The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

News on Jurmo?  

He is a wild card player in our system.  

I’m worried that Jurmo is exactly like the Oiler’s Broberg.  Lots of size, beautiful skater, good puck skills, but dumb as a sack of rocks.  The game at the highest level just happens too fast for Broberg to process.  Guys like that need the larger ice, and slower pace of the Euro leagues to do well.  Broberg will soon be back in Europe.  Jurmo will get his chance here, but I’m thinking he’s another Broberg. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m worried that Jurmo is exactly like the Oiler’s Broberg.  Lots of size, beautiful skater, good puck skills, but dumb as a sack of rocks.  The game at the highest level just happens too fast for Broberg to process.  Guys like that need the larger ice, and slower pace of the Euro leagues to do well.  Broberg will soon be back in Europe.  Jurmo will get his chance here, but I’m thinking he’s another Broberg. 

Except, Alf Broberg was a first not a third.  

Never doubt the Canucks ability to magically find defence men with a 3rd or 5th round pick. 

Jurmo has done really well this season as compared to his rookie year last year.  

Progress like that should be generally well received.  He’s 19 getting 19 minutes a night in SM Ligia and trains with Miro Hieskenen in the off season.  His skating is one of his best assets and he is 6-4 200lbs.  

1g 7a in 28 games.  
last season 0 points in the season maybe 11 minutes a night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, a +2 in 15:12 of average icetime. He didn't play last game, the game before he had only 4 mins of icetime. Not sure whether he is injured or has played himself out of the lineup. He was playing a lot at the beginning of the year and the team was losing. Recently Jukurit have been winning 6 in a row (where have I seen that before...?), but Jurmo's icetime was reduced.

His teammate, Petrus Palmu is 4th in league scoring (27p in 29 games), just behind Lukas Jasek, who is 2nd (30p in 27).

Edited by joe-max
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, joe-max said:

26 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, a +2 in 15:12 of average icetime. He didn't play last game, the game before he had only 4 mins of icetime. Not sure whether he is injured or has played himself out of the lineup. He was playing a lot at the beginning of the year and the team was losing. Recently Jukurit have been winning 6 in a row (whether have I seen that before...?), but Jurmo's icetime was reduced.

His teammate, Petrus Palmu is 4th in league scoring (27p in 29 games), just behind Lukas Jasek, who is 2nd (30p in 27).

Yes, and I hear the crowd has been chanting "Bjorn, there it is" to their new coach!;)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

19 year old Joni got 20 minutes of ice time while playing on the top D pair for his team in Finnish men's league Liiga. 

He is 6'4, can skate well and has a knack for fighting (dad was in MMA). 

I'm not sure if he has any interest in playing in the AHL but I'd love to see him come over next year on an ELC and spend a couple of years learning the North American game. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

19 year old Joni got 20 minutes of ice time while playing on the top D pair for his team in Finnish men's league Liiga. 

He is 6'4, can skate well and has a knack for fighting (dad was in MMA). 

I'm not sure if he has any interest in playing in the AHL but I'd love to see him come over next year on an ELC and spend a couple of years learning the North American game. 

Yup; willing to wait for Big Yoni as he needs the development; but at the same time, "I can't wait to see him over here!"

On 12/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Never doubt the Canucks ability to magically find defence men with a 3rd or 5th round pick. 

Jurmo has done really well this season as compared to his rookie year last year.  

Progress like that should be generally well received.  He’s 19 getting 19 minutes a night in SM Ligia and trains with Miro Hieskenen in the off season.  His skating is one of his best assets and he is 6-4 200lbs.  

1g 7a in 28 games.  

And boy oh boy, do we need a great skating, big D on the left side. Of course, if he turns out, we’d have to get rid of a lot of talent to dispose of Ekman-Larsson’s massive cap hit and create a space. I doubt that anybody in the league would take that cap hit - even if we threw in Garland.

