Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

Having Miller and Petey both play C.

Pearson - Pettersson - Toffoli

Virtanen - Miller - Boeser

Roussel - Horvat - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Macewen

Why?

- Gives Petey two heavy forwards that can score.

- Virtanen has played well on a line with Miller. JT is a good mentor to have with Jake if we want him to have a better chance of seeing more of his potential.

- Roussel has worked well with Bo and as far as I remember, Leivo has too.

- 4th line balances out decently.

- Podkolzin will likely be here by March/April to add more depth to our wings.

- Gaudette can be packaged to bring us a young top 4 RHD or a RHD prospect with top 4 potential.

We get a more balanced lineup resulting in minutes being balanced keeping everyone fresh. Miller, Bo and Beagle can all take defensive zone face offs and kill penalties while Petey can be focused on the offensive side of things. Top players still get together on PP1.

Thoughts?

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Roussel - Horvat - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Macewen

Why?

Thoughts?

Could work...but I think Petey wants to score. He would want to play with players who would most likely pass to him, rather than he be passing. I would add one winger who can dangle the blue. 

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Why not give Gaudette more time to grow into the role. He'd make a pretty good 3C if we give we allow him some time. He's 23, and he plays a 2way game. Is there room for improvement offensively and defensively - sure. But we have a pretty good player here, and as he bulks up and gets experience he'll get even better. No need to give up on him just yet. Defense is higher priority imo.

We can give Gaudette more time, but he is by no means a 2 way player.  He is an extremely poor defensive player right now, maybe he can get better but that isn’t at all a hallmark of his game.

You use him if you want to build a team with three scoring lines, not if if you want defensive presence on the 3rd line.

As above, I think we are currently better off getting someone who is a real 2 way player that can pot in a few points but also play on the Pk and take the defensive responsibilities off Horvat.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Why not give Gaudette more time to grow into the role. He'd make a pretty good 3C if we give we allow him some time. He's 23, and he plays a 2way game. Is there room for improvement offensively and defensively - sure. But we have a pretty good player here, and as he bulks up and gets experience he'll get even better. No need to give up on him just yet. Defense is higher priority imo.

Gaudette does not currently play a good 2 way game, he's quite weak defensively and is not great at faceoffs.

I get that we could see if he improves but we want to compete for the playoffs starting next season. I don't really see him being able to increase his defensive ability to the place where we need it and we don't have much time to wait for him to get there.

I don't think the 3rd line needs to he a shut down line. Have the 3rd line as another offesive line with Gaudette, Lievo, Virtanen, or who ever else. Can use it to ease Hoglander, Lind, Podz, etc into the line-up when they're ready. 4th can be primarily a shut down line with the likes of Motte, Beagle, Sutter, etc (who ever is still here). Our top two lines can play head to head against other top lines if we need them too as well.

I guess it's semantic, doesn't really matter if you label the shutdown line as 4 and the depth scoring line as 3 or the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I don't think the 3rd line needs to he a shut down line. Have the 3rd line as another offesive line with Gaudette, Lievo, Virtanen, or who ever else. Can use it to ease Hoglander, Lind, Podz, etc into the line-up when they're ready. 4th can be primarily a shut down line with the likes of Motte, Beagle, Sutter, etc (who ever is still here). Our top two lines can play head to head against other top lines if we need them too as well.

I guess it's semantic, doesn't really matter if you label the shutdown line as 4 and the depth scoring line as 3 or the other way around. 

I think the 3rd line needs two guys who can play on the PK.  The centre and one of the wingers.  It doesn’t mean they can’t also be secondary offence... but I think they need to be true two-way guys.

5 hours ago, MattJVD said:

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I think the 3rd line needs two guys who can play on the PK.  The centre and one of the wingers.  It doesn’t mean they can’t also be secondary offence... but I think they need to be true two-way guys.

This. Otherwise you're putting too many minutes on the top guys. You're left with a third line that is playing under ten minutes because they don't PK and PP2 barely plays. The 3C and 4C have to be PK'ers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Roussel - Horvat - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Macewen

Why?

- Virtanen has played well on a line with Miller. JT is a good mentor to have with Jake if we want him to have a better chance of seeing more of his potential.

- Roussel has worked well with Bo and as far as I remember, Leivo has too.

- 4th line balances out decently.

- Podkolzin will likely be here by March/April to add more depth to our wings.

- Gaudette can be packaged to bring us a young top 4 RHD or a RHD prospect with top 4 potential.

