9OA

Schmidt (5.95m x4 years)

Erikkson (6mill 1 year AAV)

Jouveli

To Vancouver

OEL(8.24 x 5 years)

Christian Dvorak(4.45 x 4years) 25 yrs old

Overpayment with the 9th OEL is not that good

The next 3 years his actual salary is 10.5 mil per year. The year after is 8 mil. Thats 39.5 mil of the 66 mil overall contract cash owed over those 4 years. Thats reason #1 they want to move him now.

He dropped over 2 min per game ice time this past season. Thats not a coincidence. His game is starting to decline. Arizona knows they dont need him at his salary and cap hit.

Even last offseason, when Benning was chasing him, many articles were written about how his advanced stats were sharply declining and his overall play was regressing. This past season only continued that trend.

Trading for 6 years of a guy based not on what he actually is now but on what he did 4 or 5 years ago is a terrible way to build out this team. Add in the fact he doesnt solve the biggest issue on D - namely giving Hughes (you know, the guy they should be building around) a RHD partner who can play a physical, defensive style at a true top pairing level - and this is a bigger waste of money than 1 year of Eriksson.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is why Benning should make a lowball offer and have them retain salary.

If OEL prefers to play here maybe he only accepts that deal. Worth a shot IMO.

As long as Benning doesn’t spend too much time on it this offseason.

I don't think it had as much effect as people claim. Marky and Tanev wanted to go to UFA to test the market and get the best offer. We wanted to re-sign Toffoli but had to deal with goaltending and defence first. We couldn't move out salary at a reasonable cost. I don't think the OEL negotiations had any effect on that.

I'm sure at least Loui and one other contract were going to go back the other way. Arizona wanted to keep negotiating but OEL stuck to his deadline.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Nah getting dvorak is easily worth our 1st and also makes our defense better. 

Take another look at our D

Left side:

Hughes

OEL

Rathbone

Right side:

Myers

Even if you re-sign Hamonic who else is playing on the right? They wont have any cap to sign anyone good enough to partner with Hughes. 

OEL is just another Schmidt really but on the left side. Its not a huge upgrade and considering how much production those 2 Coyotes players got on the PP last year, who are they replacing on our top unit to replicate those numbers?

This trade makes our D even more unbalanced than it already is.

Use 9OA and that cap to get a partner for Hughes. Guaranteed they wont cost assets plus 8.25 mil per season.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Take another look at our D

Left side:

Hughes

OEL

Rathbone

Right side:

Myers

Even if you re-sign Hamonic who else is playing on the right? They wont have any cap to sign anyone good enough to partner with Hughes. 

OEL is just another Schmidt really but on the left side. Its not a huge upgrade and considering how much production those 2 Coyotes players got on the PP last year, who are they replacing on our top unit to replicate those numbers?

This trade makes our D even more unbalanced than it already is.

Use 9OA and that cap to get a partner for Hughes. Guaranteed they wont cost assets plus 8.25 mil per season.

Watcha mean i sent out 13 mill in salary and brought 13 mill in. We sign 2 cheap guys like we had to do anyways. Tho this time we have the perfect 3C signed for 4 yrs to play with podz. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What do you mean arizona takes on arizona if they get rathbone? Like in a fight?

Typo on my part.  I’ll edit.  I meant Arizona takes on Eriksson if they get Rathbone from us.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Nah getting dvorak is easily worth our 1st and also makes our defense better. 

I think Arizona makes this deal in a heartbeat which tells me it’s an overpayment. IMO OEL doesn’t fill any of our glaring needs on d (big, rugged stay at home defensive RD). This is a trade JB can’t afford to get wrong and there is way too much risk just to add a center. Id much rather spend the assets you listed to target only a RD and center.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I think Arizona makes this deal in a heartbeat which tells me it’s an overpayment. IMO OEL doesn’t fill any of our glaring needs on d (big, rugged stay at home defensive RD). This is a trade JB can’t afford to get wrong and there is way too much risk just to add a center. Id much rather spend the assets you listed to target only a RD and center.

Well wouldnt OEL just be substituted for edler? Except edler was never as good as OEL so this automatically makes our D better. For me getting a center this offseason is most important and dvorak is young and really good. Plus hes signed for 4 years. 

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well wouldnt OEL just be substituted for edler? Except edler was never as good as OEL so this automatically makes our D better. For me getting a center this offseason is most important and dvorak is young and really good. Plus hes signed for 4 years. 

I like the Dvorak side of your trade a lot but I think a trade like that can be accomplished without as many assets & risk. For me the salary and term for OEL are not worth the gamble that he’s not past his prime and the fact that he’s not a righty just adds to the problem.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I like the Dvorak side of your trade a lot but I think a trade like that can be accomplished without as many assets & risk. For me the salary and term for OEL are not worth the gamble that he’s not past his prime and the fact that he’s not a righty just adds to the problem.

Well tampa is running with 3 leftys on D with 

hedman (7.8)

McDonough (6.7)

sergachev(4.8)

total 19.3 mill

nucks would be

hughes (5.5-6)

OEL (8.2)

rathbone(.925)

Total 15.125

i dont believe hes past his prime. He can kill penalties for us and be solid. Next offseason we find a RHD in the 5-6 mill area. I dont mind it at all. Tho my prime focus is dvorak lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

A replacement for Edler is pretty far down the list of needs. Plus, we already have one who OEL would not be a significant upgrade on, namely Schmidt. Move Schmidt back to the left side and play him with Hamonic. That instantly makes Schmidt more like the player he was in Vegas. Use picks and prospects if needed to move out some cap. Use 9OA and Juolevi as trade chips, along with free agency, to get a top pairing physical RHD to play with Hughes and a 3C (or top 6 winger if the plan is to use EP, Miller, Horvat as centers).

Ekman-Larson is declining at 5 on 5. The numbers are not flattering to him. He still produces on the PP but I dont see him anywhere but the 2nd unit in Van so his effectiveness will likely drop there as well. He is not overly physical. He is also not the player he was 4 or 5 years ago.

The risk of 6 more years at 8.25 with a nmc is astronomically and needlessly high. Made only worse when the holes it would create are taken into account.

• Cheers 2