The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

On the contrary, our cap issues are likely at their worst in 2021/22.

If we replace Eriksson with OEL, then his $6m cap space is already taken, likely more than that if ARZ don't retain salary on OEL.

Coming off the books next season is only Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler, Benn. This is $19.5m coming off the books.

I would say at least 3 of these guys will need direct replacement on the roster. That will cost at least $3m for 3 new players on ELC or cheap deals (e.g. from guys such as Hoglander, Lind, Podz, Jasek, Juolevi, Rafferty).

Our performance bonuses from 2020/21 are not likely getting paid this coming season, so that will be another $4.55m cap hit in 2021/22.

That leaves $12m to pay for Pettersson, Hughes and Demko's pay rises. Not enough!

We are going to have to hope that Seattle takes a player with significant salary in the expansion draft (maybe Myers, Beagle or Roussel) just to make it all fit. Possibly buy out or trade the likes of Roussel, Beagle. Waive Ferland to the AHL as soon as he is considered healthy again (since his NMC shifts to m-NTC) to save $1m instead of having a full $3.5m anchor on the NHL roster.

We are certainly not opening up enough space to sign any FA difference makers. Not sure what you are getting excited about...

You hit the nail on the head, right there. Benning has already stated that he has 6 - 7 guys who will be NHL ready over the next 2 seasons and that we will be filling lineup from there.

As far as Ferland goes, I doubt that he will ever come off LTIR, considering how many times he's tried.

All teams with players like Pettersson and Huges, deal with constant cap issues. Is what it is, trust that Benning has a plan, he has stated that they have mapped this out 100 different ways and has access to a LOT more data than any of us do.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

You hit the nail on the head, right there. Benning has already stated that he has 6 - 7 guys who will be NHL ready over the next 2 seasons and that we will be filling lineup from there.

As far as Ferland goes, I doubt that he will ever come off LTIR, considering how many times he's tried.

All teams with players like Pettersson and Huges, deal with constant cap issues. Is what it is, trust that Benning has a plan, he has stated that they have mapped this out 100 different ways and has access to a LOT more data than any of us do.

I trust Benning has a plan and yes it will include having many ELC players on the team. I'm just not sure why you are so excited about all the cap space coming up when it isn't there.

If Arizona is holding this up by waiting for Boston GM JB should have the guts to then tell Arizona he is going to pull his standing offer. If that is what is indeed happening we are the 2nd choice and JB should realize that. If Boston can sign Krug to a price they like then they will, if Krug walks as a FA tomorrow then Arizona has leverage over Boston maybe to get that better package. 

So why should the Canucks just sit around and wait...to see if our 2nd choice ends up being what Arizona chooses to take IF they even deal OEL. 

Take it or leave it offer to Arizona should be on the table today, put the pressure on them...we don't NEED to gut our prospects or picks further WHILE adding a 7yr contract at over 8m. It is not like we are getting rid of Sutter or LE with lengthy term...they are 2 players who in 2 yrs at most will be off our books. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I trust Benning has a plan and yes it will include having many ELC players on the team. I'm just not sure why you are so excited about all the cap space coming up when it isn't there.

I'm not excited about it. We'll constantly push to the limit. Its one of the reasons why players like OEL would want to be here. Will always try and shoot for the top.

38 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Because the Canucks don't have to do that. There's already a pre-existing deadline. Also, Arizona can't "dictate" the terms in the way you think. It's all about balancing the aggression. Either people are overly aggressive (which alienates your trading partners, i.e. Gillis), or not aggressive at all (taking what is given). I'm glad that no one here is part of the negotiations.

That right there tells me you have no clue on how to negotiate.  Nobody HAS to do anything when in negotiations... But the ones that do are the ones that get the good deals.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Juolevi is very highly ranked in the organization. Not on the block but perhaps a neccessary move if needed. But someone the team wants in their future.

He will play big minutes for the Canucks down the road.

totally agree, he has a lot of value which is why he'd be targeted by AZ. Have to give to get. 

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hoglander I'd consider.  Podz, no chance in hell

If I was forced to choose between the two for some reason, for sure. hard nosed Russian F and then Russian tank on d.... me likey.

I'm starting to think Jim is going to walk from all of our UFAs this year and go hunting in free agency. Wennberg at 2.5 mil e.g. vs Toffoli at 5, that kind of thing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

On the contrary, our cap issues are likely at their worst in 2021/22.

If we replace Eriksson with OEL, then his $6m cap space is already taken, likely more than that if ARZ don't retain salary on OEL.

Coming off the books next season is only Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler, Benn. This is $19.5m coming off the books.

I would say at least 3 of these guys will need direct replacement on the roster. That will cost at least $3m for 3 new players on ELC or cheap deals (e.g. from guys such as Hoglander, Lind, Podz, Jasek, Juolevi, Rafferty).

Our performance bonuses from 2020/21 are not likely getting paid this coming season, so that will be another $4.55m cap hit in 2021/22.

That leaves $12m to pay for Pettersson, Hughes and Demko's pay rises. Not enough!

We are going to have to hope that Seattle takes a player with significant salary in the expansion draft (maybe Myers, Beagle or Roussel) just to make it all fit. Possibly buy out or trade the likes of Roussel, Beagle. Waive Ferland to the AHL as soon as he is considered healthy again (since his NMC shifts to m-NTC) to save $1m instead of having a full $3.5m anchor on the NHL roster.

We are certainly not opening up enough space to sign any FA difference makers. Not sure what you are getting excited about...

Could you be any more depressing while still pointing out quality facts? Almost made me cry and had me looking for a calculator at the same time.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

If I was forced to choose between the two for some reason, for sure. hard nosed Russian F and then Russian tank on d.... me likey.

I'm starting to think Jim is going to walk from all of our UFAs this year and go hunting in free agency. Wennberg at 2.5 mil e.g. vs Toffoli at 5, that kind of thing. 

Yes I was thinking the same thing, I think tofo has inflated numbers playing with petey and wennberg or some other fish could do similar things at half the price 

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Would not mind this route at all.  Full money puck value during FA if JB can be smart about it

4 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Would not mind this route at all.  Full money puck value during FA if JB can be smart about it

what has the market been calling for? a young elite core with cap flexibility when their window opens. If Jim lets our older UFAs walk, in one year we can have that. Maybe thats the plan all along here. 

The OEL thing fell in his lap and I'm sure he'll do it if it doesn't cost too much, but he's better imo than any skater we're letting go by a long shot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Could you be any more depressing while still pointing out quality facts? Almost made me cry and had me looking for a calculator at the same time.

Haha! Sorry about that. Not trying to depress anyone! We just need to temper our expectations of how much room JB has to play with in the next 2 seasons. Things will be very tight to the cap. Many decisions will be based on whether things can be made to fit.

What will be exciting is the amount of young talent that will be infusing into the lineup over the coming seasons. We have A LOT to look forward to!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

what has the market been calling for? a young elite core with cap flexibility when their window opens. If Jim lets our older UFAs walk, in one year we can have that. Maybe thats the plan all along here. 

The OEL thing fell in his lap and I'm sure he'll do it if it doesn't cost too much, but he's better imo than any skater we're letting go by a long shot. 

Completely agree.  They had a plan in place and the OEL deal just appeared.  If we get a great deal, awesome.  If not, we're still sitting pretty for with our young core moving forward 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

I second that. Nope. 
Everyone needs to relax n stay frosty, our team is on the rise so kick back, have a drink of choice and let our GM of the year in 2021 work some magic adding to our already dynamic young core. Our ownership is on board to spend to cap year in year out, we are lucky to have that type of support.
:towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3