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

And boy oh boy, do we need a great skating, big D on the left side. Of course, if he turns out, we’d have to get rid of a lot of talent to dispose of Ekman-Larsson’s massive cap hit and create a space. I doubt that anybody in the league would take that cap hit - even if we threw in Garland.

Ray,  I honestly don’t understand the hate in OEL.  

He is a very effective defender and has lots of proven ability to produce is given the opportunity.  

The troubles of this team and its areas of weakness are not due to OEL and he is the new Edler at higher hit,  but better.  

The team needs to address the first of second RHD position and that’s been the clubs weakness since I can remember.  

Myers is a very effective player, Schenn has provided a very good bottom pairing guy.  Hamonic never showed up, Juulsen is stepping up and he looks good.  Poolman is awful, we need to replace him and that alone is an improvement. 

We can never have enough RHD and I won’t ever say that drafting D men is a mistake, even the ones you miss, as this area is very hard to get covered and for every swing you have to accept that you can only predict the future, not make it.  

Jurmo, Myrenberg, Utunnen, Woo and Rathbone are all futures and Juulsen is a good player and is very physical.  I can see why so many were very happy to get him.  

if there is any way to move out Poolman and a forward of value to get a RHD middle pairing guy, for Hughes or OEL, it will have a dramatic difference on our play.  

I also think we need to make room upfront and have to many smaller forwards.  Dickinson is a disappointment, Poolman is a stop gap. We have a number of good wingers that could land a RHD that I truly believe would make an impact.  

We have a surplus of goalies and wingers, enough Centres to managers and I think that Podz should be enrolled in faceoff school.  

It’s not OEL, it’s not even the cap per say, it’s the RHD side as always… 

this team can shed cap fast, by moving out any one of Brock, Miller and or Garland.  Pearson is moveable, Dickinson is not of much value, Motte could fill in for Garland, we have a ton of moveable pieces that are in demand.  

But it’s all moving a lots arms and legs with out moving your body.. but not making any progress of the core problem on the roster is not addressed.   

Hughes also needs a player to offset some of his weaker areas of play.  

To me, the team is a oddity, that could be compared to a person the over trained certain body areas and not others.  Looks great until the area of weakness is exposed and then that weakness is all you can see afterwards.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/18/2021 at 4:16 PM, Phat Fingers said:

1g 7a in 28 games.  

even olli juolevi played well in SM Liga. How a player plays in SM Liga means absolutely nothing about the capability to thrive in the best league , the NHL. Lots of differences between both leagues: size of the rink, pace of the game, game is much more physical in the NHL... I don't expect anything from Jurmo.

Would you please do me a favor and let me know the defence men Canucks drafted in the later rounds (3rd and 5th) that became NHL players? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Ray,  I honestly don’t understand the hate in OEL.  

He is a very effective defender and has lots of proven ability to produce is given the opportunity.  

The troubles of this team and its areas of weakness are not due to OEL and he is the new Edler at higher hit,  but better.  

The team needs to address the first of second RHD position and that’s been the clubs weakness since I can remember.  

Myers is a very effective player, Schenn has provided a very good bottom pairing guy.  Hamonic never showed up, Juulsen is stepping up and he looks good.  Poolman is awful, we need to replace him and that alone is an improvement. 

We can never have enough RHD and I won’t ever say that drafting D men is a mistake, even the ones you miss, as this area is very hard to get covered and for every swing you have to accept that you can only predict the future, not make it.  

Jurmo, Myrenberg, Utunnen, Woo and Rathbone are all futures and Juulsen is a good player and is very physical.  I can see why so many were very happy to get him.  

if there is any way to move out Poolman and a forward of value to get a RHD middle pairing guy, for Hughes or OEL, it will have a dramatic difference on our play.  

I also think we need to make room upfront and have to many smaller forwards.  Dickinson is a disappointment, Poolman is a stop gap. We have a number of good wingers that could land a RHD that I truly believe would make an impact.  

We have a surplus of goalies and wingers, enough Centres to managers and I think that Podz should be enrolled in faceoff school.  

