The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rossi: Multiple sources say Penguins GM Rutherford wants to pursue Chris Tanev

Ilya Mikheyev

3 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I agree, But he does have tons of contacts

And he’s also been completely wrong at times. 

A lot of these scribes are nothing more than parasites. They “leak” insider info which has the potential to affect a deal being signed, and then these same douchebags complain about the team not getting a deal done. 

9 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think a lot of the posters here that are saying that we should let Tanev go aren’t remembering how poorly the Canucks play without him in the lineup. He is a warrior for this team and we need him defensively. As long as it’s not a huge overpayment I think we need to re-sign him. 

If they do let Tanev go, I certainly hope they have a backup plan to get more defense because building on top of this year without Tanev will be difficult. We'll basically be the Toronto of the west, just substitute Reilly with Hughes and you have our defense. lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dhaliwal has become such an immense tool. He used to just provide facts, but he’s now sliding in his slimeball conjecture into his tweets. 

Yeah, he went from the most respected source in my books (outside of Bob Mackenzie of course) and slid all the way down to the level of all the other media hacks.

• Cheers 3

Just now, The Lock said:

If they do let Tanev go, I certainly hope they have a backup plan to get more defense because building on top of this year without Tanev will be difficult. We'll basically be the Toronto of the west, just substitute Reilly with Hughes and you have our defense. lol

My hope would be that Brenden Dillon hits the UFA market and Benning goes after him. Dillion would be an ideal Tanev replacement.

He’s been counted on in both San Jose and Washington to support the teams star mobile defensemen, in Karlsson and Carlson (weird!). He’d also be a great partner for Hughes should a player take liberties with him, as Dillon sticks up for his teammates and is a big dude from Surrey. 

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Thems fightin words. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My hope would be that Brenden Dillon hits the UFA market and Benning goes after him. Dillion would be an ideal Tanev replacement.

He’s been counted on in both San Jose and Washington to support the teams star mobile defensemen, in Karlsson and Carlson (weird!). He’d also be a great partner for Hughes should a player take liberties with him, as Dillon sticks up for his teammates and is a big dude from Surrey. 

We need a team with all of the Karlssons and Carlsons. I just want to see what the announcers do in saying who's who.

If Dillon helps I'm all for it, provided we aren't just getting him due to him being local. I know how lovestruck people on these forums can get about local boys we don't have. lol

• Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

We need a team with all of the Karlssons and Carlsons. I just want to see what the announcers do in saying who's who.

If Dillon helps I'm all for it, provided we aren't just getting him due to him being local. I know how lovestruck people on these forums can get about local boys we don't have. lol

The fact that he’s from Surrey is coincidence in my mind. He’s well known as a solid stay at home defenseman whose been paired with elite Norris winning puck movers, in both SJ and Washington.

He also provides another big body on the blue line who is not afraid to pushback at all.

To me, that’s a great combination. 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Toronto does not have an Elder or Myers. Muzzin is more like Tanev. So for you to be correct we'd have to lose Edler and Myers and then we'd be like Toronto's D.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that he’s from Surrey is coincidence in my mind. He’s well known as a solid stay at home defenseman whose been paired with elite Norris winning puck movers, in both SJ and Washington.

He also provides another big body on the blue line who is not afraid to pushback at all.

To me, that’s a great combination. 

Biggest issue I see is with the cap, but we have a lot of unanswered questions at the moment too considering Eriksson and others.

The flat cap doesn't help either, but considering that's going to happen league wide, I wonder how much free agents will actually be paid this year. Teams not up against the cap could be having a heyday in free agency while teams up against the cap may be going "I wish". Who knows though. I guess we'll find out.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

we certainly could have used him vs. Vegas.

I do like Tanev but his play objectively is a little bit in decline. Not sure how many hard miles he has left.... I'd like to think 5 but just cant see it. If someone's willing to give him 5 mil x 4 or 5 years I'll be happy for him but that number is too high for us. 

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Toronto does not have an Elder or Myers. Muzzin is more like Tanev. So for you to be correct we'd have to lose Edler and Myers and then we'd be like Toronto's D.

Those are just pedantics. Either way, neither situation is good.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dhaliwal may have contacts, but he's lost a lot of credibility 

He used to be the guy for facts in these parts, then he started playing the speculation and media game like the other local hacks

The sad truth is it probably makes him more money. More speculation means more hits means more money. Otherwise, if facts alone did the trick, more of those hacks would probably deviate from speculation.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

The sad truth is it probably makes him more money. More speculation means more hits means more money. Otherwise, if facts alone did the trick, more of those hacks would probably deviate from speculation.

Oh, it def does

Way more traffic via the speculation game because Canadian hockey fans react

• Cheers 1