The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rossi: Multiple sources say Penguins GM Rutherford wants to pursue Chris Tanev

Ilya Mikheyev

Adding a right-handed shot defenseman is a priority for the Penguins, and Rutherford is expected to try clearing enough cap space to pursue Christopher Tanev on the open market, multiple team and league sources said.

Tanev is the elder brother of forward Brandon Tanev, the Penguins’ big free-agent signing last offseason. Christopher Tanev is set to turn 31 in December, but his age is not a concern for the team. And Rutherford is not averse to extending Tanev an offer that would run concurrent with the final five years of Brandon Tanev’s contract, the team source said.

Christopher Tanev is seeking a raise on the $4.45 million he counted against the cap on his last contract, league sources said. The Penguins plan to play up uniting with family and Pittsburgh’s lower cost of living to entice Tanev, but their preference is to keep his cap hit from exceeding $5 million, a team and league source said. Tanev isn’t a gifted offensive player but would give them a very steady albeit expensive option to play on the right side behind Kris Letang and Marino. This could give them insurance on the right side of their blue line if Letang doesn’t receive a new deal or if he is traded before his contract expires after the 2021-22 season. 

Tanev is also a good penalty killer, which could help the Penguins ease Letang’s minutes next season since they both play on the right side.

Source

Let's not forget Brandon almost signed an ELC with Vancouver to play with his bro, so family ties may be important to them.

Sounds like we are gonna have to offer money and term to Tanev if we want to keep him. Wonder how big of a hole our defense will have without Tanev.  I mean from Tanev's point of view, we just signed Myers to 6x6 last year. If he views himself as better than Myers, it'd be pretty werid he signs for anything less than 5 mil. 

Edited by Drakrami

Even months ago, lots of the speculation was that if he goes to free agency that playing with his brother or back in hometown Toronto would definitely be high on the list of alternatives.

Pittsburgh might as well go all in as they are near the end of any possible window.

The media is forever creating "rumours" by thinking about a logical connection, like they are brothers, or he is from there, and then calling it a rumour.  Remember how Sakic was always coming to Vancouver because he was from here?  I think Tanev loves it here, and is loved here.  He and his family probably don't want to move.  He will likely do what he can to stay and if not, then Rutherford can have him.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Even months ago, lots of the speculation was that if he goes to free agency that playing with his brother or back in hometown Toronto would definitely be high on the list of alternatives.

Pittsburgh might as well go all in as they are near the end of any possible window.

Yep pretty much. Seems like an ideal place for him: they'll likely be able to make the cap space, play with his bro, a couple more years with a solid chance at the cup, gets to cash in on reviving his value playing next to Hughes and having a very solid playoff.

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

The media is forever creating "rumours" by thinking about a logical connection, like they are brothers, or he is from there, and then calling it a rumour.  Remember how Sakic was always coming to Vancouver because he was from here?  I think Tanev loves it here, and is loved here.  He and his family probably don't want to move.  He will likely do what he can to stay and if not, then Rutherford can have him.

the media? I thought that was requisite of being a Canuck fan.

How many "reunite XXX with YYY" threads have thre been?

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Technically he's a UFA now but free agency hasn't started, wouldn't this be considered tampering? Can you talk about other team's players like that leading up to free agency? 

No because Rutherford didn't publicly say it... "it is reported that Rutherford would be interested.."

Probably a purposeful media leak to plant the seed in Tanev's mind

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Benning was caught on mic saying things.  Until the press has a quote (or video/audio evidence) from Rutherford (or his staff) saying, "I want Chris Tanev and I'm going to pull all the stops until I get him", it's not considered tampering.

hey Brandon when you go back home, can you give this to Chirs?:bigblush:

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Benning was caught on mic saying things.  Until the press has a quote (or video/audio evidence) from Rutherford (or his staff) saying, "I want Chris Tanev and I'm going to pull all the stops until I get him", it's not considered tampering.

The Penguins plan to play up uniting with family and Pittsburgh’s lower cost of living to entice Tanev, but their preference is to keep his cap hit from exceeding $5 million, a team and league source said.

that claim - that it comes from a team source - makes your point highly debatable - could considered tampering if verfied.

media hacks speculating is one thing - teams leaking a gameplan sourced directly from a "team and league source" - arguably another

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Technically he's a UFA now but free agency hasn't started, wouldn't this be considered tampering? Can you talk about other team's players like that leading up to free agency? 

There are about a million ways to get the word out without officially tampering.  It wasn’t coincidence that the entire hickey world knew we were going to sign Myers months before he was a UFA. 

• Upvote 1

anyhow - who really cares about tampering?   it's a fine that goes into Bettman's Whistler party fund.  Let that lame duck GM Rutherford keep his cash, he probably has less than the tamper-police.

And still - frack you Rutherford - Chris Tanev is a Canuck, homegrown, dyed in the wool!