It’s not OEL, it’s not even the cap per say, it’s the RHD side as always… 

this team can shed cap fast, by moving out any one of Brock, Miller and or Garland.  Pearson is moveable, Dickinson is not of much value, Motte could fill in for Garland, we have a ton of moveable pieces that are in demand.  

But it’s all moving a lots arms and legs with out moving your body.. but not making any progress of the core problem on the roster is not addressed.   

Hughes also needs a player to offset some of his weaker areas of play.  

To me, the team is a oddity, that could be compared to a person the over trained certain body areas and not others.  Looks great until the area of weakness is exposed and then that weakness is all you can see afterwards.  

biggest weakness of this team has been and still has the lack of scoring ability - Canucks teams have been struggling to score goals and produce. I am quite surprised that this is still an issue this season with the additions of Garland and Dickinson.

biggest weakness of this Org is that they add players that do not fit in ... Schmidt for example, this season Poolman and Dickinson. Nothing will change if the people in the drivers seat adding players that are not a fit.

OEL's contract is still an inefficent contract even though I like his strong leadership and his defensive play. And yes, cap space is crucial in this league and OEL's massive contract limits the possibilities to add a legitimate top 4 right handed D-Man, especially when you combine the cap hit of Myers and OEL.

Create cap space? Let's start with Hamonic, the guy who cares only about himself but does not contribute to the teams success in any way. Canucks should have taken action long time ago, to get rid of him.

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

OEL is a highly effective D for us. We wouldn’t need to include assets to move him, it would just be a question of his willingness to waive his NTC.

He likes Vancouver and he makes our defense, better.

Its funny, the Canucks have one of the lowest goals allowed in the NHL, and I believe that we are THE lowest in the league, 5 on 5, and yet fans see all these problems with our defense and defensive play.

Maybe it’s just your perception and that it’s not based on fact?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

OEL is a highly effective D for us. We wouldn’t need to include assets to move him, it would just be a question of his willingness to waive his NTC.

He likes Vancouver and he makes our defense, better.

Its funny, the Canucks have one of the lowest goals allowed in the NHL, and I believe that we are THE lowest in the league, 5 on 5, and yet fans see all these problems with our defense and defensive play.

Maybe it’s just your perception and that it’s not based on fact?

Because a lot of fans look at a guy like Ehrhoff, who couldn't play defence very well, but could QB a power play, and could score. They think the team should have 6 players on defence like that. But a rock solid stay at home defenceman like Willie Mitchell didn't have nearly the number of fans. I like players like Mitchell. He clears the net. He wasn't the most fleet of foot. But he rarely got out of position. And made sure the netminder could see the shots coming his way. 

We should copy Nashville. 2nd round picks that turn into defensive studs ( Not always with Nashville). Weber, Girard, Josi. A lot of 1st rounders do well too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because a lot of fans look at a guy like Ehrhoff, who couldn't play defence very well, but could QB a power play, and could score. They think the team should have 6 players on defence like that. But a rock solid stay at home defenceman like Willie Mitchell didn't have nearly the number of fans. I like players like Mitchell. He clears the net. He wasn't the most fleet of foot. But he rarely got out of position. And made sure the netminder could see the shots coming his way. 

We should copy Nashville. 2nd round picks that turn into defensive studs ( Not always with Nashville). Weber, Girard, Josi. A lot of 1st rounders do well too.

If you only have one 1st round pick, it pretty well has to be best player available.

Other than that highest pick you have, I think we should be taking best defenseman available, preferably RHD.

We're already pretty good at goalie, so only take a goalie if it blows your socks off or late round.

Nashville stocked up on D for years and got good value trading the ones they were not moving forward with.

Quinn is quite possibly the best defenseman we have ever had; we can't leave him like an island out there. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

biggest weakness of this team has been and still has the lack of scoring ability - Canucks teams have been struggling to score goals and produce. I am quite surprised that this is still an issue this season with the additions of Garland and Dickinson.

biggest weakness of this Org is that they add players that do not fit in ... Schmidt for example, this season Poolman and Dickinson. Nothing will change if the people in the drivers seat adding players that are not a fit.

