The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

22 hours ago, peaches5 said:

OEL has a full NMC. He is not going to list Ottawa, NJ or LA as places he wants to go. I highly doubt it anyways. I wouldn't imagine he would go from one dumpster fire to another. Let's wait to see how many times he puts on his trade list. 

Wait...what?

LA is a great place to live, and they have Doughty, Kopitar, one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, and the #2 pick in this draft. They are going to be good again, really soon.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Keep in mind that just about every double digit contract in the league was signed when the cap was lower than it is now.  Top end players will always get their money.  

For sure.

And if Pettersson is willing to sign for $10M, I bet Benning will jump on that with an 8-year deal.

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They said that about Edmonton too though.  :lol:

Edmonton was handed top picks. Not until recently did they seem to have any semblance of a plan of how to support said picks.

L.A. has a quality veteran C who can handle match-ups in Kopitar, and one of the better #1 D-men in the league in Doughty. Those are 2 key things that the Oilers totally missed the boat on. And unlike Edmonton, L.A. is also an attractive destination for free agents.

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Keep in mind that just about every double digit contract in the league was signed when the cap was lower than it is now.  Top end players will always get their money.  

Yes, but there was definitely cap inflation factored into it when you are talking about max term contracts.  They have historically been good deals after a few years as the cap goes up.

Now we are looking at probably 5 years of effectively flat cap, and maybe not big increases right after.  The players are going to owe escrow for a long time due to the 20% cap.

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If OEL is going anywhere it's Carolina, New York, New Jersey or Columbus

Carolina already has a top-4 of Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Skjei. 

Columbus is one of the best defensive teams in the league and already has Jones and Werenski.  They need help up front but not on D. 

NYR is in cap trouble.  Strome, DeAngelo need extensions and it won't be that easy to move Lundqvist.

New Jersey has the cap space and the draft picks.  But they moved Hall as he was too old for their core.  That was under Shero but Fitzgerald does say that their pillars to build around are Hischier, Hughes and Blackwood.  They might feel he's too old for their core although they do say defence is their weakness. At his age they might prefer someone for 3-4 years and not 7.   OEL has a NMC and might not want to go on a rebuilding team either.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Carolina already has a top-4 of Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Skjei. 

Columbus is one of the best defensive teams in the league and already has Jones and Werenski.  They need help up front but not on D. 

NYR is in cap trouble.  Strome, DeAngelo need extensions and it won't be that easy to move Lundqvist.

New Jersey has the cap space and the draft picks.  But they moved Hall as he was too old for their core.  That was under Shero but Fitzgerald does say that their pillars to build around are Hischier, Hughes and Blackwood.  They might feel he's too old for their core although they do say defence is their weakness. At his age they might prefer someone for 3-4 years and not 7.   OEL has a NMC and might not want to go on a rebuilding team either.

OEL has a  lot left in the tank tho, and you do need real veteran leaders even with a young core. I don't think they are going to pull an Edmonton.

NJ makes the most sense to me from a pick-recovery and salary pov. Maybe even roster players. I can see OEL being pretty excited about joining such a young talented group. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

OEL has a  lot left in the tank tho, and you do need real veteran leaders even with a young core. I don't think they are going to pull an Edmonton.

NJ makes the most sense to me from a pick-recovery and salary pov. Maybe even roster players. I can see OEL being pretty excited about joining such a young talented group. 

They didn't want to extend Hall as they felt he was too old.  Would they feel the same about OEL who is even older.  I don't know.

Edited by mll

5 minutes ago, mll said:

They didn't want to extend Hall as they felt he was too old.  Would they feel the same about OEL who is even older.  I don't know.

different players, different roles, different management. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

different players, different roles, different management. 

Fitzgerald traded Coleman (28) at the TDL because on the long term he didn't fit the age group of their core - he was up for an extension in a year.  Shero was already fired in January.  

They still have Subban, Palmieri and Zajac as veterans. Beat writer Masisak thinks that NJD might not want to extend both Palmieri/Gusev in a year because they are not in their core age group.  He thinks maybe 1 but not both.

OEL would be a good add for the immediate but he is 29.  They might be concerned that his game will be tailing off when their team is ready to compete and it's 8.25M against the cap.  NJD is also into advanced stats and have apparently increased the role of the department.  That's also going to influence their interest or not.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

For sure.

And if Pettersson is willing to sign for $10M, I bet Benning will jump on that with an 8-year deal.

Unless Pettersson has some amazing season where he scores 100+ points he is going to be signed between 7-8.5M. The Cap is not going up and he hasn't shown he is worth 10M+ It makes no sense to sign him to 8x10m. You sign him for 7-8.5m until he has 1 RFA year left and then he can have his 10M+ 8 year deal. The only way he should get an 8 year deal is if he is taking 7-9M, then the later years are at a pretty good discount.

People have to stop using what Dubas did as way to gauge young RFA contracts. Everyone was saying Boeser was coming in at 7M or higher and he signed for 5.87M. Brayden Point was supposed to be a 9M+ player and he came in at 6.75M for 3 years. Rantanen is little high, I think, but still under 10M at 9.2M and Colorado had a plethora of cap space. Draisatl is making 8.5M.. When you look at all these good young RFA's signing contracts they are signing for less than what was "reported" and this was before COVID. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, mll said:

Fitzgerald traded Coleman (28) at the TDL because on the long term he didn't fit the age group of their core - he was up for an extension in a year.  Shero was already fired in January.  

They still have Subban, Palmieri and Zajac as veterans. Beat writer Masisak thinks that NJD might not want to extend both Palmieri/Gusev in a year because they are not in their core age group.  He thinks maybe 1 but not both.

OEL would be a good add for the immediate but he is 29.  They might be concerned that his game will be tailing off when their team is ready to compete and it's 8.25M against the cap.  NJD is also into advanced stats and have apparently increased the role of the department.  That's also going to influence their interest or not.

sure, but any time you have a chance to add elite talent you do it. This isn't a depth move, its bringing in a 1D.

With the resources they have, they could shed PK as well. 

On 8/27/2020 at 1:12 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Matthews for OEL.

Toronto rage quits? 

I don't think this is as far fetched as some might think. I don't think it will happen, and it would take more than OEL to get Matthews, but Toronto needs to rebalance the team. The logical one to move for me would be Matthews as I think he ultimately wants to move to Arizona when this contract expires anyway.

Not that I want to "fix" Toronto or anything, but Matthews and a 3rd for OEL and Dvorak and maybe one other smaller part, might push Toronto over the edge. They are too top heavy on salary up front. They need a major upgrade on defense to really go anywhere.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:06 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I don't think Dubas is stupid enough to add another 8 million dollar right now with the cap not going anywhere the next 2 seasons.  

You sure about that? I mean look what he’s got them into. Where are all

those people saying we need to model

our team after the “shannaplan”? 

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2020 at 8:36 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn’t trade Hughes straight up for Jones.

I don’t think Hughes is close to Jones yet but I think his ceiling is much much higher than Jones, so def would not do that trade, Hughes and boeser for Jones and Pierre luc Dubois tho now we’re on to something lol 

• Wat 1