[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

200.gif

Hughes Schmidt 
Edler Rathbone

Juolevi Myers

D looks fine to me I’m sure that will get us into the playoffs. :lol:

The cold truth is no free agent player in their prime wants to come here right now unless we severely overpay them.

If he wants to come here and Arizona is willing to retain salary it should 100% be explored.

This D core needs upgrades. Badly.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

If we are to win a Stanley Cup we need a defence that has a top end smooth playmaker with speed (QH) coupled with a big, strong power house blue liner that puts the fear of god into the forwards trying to enter the crease. Both ought to have that ability to score. 

I’m not so sure OEL is the answer to that missing piece.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well they didn’t like the price last year I’d be offering less this year because you’ve lost one of his good years left on his contract that will age poorly soon.

Price most likely was to take on erikksons contract for 2 years. Now that its only 1 year left who knows.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes Schmidt 
Edler Rathbone

Juolevi Myers

D looks fine to me I’m sure that will get us into the playoffs. :lol:

The cold truth is no free agent player in their prime wants to come here right now unless we severely overpay them.

If he wants to come here and Arizona is willing to retain salary it should 100% be explored.

This D core needs upgrades. Badly.

You can address the D and not have it be OEL, doesn't have to be via UFA either. By the sounds of it management is calling teams on players they think teams won't be able to protect, that's a start. Is a trade a potential way to address our D? Yeah, I think it's more likely than our chasing UFA's.

Is OEL worth exploring? Certainly, it'd be a poor GM who didn't at least do his due diligence. But if we're trading assets to bolster our D I'd rather we sniff around D who aren't entering their 30's. 

• Like 1

First of all JB wouldnt trade our 1st for a guy entering his 30s he even said he wouldnt so take that off the table first off. 

OEL is a massive upgrade over edler there is no question about that. He can still play big minutes and offers offense. Hes still a real good defenseman and theres no reason we shouldnt explore what it would take to get him when he obviously would love to play for us.  

with the sedins joining the team i could see them wanting the club to try n get him.

• Haha 1

Rathbone and our 2021 1st in independent deals to get both Reinhart and OEL.

I’m just spitballing here trying to think outloud.  

Although I’m NOT in favor of moving our 2021 1st or Rathbone, Benning does seem like he’s interested in both Reinhart and OEL.

I’m just wondering if in both deals, Benning gives up a solid future piece (Rathbone and 2021 1st) for these two disgruntled players (Reinhart and OEL) with the expectation that both Arizona and Buffalo take on some cap.

So for example, 

Buffalo takes on Roussel if they get 9OA, and Arizona takes on Eriksson if they get Rathbone.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart

Pearson-#####-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

OEL-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-#WelcomeBackFantenberg

Demko

Dipietro

Edited by Patel Bure

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You can address the D and not have it be OEL, doesn't have to be via UFA either. By the sounds of it management is calling teams on players they think teams won't be able to protect, that's a start. Is a trade a potential way to address our D? Yeah, I think it's more likely than our chasing UFA's.

Is OEL worth exploring? Certainly, it'd be a poor GM who didn't at least do his due diligence. But if we're trading assets to bolster our D I'd rather we sniff around D who aren't entering their 30's. 

I agree that would be great but there’s not going to be too many young top 4 D men available through trade.

The players available through expansion draft are the likes of Mayfield, Dunn, Foote etc. Good young bottom pair guys that are definitely worth acquiring but don’t move the needle for our top 4.

The alternative is overpaying the likes of Savard, Murray, Larsson in free agency.

When compared to those options OEL looks like an actual solution and an upgrade to Schmidt and Myers.

We could do a lot worse, especially if the player is also motivated to play here.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

First of all JB wouldnt trade our 1st for a guy entering his 30s he even said he wouldnt so take that off the table first off. 

OEL is a massive upgrade over edler there is no question about that. He can still play big minutes and offers offense. Hes still a real good defenseman and theres no reason we shouldnt explore what it would take to get him when he obviously would love to play for us.  

with the sedins joining the team i could see them wanting the club to try n get him.

Bit concerned that he was -17 last season and has been a minus player for nearly a decade. That’s not good for a defenceman.

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Rathbone and our 2021 1st in independent deals to get both Reinhart and OEL.

I’m just spitballing here trying to think outloud.  

Although I’m NOT in favor of moving our 2021 1st or Rathbone, Benning does seem like he’s interested in both Reinhart and OEL.

I’m just wondering if in both deals, Benning gives up a solid future piece (Rathbone and 2021 1st) for these two disgruntled players (Reinhart and OEL) with the expectation that both Arizona and Buffalo take on some cap.

So for example, 

Buffalo takes on Roussel if they get 9OA, and Arizona takes on Arizona if they get Rathbone.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart

Pearson-#####-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

OEL-Schmidt 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-#WelcomeBackFantenberg

Demko

Dipietro

What do you mean arizona takes on arizona if they get rathbone? Like in a fight?

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Bit concerned that he was -17 last season and has been a minus player for nearly a decade. That’s not good for a defenceman.

Meh look at the forwards on that group compared to our own vancouver canucks. Adding petterson podz and reinhart next season we might be the highest scoring team in the league::D

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So were most of the Coytoes players.

+/- is not a good stat for telling a players value.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A maybe to swap Myers for OEL?

Every GM in the league makes that move.

OEL anywhere else is still in the top 15 discussion for defensemen. Arizona is killing his career.

Wow… that is an interesting idea.

OEL is badly overpaid… but Myers is also overpaid… so we upgrade to a legit top 4 guy for an additional $2.5 million.

Arizona gets out of a $50 million real dollar liability  that has a full NMC and just takes back $18 million in cash that they can also move because he only has a modified NTC.

I can imagine that Arizona makes the no trade list for Myers though.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree that would be great but there’s not going to be too many young top 4 D men available through trade.

The players available through expansion draft are the likes of Mayfield, Dunn, Foote etc. Good young bottom pair guys that are definitely worth acquiring but don’t move the needle for our top 4.

The alternative is overpaying the likes of Savard, Murray, Larsson in free agency.

When compared to those options OEL looks like an actual solution and an upgrade to Schmidt and Myers.

We could do a lot worse, especially if the player is also motivated to play here.

What's available is a legit question, but is also dependent on what and who we're prepared to give up. It may be that the move we make isn't seismic, and that a larger acquisition happens next offseason as opposed to this one. Improving our D, and getting it to a place where we should be shoe in for a playoff spot are two different things. 

It's worth inquiring via ufa, but probably not the time to be chasing whales. 

Is the potential upgrade worth what'd it cost though? When Myers and Schmidt are much maligned and likely undervalued? Lot to puzzle out there, regarding what you do with said players and what they'll allow. 

Worse is a matter of opinion, worse also depends on what the other options are, which we as fans likely aren't aware of.

Arizona will have to pay OEL $10,500,000.00 per year for the next three years. That's what they're trying to avoid.

They over valued their position last season. This time around, they intend to explore options and bring any possible deals to OEL to see if he is willing to go to the team interested.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Arizona will have to pay OEL $10,500,000.00 per year for the next three years. That's what they're trying to avoid.

They over valued their position last season. This time around, they intend to explore options and bring any possible deals to OEL to see if he is willing to go to go to the team interested.

Which is why Benning should make a lowball offer and have them retain salary.

If OEL prefers to play here maybe he only accepts that deal. Worth a shot IMO.

As long as Benning doesn’t spend too much time on it this offseason.