The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Olli Maatta to Kings for Brad Morrison

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kinda bizarre how Olli Maata was so highly touted when drafted and just really stagnated hard after his rookie year in Pittsburgh and just keeps rolling down the slippery slope of mediocrity

pretty sure cancer - and surgery to remove a tumour from his neck may have had something to do with his setback...he was tracking extremely well before that.

46% ozone starts, 49% corsi

119 hits, 110 blocks

17 pts, even 0

just under 2 minutes/game pk.

not really that 'bad'.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Maata had a great playoffs (9GP, 3G, 3A). Nice buy-low move by the Kings.

And by "low", I mean zilch - Morrison has zero value.

was also a team best +7 in the playoffs - with the lowest ozone starts on that blueline (40.7%)..

Edited by oldnews

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maata is a sleeper, yes 4M was a lot for him but at 3.3M he can easily fill a 2nd pairing role quite nicely on any team let alone a bottom feeder. Good trade that doesn't help Chicago at all.

Hawks making room for Alex Pietralengelo?

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maata is a sleeper, yes 4M was a lot for him but at 3.3M he can easily fill a 2nd pairing role quite nicely on any team let alone a bottom feeder. Good trade that doesn't help Chicago at all.

Actually looking at the cap hits, I can see that Chicago intentionally fleeced themselves to get someone back at a lower cap hit. They save like 3 million dollars of space here.

24 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Is this a cap dump? Who the hell is Brad 

Yes, it is. Brad Morrison's cap hit is only 743,000. Meanwhile Maata's is 4M. Chicago got rid of like 3 M of space, and they paid with Maatta to do it.

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah who's Brad Morrison?  :huh: wow just fact-checked, he was in the ECHL last year (not even good enough to get an NHL player back)

This is a creative way to get rid of fat contracts.

To be honest, I think the Canucks should have been on this. Maata is a friend of Juolevi's. We could have traded someone like David Pope back. (no value)

Edited by Dazzle

Pure cap dump. Maatta looks like a legit top 4 guy. Not a premium top 4 guy, but he can play it. He's a slightly less physical Brendan Dillon. This is a great move by LA to cash in on Chicago's need for cap. They need cap to re-sign Caggiula, Strome, Subban and Kubalik. Prior to this deal they had like 8mil in cap. Maatta isn't the great player he was projected to be but he's still a pretty good player overall. Great trade for LA.

• Like 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Pure cap dump. Maatta looks like a legit top 4 guy. Not a premium top 4 guy, but he can play it. He's a slightly less physical Brendan Dillon. This is a great move by LA to cash in on Chicago's need for cap. They need cap to re-sign Caggiula, Strome, Subban and Kubalik. Prior to this deal they had like 8mil in cap. Maatta isn't the great player he was projected to be but he's still a pretty good player overall. Great trade for LA.

I'd say it's a great trade for both sides. Chicago needed the space more, but didn't have to give up any picks as a sweetener. LA Kings improved from this trade at little cost.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'd say it's a great trade for both sides. Chicago needed the space more, but didn't have to give up any picks as a sweetener. LA Kings improved from this trade at little cost.

Hard to say it's a great trade for Chicago. They got nothing for a borderline top 4 d-man. 4mil cap hit isn't too bad. Although with De Haan and Keith's contracts Maatta had to be on the outs. I wouldn't touch either of those contracts. Being forced to retain is really where I think the trade is just okay from Chicago's perspective. I don't think the 3mil cap they saved is enough. But they are desperate and LA scooped up Maatta for peanuts. WITH retention. 

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Take notes Benning.  Reclaim Sven's value by playing then flipping him even for a minor leaguer if you aren't going to keep him.

Maatta is a legit player with no health concerns as far as I know. Chicago needed the cap but Maatta is a good player. They would keep Maatta if cap would allow it. Baer is injured and a shell of himself. Not really similar situations.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Maatta is a legit player with no health concerns as far as I know. Chicago needed the cap but Maatta is a good player. They would keep Maatta if cap would allow it. Baer is injured and a shell of himself. Not really similar situations.

Taken from a 2018 article found here:

https://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-maatta-2018-season/

Olli Maatta’s First 82-Game Season

By Julia Stumbaugh April 11th, 2018

Maatta’s Injury History

Maatta has fought through an unbelievable number of injuries in his five NHL seasons. He’s undergone hand surgery, a cancer diagnosis and a host of other injuries that have kept him away from the game for months at a time.

There was another site that actually lists the full injuries he's incurred throughout his career. Obviously cancer isn't an "injury", but they count as missed games. Juolevi has been pretty unlucky with missed games also.