We get a more balanced lineup resulting in minutes being balanced keeping everyone fresh. Miller, Bo and Beagle can all take defensive zone face offs and kill penalties while Petey can be focused on the offensive side of things. Top players still get together on PP1.

Thoughts?

Pretty decent, but I'd try and arrange the lines in such a way so that each centre in this case would have at least one guy that could prolifically put the puck in the net.

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Miller-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Leivo-[Gaudette-Beagle]-MacEwen

I think an idea like this (or your suggested lines) might work, but I think the more likely scenario is that you'll end up with no real line really being a consistent threat.     

I think it would be better for the Canucks to keep the lines as is, and let the depth to occur naturally as the team progresses forward.    Use the Pettersson-Miller-Horvat three lines combo on occasion to keep the opponents guessing.   

p.s._______alternatively, I would suggest putting all the eggs in one basket on occasion (or severe front loading both the offence and defense).   

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Virtanen-Miller-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Hughes

Juolevi-Myers

Benn-Tanev

19 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Fack virtanen!!!  How on earth will you have him at 2 line Lw!???   He doesn’t deserve to be on the second line.  

The guy is gone in the off season.  

I understand your frustration regarding JV, but we also can't ignore the fact that he was on pace to scoring 20 goals this past season with limited 3rd line minutes.   Lazy work ethic and questionable off ice commitment or not, we simply cannot ignore this fact.    

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

6 hours ago, Provost said:

We can give Gaudette more time, but he is by no means a 2 way player.  He is an extremely poor defensive player right now, maybe he can get better but that isn’t at all a hallmark of his game.

You use him if you want to build a team with three scoring lines, not if if you want defensive presence on the 3rd line.

As above, I think we are currently better off getting someone who is a real 2 way player that can pot in a few points but also play on the Pk and take the defensive responsibilities off Horvat.

Giving Gaudette more time might indeed be a good idea. Malhotra took around 7 to 8 years before he broke the 50% mark on face offs for the season, and other stats (FWIW) suggest that he was growing as a player. Perhaps that may be a timeline that the team could live with for the development of Gaudette?

regards,  G.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Giving Gaudette more time might indeed be a good idea. Malhotra took around 7 to 8 years before he broke the 50% mark on face offs for the season, and other stats (FWIW) suggest that he was growing as a player. Perhaps that may be a timeline that the team could live with for the development of Gaudette?

regards,  G.

Malholtra was also a top 10 pick who failed to live up to his draft pedigree and found a role as an extremely good face off guy who was sound defensively. Gaudette is a 5th rounder who has outperformed expectations. He is horrible in his own end and cannot win a face off to save his life. Until this improves he is just be better off on the wing. 

The 3rd line center role is a pivotal one and you need a guy that can play a sound two way game that can chip in offensively. Bo Horvat is not a 3rd line player he is a proven center in this league and blossoming into one hell of a hockey player and the league has taken notice. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Malholtra was also a top 10 pick who failed to live up to his draft pedigree and found a role as an extremely good face off guy who was sound defensively. Gaudette is a 5th rounder who has outperformed expectations. He is horrible in his own end and cannot win a face off to save his life. Until this improves he is just be better off on the wing. 

The 3rd line center role is a pivotal one and you need a guy that can play a sound two way game that can chip in offensively. Bo Horvat is not a 3rd line player he is a proven center in this league and blossoming into one hell of a hockey player and the league has taken notice. 

And there are guys like Jannik Hanson who were 9th round picks, who after a few seasons of "seasoning" turned into a very solid top-9 player.

regards,  G.

17 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

And there are guys like Jannik Hanson who were 9th round picks, who after a few seasons of "seasoning" turned into a very solid top-9 player.

regards,  G.

Jannik Hanson was a versatile puck hound who could play up and down the line up. More importantly, he was a winger. Not vying for the oh so important 3rd line center role. Poor comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jannik Hanson was a versatile puck hound who could play up and down the line up. More importantly, he was a winger. Not vying for the oh so important 3rd line center role. Poor comparison. 

More that I was making the point that where a guy was drafted does not always mean that he'll have more success, without looking at a particular position, but if you want to go down that road, sure, you win! Have a great night.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

We don’t have 7 years to let him learn the position.  There is also no guarantee that at the end of that he will become a defensive guy.  
I would say his skillet is more of being an offensive player, maybe even a low end 2C on a crappier team.