The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If Girard was going back to Arizona they would easily have enough cap space to sigh Pietrangelo as well and their RFA's and then still have a ton of cap space the next year, lol.

I could see this happening.  There could be a few ways for the Avs to swing this.  If they have OEL, then they might not need Byram though, if I'm Arizona, I probably am more interested in Girard since he's still so young and he's actually proven to be a NHL D.

3 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

No thanks. Quinn Hughes is going to be getting $10m a year. We can't afford $17m for two defensemen.

Thanks, needed this. I kept thinking wow OEL is quite a player can we afford him ?   But you are right. we can afford other shutdown defencemen for cheaper as we have our elite offensive talent on the back end already 

53 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If Girard was going back to Arizona they would easily have enough cap space to sigh Pietrangelo as well and their RFA's and then still have a ton of cap space the next year, lol.

stop it. 

Just now, peaches5 said:

I know right like how would you beat them, lol. 

By going for the favorable matchups lower down the line, but then with petro and oel and makar that’s just brutal. On my plus side is while they may have the space for it, eventually the cap will bite and it could mean they have a soft underbelly 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

I know right like how would you beat them, lol. 

you have to think at some point MacKinnon would start to get a little annoyed at so many contracts bigger than his on the team as well. If they bring in more long term guys and it forces him to stay in the 6 mil range I could see that bothering a guy, even though he's said it hasn't in the past. 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

By going for the favorable matchups lower down the line, but then with petro and oel and makar that’s just brutal. On my plus side is while they may have the space for it, eventually the cap will bite and it could mean they have a soft underbelly 

They would have another 20m in cap space the next year.. and Mackinnon for another 3 years at 6.3m and the you're getting into the range of the cap going up.. They really wouldn't have much cap problems..especially if Mackinnon signed cheap again. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

you have to think at some point MacKinnon would start to get a little annoyed at so many contracts bigger than his on the team as well. If they bring in more long term guys and it forces him to stay in the 6 mil range I could see that bothering a guy, even though he's said it hasn't in the past. 

I don't think he cares about money at all. He said he wants to win and would sign that contract again if he could go back.

Just now, peaches5 said:

I don't think he cares about money at all. He said he wants to win and would sign that contract again if he could go back.

Would be nice if Petey and Hughes took a 6mill contract. However I don’t expect them to, nor should they

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

well thats very generous of him to fund his other team mates like that. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

well thats very generous of him to fund his other team mates like that. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanches-mackinnon-contract-next-deal-ill-take-less/

“Obviously it’s pretty (team) friendly now, but I was worth that at the time,” the Colorado Avalanche captain told Forbes’ Jordan Horrobin on Wednesday. “…I have no regrets.”

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon told Horrobin.

On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.

Just now, Robert Long said:

yikes. I wonder if theyd be willing to move Kotkaniemi? 

I'm not sure Arizona will have the leverage in this situation to demand the principal they may have otherwise been able to - had OEL not had a NMC - had the entire league not been in a covid economic crunch, and had they not created this tire fire from within where they need to deal their franchise player.

I'd start with Drouin if I'm Montreal and add pieces like Fleury, Lekhonen, perhaps a pick or two, a placeholder like Kulak.... I joked in the other thread about a lowball like this (meaning I think the principal element - Drouin - is a lowball)  - but players don't always return what is expected, particularly when you add the length of this contract to the variables.  If I'm Montreal, I'm also trying to 'relieve' them of Dvorak (and his 4.45 million) in the process.  I'd love to see Montreal take them to the cleaners.  If Dvorak were included perhaps Poehling goes the other way....?

Someone might throw a player like Kotkaniemi at Arizona - I would not - however -  at the same time, how many teams will be in a position to move the assets, have the cap (ie to move an ELC as the principal), and be on OEL's list of acceptable destinations.   For me - that looks like a relatively short list where Arizona's leverage could be debatable.

Arizona has also gone about their 'rething' = "improperly" lol.

Soderberg and Goligoski (and Richardson) = 35 yrs old

Kessel, Grabner, Hjalmarsson = 33

Demers 32

Ranta 31

Stepan 30

6 of their top 8 minute munchers are in that list - and both their goaltenders.

Hall is on the verge of 29 (he's one of the two not there - and he's a UFA - as are Soderberg and Richardson).

They're not that young a team.  They were acting like a "win now" franchise.  They probably won't be looking for a string of futures - but an asset or two that keeps them competitive.

But all factors that can be considererd - I don't go into that negotiation (ie if I'm Montreal) - with a 'must have' approach.  I'd have a 'take it or leave it' approach - and if someone else wants to give them Matthews - so be it.  If I'm the Leafs I probably want players like Keller, Chychrun as opposed to continuing to go short-game, all in on their short core.

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Heiskanen, Makar and Theodore is signed to a ridiculous Mackinnon like contract. If I was JB I would be saying Theodore only makes 5.2m. I don't see him getting 10m. I think him and Pettersson come in around 7m.

your dreaming if u think petey isnt getting paid large 

• Upvote 1