The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

The Friday deadline is fine.  Benning can have all the paperwork on TT, CT & JM but also let those agents know if he’s going to sign those papers or not prior to free agency opening on Friday.  Meanwhile, the player agents will already have been working on their clients’ “plan B” options.  That’s literally a player agent’s job.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

I don't think this favours Boston at all. He's basically forcing their hand to say if you want me come get me or take your chances with Krug who may just walk in FA.

sure it does. It lets them know they have all week to decide on Krug or OEL. We can't wait that long without risking losing other players. 

One thing that is clear here Vancouver media has proven they are absolutely clueless like Andrew Walker who said Vancouver was OEL's number 1 choice and that has since been swatted down along with a lot of other crap they've tweeted/discussed. I have no idea how these guys have jobs. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I don't think this favours Boston at all. He's basically forcing their hand to say if you want me come get me or take your chances with Krug who may just walk in FA.

I agree on this. Boston was hoping to wait till FA opened up and see if Krug would circle back to them and take a discounted deal if they couldn't get him to accept a discounted resign deal.

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

sure it does. It lets them know they have all week to decide on Krug or OEL. We can't wait that long without risking losing other players. 

They are negotiating with Krug and now they will have to expedite their negotiations and possibly overpay because if they don't OEL will be off the table come Friday... This favours Vancouver. Boston might just walk away completely now.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

One thing that is clear here Vancouver media has proven they are absolutely clueless like Andrew Walker who said Vancouver was OEL was number 1 choice and that has since been swatted down along with a lot of other crap they've tweeted/discussed. I have no idea how these guys have jobs. 

Radio people have no connections...it is there job to stir the pot and gain viewership etc. Plus, Walker is a back east homer is he not!?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

jim benning better not get fleeced if he makes this trade. Arizona is in the same situation we were in with Kesler, him only wanting to go two teams, and we got fleeced in that trade. 

We didn't get fleeced. Bonino + Sbisa + 1st +  3rd for Kesler + 3rd. The trade Proposals people are giving here are nowhere near as good as what we got for Kesler.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

They are negotiating with Krug and now they will have to expedite their negotiations and possibly overpay because if they don't OEL will be off the table come Friday... This favours Vancouver. Boston might just walk away completely now.

but thats all Boston has to worry about. Jim has 3 UFAs and cap to clear too. If Jim waits until Friday morning, he may lose all 3 of his UFAs and not get OEL either. The Canucks are in the more complicated scenario by far on this. We need AZ, or someone, to take cap for this to work for us. Thats not going to happen Friday morning in free agency. 

My preference would be for Jim to tell AZ end of the day today or he moves on. OEL would be a nice get, but we have many other options, but we burn some of those by waiting until Friday morning. 

10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

TSN 1040 always ahead of 650

Glad to see he is maintaining Boston or Vancouver. I also get why he wanted to set a deadline. He has his no trade clause for a reason. I’m sure he doesn’t want to keep thinking about being moved every day he wakes up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

but this move only serves to help Boston. They don't need to clear any cap and it gives them all week to decide on Krug vs OEL. 

The Canucks otoh have multiple things at play to make this work. 

If I were Jim I'd set 4pm today as "our deadline" and walk if nothing happens. 

I don't really think we should be reading into the deadline he set as a team preference decision. More likely he doesn't want this drawn out. If nothing happens, Arizona's going to have to look at losing a good prospect to ditch Hossa's LTIR contract to get them compliant for next season. I also don't see Arizona waiting until after the draft if there's a 2020 pick in a trade offer (Bos 2nd, or Van 3rd)

Just now, peaches5 said:

We didn't get fleeced. Bonino + Sbisa + 1st +  3rd for Kesler + 3rd. The trade Proposals people are giving here are nowhere near as good as what we got for Kesler.

Bonino became Sutter who was usless, Sbisa was a plug,  traded the Mccann for another plug defenceman.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

I don't really think we should be reading into the deadline he set as a team preference decision. More likely he doesn't want this drawn out. If nothing happens, Arizona's going to have to look at losing a good prospect to ditch Hossa's LTIR contract to get them compliant for next season. I also don't see Arizona waiting until after the draft if there's a 2020 pick in a trade offer (Bos 2nd, or Van 3rd)

maybe not, but it doesn't make this simpler for us, imo it complicates things quite a bit in terms of other moves we may or may not be able to do. 

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except, in those specific negotiations that is the one deal that needs to get done without follow up deals that also need to get finished with the same deadline.  In this case they need to have “that deal” done and in the pocket (or walked away from) and then several other deals done that are dependent on that deal being done or not.  If you had any clue what you were talking about, that is a distinction that wouldn’t elude you.  I am quite aware of my own background and experience, so you wailing and gnashing your teeth is ludicrous.

So this would be a kind to having several bargaining agents that have to be done by a certain deadline and waiting to to the first one until the last minute when starting the negotiations on the other ones are dependent on the first being done (like having “me too” clauses included).

Or having several vendor contracts for construction to get done by a deadline, and not finalizing the engineering contract until the day you also have to get all the suppliers and building contractors signed as well.

You are way out of your depth trying to defend a bad misreading of your own invention.  Give it up.

It is painfully apparent to me that you needed prompting to get yourself back on track on the 'negotiation expert' profile you had tried to maintain. Yes, you should be quite aware of your background and experience - it ain't negotiating! Negotiators are unfazed, cool as a cucumber. Up to this point, you still sound to me like a nervous nelly.

What you're talking is having competing offers. Arizona is in a bind right now having to negotiate with both Boston and the Canucks. As much as Arizona wants to get rid of this contract, Armstrong's job is not to close with a "bad" deal. Again, if you understood how negotiations worked, you wouldn't be saying the stuff that you said about Benning. You are clueless in this department. I bet you get squeezed in every negotiation, and you think you are getting a good deal out of it. LOL.

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

but thats all Boston has to worry about. Jim has 3 UFAs and cap to clear too. If Jim waits until Friday morning, he may lose all 3 of his UFAs and not get OEL either. The Canucks are in the more complicated scenario by far on this. We need AZ, or someone, to take cap for this to work for us. Thats not going to happen Friday morning in free agency. 

My preference would be for Jim to tell AZ end of the day today or he moves on. OEL would be a nice get, but we have many other options, but we burn some of those by waiting until Friday morning. 

One of those players can be signed with OEL and JB likely wants that to be Markstrom. Friday comes and FA hits and we haven't gotten OEL then Tanev and Toffoli can be negotiated with like any other team can talk to them.. it's not a big deal. If someone offers them a big contract you let them walk. Boston is a true contending team and if they lose both OEL and Krug there isn't much to replace those guys for them.. They need one or the other.