The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

8 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

2021 1st round pick? Virtanen, Woo , and pieces... for the trade?

Move Ericksson with Demko to make cap space

After Eriksson bonus is paid depending on how hard Arizona sells they might be willing to take Eriksson, if he accepted a trade there - which honestly I doubt. He is only owned about 4m of 12m in cap hit over 2 years. That would look nice to an extremely cheap ownership group.

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

Laine for OEL and prospects? 

Laine is due for a big contract and is already getting paid near OEL dollars. I don't see why ownership would want to cut $$$ and then take on a similar contract in a far less established player.  I would imagine they are after draft picks and prospects that have a very low salary.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Laine is due for a big contract and is already getting paid near OEL dollars. I don't see why ownership would want to cut $$$ and then take on a similar contract in a far less established player.  I would imagine they are after draft picks and prospects that have a very low salary.

I don't think it's about shedding salary. It's about OEL wanting a chance on a real team 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

AZ ownership is going to want a known name to market imo, I doubt they want to go into rebuild mode now. 

Its really tough to move players like this, you have to go find similar salaries AND have it make some sense in improving your team.

I guess TO could package the 15th oa, their 2021 1st and Nylander. That might get it done. 

Just now, Baer. said:

I don't think it's about shedding salary. It's about OEL wanting a chance on a real team 

Well, if it's OEL who wants to move then there is no way he is going to a bottom feeder. He is going to a playoff team and there aren't many that can take him on. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

After Eriksson bonus is paid depending on how hard Arizona sells they might be willing to take Eriksson, if he accepted a trade there - which honestly I doubt. He is only owned about 4m of 12m in cap hit over 2 years. That would look nice to an extremely cheap ownership group.

The previous ownership was cheap but not sure Meruelo is.  It sounded like Arizona finally had an owner willing to spend.  

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

AZ ownership is going to want a known name to market imo, I doubt they want to go into rebuild mode now. 

Its really tough to move players like this, you have to go find similar salaries AND have it make some sense in improving your team.

I guess TO could package the 15th oa, their 2021 1st and Nylander. That might get it done. 

It's really going to depend on who is initiating this trade request ownership or OEL. If its ownership the value of the return is not going to be the same as it will be if its OEL.

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Even 2 million a year for a 35 year old guy is way too much for a cheap owner looking to fill spots on 4th line.  Now if Eriksson was a center....

Just now, Drakrami said:

Dont think a 22 year old Dmen is going to get 10m a year. Seth Jones is on a 5.4mil/year contract. 

Seth Jones was not yet one of the best Ds in the league when he signed that deal.  He had just been traded to Columbus after playing on Nashville's 3rd pairing and was a 30pt D over the full season.  The potential to be a D1 was there but it was not yet realised when he signed his extension.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

It's really going to depend on who is initiating this trade request ownership or OEL. If its ownership the value of the return is not going to be the same as it will be if its OEL.

sounds like both. He's pretty far removed from those 20 goal seasons, but still has a lot left at 29 so it does make sense to move him now. He might be really tired of the gong show as well. 

I keep thinking Winnipeg - they are one of the few teams with lots of cap space and a star to move back. OEL would be an awesome add for WPG and they could even take another roster F back to help AZ clear space. 

10 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Dont think a 22 year old Dmen is going to get 10m a year. Seth Jones is on a 5.4mil/year contract. 

Hard to tell. When was the last time there was a d-man as good as Quinn Hughes at age 20?

I don't think people quite understand yet that Quinn Hughes is a true generational player, like McDavid or Gretz or Crosby. Yes. I said it. He is going to be that good.

He finished 14th overall in Rookie scoring by a defeseman with 53 points in 68 games. He has the most points by a rookie d-man in the last 28 years since (guess who?) Nicklas Lidstrom in 1991-92. And Lidstrom had 60 points in 80 games, which Hughes would have easily beaten if his season wasn't cut short by covid.

Hughes is way better than Seth Jones, way better than OEL even at just 20 years old. I don't think $10m is unreasonable for an 8 year deal because you are paying for the later prime years. You get him from 22-30 years old. With inflation, a Quinn Hughes at 25 or 26 might demand $14m a year. Who knows.

I think Pettersson and Hughes negotiate identical contracts like Toews and Kane. So $10 mil each. They might take $9m each to be generous to the team.

Edited by DonaldBrashear

Just now, Robert Long said:

sounds like both. He's pretty far removed from those 20 goal seasons, but still has a lot left at 29 so it does make sense to move him now. He might be really tired of the gong show as well. 

I keep thinking Winnipeg - they are one of the few teams with lots of cap space and a star to move back. OEL would be an awesome add for WPG and they could even take another roster F back to help AZ clear space. 

The first team that comes to my mind are The Avs. They have a ton of cap space the next 2 years and for what he is the 8.5 cap hit is a very good contract fits with their cheap contracts. The Avs would be scary with Makar and OEL. They would still have a ton of cap space afterwards as well. 

Just now, DonaldBrashear said:

Hard to tell. When was the last time there was a d-man as good as Quinn Hughes at age 20?

I don't think people quite understand yet that Quinn Hughes is a true generational player, like McDavid or Gretz or Crosby. Yes. I said it. He is going to be that good.

He finished 14th overall in Rookie scoring by a defeseman with 53 points in 68 games. He has the most points by a rookie d-man in the last 28 years since (guess who?) Nicklas Lidstrom in 1991-92. And Lidstrom had 60 points in 80 games, which Hughes would have easily beaten if his season wasn't cut short by covid.

Hughes is way better than Seth Jones, way better than OEL even at just 20 years old. I don't think $10m is unreasonable for an 8 year deal because you are paying for the later prime years. You get him from 22-30 years old. With inflation, a Quinn Hughes at 25 or 26 might demand $14m a year. Who knows.

I think Pettersson and Hughes negotiate identical contracts like Toews and Kane. So $10 mil each. They might take $9m each to be generous to the team.

Heiskanen, Makar and Theodore is signed to a ridiculous Mackinnon like contract. If I was JB I would be saying Theodore only makes 5.2m. I don't see him getting 10m. I think him and Pettersson come in around 7m.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

The first team that comes to my mind are The Avs. They have a ton of cap space the next 2 years and for what he is the 8.5 cap hit is a very good contract fits with their cheap contracts. The Avs would be scary with Makar and OEL. They would still have a ton of cap space afterwards as well. 

oh god, I didn't think of that. :shock: I hope OEL hates playing at high altitudes. 

8 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

oh god, I didn't think of that. :shock: I hope OEL hates playing at high altitudes. 

If Girard was going back to Arizona they would easily have enough cap space to sigh Pietrangelo as well and their RFA's and then still have a ton of cap space the next year, lol.

48 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Owners were just talking to him to tell him they were rebuilding, right? smh. (I am not directing this at you OP) It was pretty clear they were talking to him to tell him to waive that NMC. Owners do not just go and meet with a player to tell them they are rebuilding, lol. The logic some people have. 

Where in that tweet does it suggest that they didn't discuss rebuilding and seeing the possibility if he wants to move to a contender? We literally did that with the Sedins and Edler and they wanted to stay. All this suggests is OEL is willing to move. Talk about logic.