McDonough (6.7)

sergachev(4.8)

total 19.3 mill

nucks would be

hughes (5.5-6)

OEL (8.2)

rathbone(.925)

Total 15.125

i dont believe hes past his prime. He can kill penalties for us and be solid. Next offseason we find a RHD in the 5-6 mill area. I dont mind it at all. Tho my prime focus is dvorak lol

Do we really need another LHD, especially one with an 8.25 mil cap hit, to kill penalties? He is declining at 5 on 5 and wont be on the top PP in Van. We can have Juolevi or Rathbone do that for a fraction of the cost. And I would say both Hughes and Rathbone should be getting the lions share of the PP time. 

Your Tampa to Van comparison is really not that flattering to Van.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Do we really need another LHD, especially one with an 8.25 mil cap hit, to kill penalties? He is declining at 5 on 5 and wont be on the top PP in Van. We can have Juolevi or Rathbone do that for a fraction of the cost. And I would say both Hughes and Rathbone should be getting the lions share of the PP time. 

Your Tampa to Van comparison is really not that flattering to Van.

Price wise its fine for us. The sounds of it u think OEL shouldnt even be in the league anymore lmao. Anyways i dont see it happening anyways, better for us to keep the same d as last season. Tho we should kick the tires on dvorak 

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Price wise its fine for us. The sounds of it u think OEL shouldnt even be in the league anymore lmao. Anyways i dont see it happening anyways. Tho we should kick the tires on dvorak 

Nah, OEL is still a good dman. Just not at all worth the risk of his contract term, cap hit, and nmc. I don't see him an a huge upgrade to an area we actually need an upgrade.

Dvorak I would be ok exploring a trade for. Just not sure he is worth a top 10 pick.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:05 AM, Master Mind said:

His talent has been wasting away there for long enough. Don't blame him for wanting to move on.

Why sign an albatross contract (?); instead he could had gambled on himself and waited till free agency.  If JB does this deal: that contract is not going to age well  -  Suter deal as one example and many more.   Imo, it should be Arizona including assets to rid themselves of that bad decision and JB would be a fool to be paying them (any) assets & cap relief from that contract.  He is a good d but nothing special and is perhaps starting his regression as most players that signs a retirement type contract tends to do.    The team has OJ & other (unknown) lottery tickets that Shaw can build up and there is no guarantee he will even perform in Greens system; also the carrot of a big contract is gone.

I taught this rumour of him to the Canucks was dead - it seems Arizona is desperate to create a market.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Not this again...stay far far away JB we don't need an 8m LHD we need RHD and a #3C. Don't &^@# this team up, or actually make this stupid trade and I hope it blows up in your face so you can finally get fired for screwing the cap for even longer !

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A replacement for Edler is pretty far down the list of needs.

I'd say its pretty high up the list. Who's going to replace him for important matchups and PK time? its not OJ, Hughes or Rathbone. We have all seen Edlers decline but we are worse without him, or a veteran like him.

Plus, we already have one who OEL would not be a significant upgrade on, namely Schmidt. Move Schmidt back to the left side and play him with Hamonic. That instantly makes Schmidt more like the player he was in Vegas.

how does that "instantly" make Nate more the same player? he'd be on the left side for one thing. Would Hamonic be the same as McNabb? you have no idea if this would work out the same. It was only a tiny sample size but they didn't do well together: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/nate-schmidt

Use picks and prospects if needed to move out some cap. Use 9OA and Juolevi as trade chips, along with free agency, to get a top pairing physical RHD to play with Hughes and a 3C (or top 6 winger if the plan is to use EP, Miller, Horvat as centers).

Ekman-Larson is declining at 5 on 5. The numbers are not flattering to him. He still produces on the PP but I dont see him anywhere but the 2nd unit in Van so his effectiveness will likely drop there as well. He is not overly physical. He is also not the player he was 4 or 5 years ago.

The risk of 6 more years at 8.25 with a nmc is astronomically and needlessly high. Made only worse when the holes it would create are taken into account.

OEL at the right price is a player we can use thats an upgrade. Figuring out what the right price is, well thats the hard part but I think you're straining to paint him as a bad player. 

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol what arizona needs to do is retain some cap but the canucks will take on the full salary not sure if that's allowed but that would be perfect lol they don't can't afford the 30mil and we can but don't want to deal with the cap lol

That’s a lot of ‘lol’ comments.  Do you have a ‘love of lollipops’, and you’re sucking on one while typing?  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well tampa is running with 3 leftys on D with 

hedman (7.8)

McDonough (6.7)

sergachev(4.8)

total 19.3 mill

nucks would be

hughes (5.5-6)

OEL (8.2)

rathbone(.925)

Total 15.125

i dont believe hes past his prime. He can kill penalties for us and be solid. Next offseason we find a RHD in the 5-6 mill area. I dont mind it at all. Tho my prime focus is dvorak lol

I wouldn't want all of OELs salary unless we could get him for a bargain, something like OJ + 2nd + Loui. 

Arizona really isn't in a strong negotiation position, probably even less so now than pre-covid. If Jim could pull this off without sacrificing Rathbone or our 9th oa, I'd be happy with it. 

As in many things, its all about the price. But there's no doubt he'd be a nice upgrade to our d group. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd say its pretty high up the list. Who's going to replace him for important matchups and PK time? its not OJ, Hughes or Rathbone. We have all seen Edlers decline but we are worse without him, or a veteran like him.

how does that "instantly" make Nate more the same player? he'd be on the left side for one thing. Would Hamonic be the same as McNabb? you have no idea if this would work out the same. It was only a tiny sample size but they didn't do well together: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/nate-schmidt

OEL at the right price is a player we can use thats an upgrade. Figuring out what the right price is, well thats the hard part but I think you're straining to paint him as a bad player. 

Is Arizona willing to eat 2.5-3m for the length of the contract? No way I want him at his full cap hit for that contract length. I would honestly rather just keep Schmidt and look to make a move for a RHD in FA or trade. Edler on a cheap 1 yr deal to do PK on 3rd pair is much better than this OEL all over again, unless Arizona is paying us to take on these high salary years where he makes over 10m a year but even then, what could they give us to make it worth taking the chance on being stuck with a boat anchor contract...something we have been stuck with for 5 years already, want to do that again while trying to be a playoff team..risky!

• Like 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Is Arizona willing to eat 2.5-3m for the length of the contract? No way I want him at his full cap hit for that contract length. I would honestly rather just keep Schmidt and look to make a move for a RHD in FA or trade. Edler on a cheap 1 yr deal to do PK on 3rd pair is much better than this OEL all over again, unless Arizona is paying us to take on these high salary years where he makes over 10m a year but even then, what could they give us to make it worth taking the chance on being stuck with a boat anchor contract...something we have been stuck with for 5 years already, want to do that again while trying to be a playoff team..risky!

AZ might eat all that salary if the 9th is in play, which I hope it isn't. If we can take OEL on a bargain deal then I think we can make it work, might have to buy out his last year or two if things go sideways. 

If we can get this done with 2nd tier assets like a 2nd, OJ, Lind, etc. the sure lets do it. AZ needs more NHL ready prospects and picks. But I don't want to lose the 9th for OEL, thats too much. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yup.  OEL is now a negative value contract.  But to get him under our cap for the coming season we would need to ship them Loui.  Would Arizona take Loui for one year to dump all of OEL’s contract?  I think I’d be okay if that was the deal.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  OEL is now a negative value contract.  But to get him under our cap for the coming season we would need to ship them Loui.  Would Arizona take Loui for one year to dump all of OEL’s contract?  I think I’d be okay if that was the deal.  

They would have to, but only way I make a deal for OEL is if LE & Myers are part of it. Myers has term left, so does Schmidt but I think he is a much better D than Myers.

Sign Hamonic to a 2 or 3 year deal, play Schmidt on the right side and look to trade for or sign a RHD in FA.

Hughes Trade target D we acquire/sign in FA like Larsson

OEL Schmidt

Rathbone Hamonic

OJ ( if still with team, may go to Seattle if unprotected)

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

AZ is going to retain 1/2 on a Kessel deal too, and take back salary on that one for some team I bet. Might was well pencil in AZ for a top 4 pick next year now, they are going to stink. 

Loui has to be part of the deal, otherwise we can't do it anyway. I know what you'r saying about "negative value" and the risk there, but there is a price/trade that could make sense for us, at least for the next 3 years of OELs deal. 

I doubt that the Canucks are the team that will acquire OEL. As to what was mentioned, the Coyotes are working on a trade and if the price is agreed upon then they will see if OEL is willing to accept going to that team. Which more likely means not Boston or Vancouver, his preferred destinations last year.

It could be any team really, more likely an Eastern team that thinks they can make the playoffs and compete ie :Philly with Gostisbehere or Pitts: with one of Matheson or Pettersson on the way back plus some other way of evening out the money.

Personally OEL is a good Dman but not what this team needs. 

Edited by KariyaSakicAnderson

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Can people please stop trying to shop Tyler Myers? He is our only RD capable of being in the top 4 and folks want to ship him out. :picard:

He has considerable size to clear the crease, reach to break up plays with his stick like Chara and some offensive talent.

He may not be worth the entire 6M per year but we have half a team that is underperforming far worse than Tyler Myers.

Myers is needed on this team. 

I agree.  I think with overall team improvement Myers will settle in nicely.  He had an good second half IMO.  Canucks need guys who can be difference makers and although Meyers plays a steady game (when hes not getting penalized) he has that ability to be an impact player.

• Cheers 1

off the records: i want the silly goose back - so badly. ::D

Hamilton situation may not play out until closer to the start of free agency

Sportsnet: Chris Johnston on Headlines said that Carolina Hurricanes pending free agent defenseman Dougie Hamilton is getting plenty of interest.

“It sounds like there’s been a lot of conversations between Hamilton’s agent, J.P. Barry, and teams around the league. You get the feeling here that this isn’t necessarily gonna resolve itself quickly.

“He has the ability to agree to terms with a team that could work out a sign and trade with Carolina. The business of the league is slowly getting up and going again. I don’t think we’ll see something here for a few weeks, much closer to that free agency date on July 28.”

Coyotes will explore an Ekman-Larsson trade again this offseason

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman said that the Arizona Coyotes will once again try to trade defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, but they will try to handle it differently this offseason.

“The two sides are going to try again, but this time around they’re going to approach it differently. What Ekman-Larsson has told the Coyotes and what the Coyotes have agreed to do is they’re going to go out there, check the market and they’re going to bring a deal to him and then he can decide if he’s comfortable with that team.”

Craig Morgan of AZ Coyotes Insider: The Coyotes will be exploring the trade market for defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson again this offseason according to sources. OEL appears to be more open this offseason.

Ekman-Larsson carries a $8.5 million salary cap hit for six

more seasons and has $10.5 million salary for the next three years. His play has declined over the past couple of seasons.

Ownership told GM Bill Armstrong last offseason that they’d like to see Ekman-Larsson traded. OEL has a no-movement clause and only listed the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins as teams he’d accept a trade to last October.

The Coyotes will talk to teams, then present them to Ekman-Larsson to see if it would work for him. He hasn’t given the Coyotes a list of teams.

Would the Edmonton Oilers be interested in Dave Tippett-OEL reunion?

The Coyotes could take salary back but with the less term. Retaining salary could another option.

All parties agree that change is needed.

• Huggy Bear 1