OEL's contract is still an inefficent contract even though I like his strong leadership and his defensive play. And yes, cap space is crucial in this league and OEL's massive contract limits the possibilities to add a legitimate top 4 right handed D-Man, especially when you combine the cap hit of Myers and OEL.

Create cap space? Let's start with Hamonic, the guy who cares only about himself but does not contribute to the teams success in any way. Canucks should have taken action long time ago, to get rid of him.

You've hit on a very puzzling situation regarding the lack of scoring on what should be, a high scoring team.  Interesting that Schmidt, Dickinson, Garland and even OEL's numbers have dropped since joining the team.  You say that Schmidt and Dixy don't fit the team, but Garland and OEL certainly do. 

We can see that Pete and Brock have had a dismal season, but glancing down the roster, there are only a couple of players that have the same or better stats than last year.  So what's going on with this team?

Regarding OEL...if he had his usual offensive numbers, along with his great defensive work, I don't think you would have even brought him up in this post.  I don't know why this is...adjusting to new team?  Different deployment? Latent injury?  One doesn't drop from +.5 pts a game (constantly for 9 yrs) to .2 per game in just one season, so it's not a natural deterioration of the player's offensive skills.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Agree with you 100%

They expect that every D that we bring in, should be a offensive dynamo like Hughes.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Yes, scoring goals is an issue, but why?  

I would say we are not the transition team we should be.  We are winning face offs, but losing possession time matches to the better teams in the league.  The biggest weakness IMO are two fold.  We don’t have enough puck possession forwards that one day Hogz and Podz will be, but they are very young.  Horvat and Miller, who else?  Petey is having an off year, Garland, Brock and Pearson, of the three, the most effective is Pearson as a two way guy, who is also big, which we need.  

We need puck hounds to generate turn overs more in the offensive zone, and then we need a RHD who can play a a solid two way game with a break out pass ability or a shot, and we suddenly have a team that has options other than the left side for breakouts,  that’s why Miller and Schenn can sometimes look amazing, they aren’t be8ng focused on like Hughes and OEL are.  

I do see no end to increased offensive output with better possession and a more than one option to take the puck up ice when Hughes is on or OEL… then we can gain the zone, keep the zone and force o zone face offs where the magical talents of Petey and Hughes can flourish of or set plays… 

but when Myers isn’t there, who keeps the puck in the O zone for the right side?  Schenn has to give room cause his isn’t the most mobile guy, Poolman will just get lost somewhere, Juulsen and Woo are looking more of what we need, but to what level of play, we still don’t know.  

if we move A top six forward who doesn’t either take face offs, or we get a serious upgrade at RHD back.  

it hasn’t been ever good and Bieksa is the only I can think of that turned out as a good NHL RHD, ever… so I have to ask, is it rocket science?  MG brought in Hammer, and Erhoff.  Stretcher was the next best homegrown player at the side.  

That’s no way to build a team.  

So fix that and not destroy our ability to win possession of the puck on the draw too badly and we have something to work with.  

Of the two, the magical RHD man who has top pairing potential is a unicorn for this franchise, we have been much better at building face off players as of late, so I would get my unicorn at the expense of a Center, even if we lost a bit of advantage on the draw.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Yes, scoring goals is an issue, but why?  

I would say we are not the transition team we should be.  We are winning face offs, but losing possession time matches to the better teams in the league.  The biggest weakness IMO are two fold.  We don’t have enough puck possession forwards that one day Hogz and Podz will be, but they are very young.  Horvat and Miller, who else?  Petey is having an off year, Garland, Brock and Pearson, of the three, the most effective is Pearson as a two way guy, who is also big, which we need.  

We need puck hounds to generate turn overs more in the offensive zone, and then we need a RHD who can play a a solid two way game with a break out pass ability or a shot, and we suddenly have a team that has options other than the left side for breakouts,  that’s why Miller and Schenn can sometimes look amazing, they aren’t be8ng focused on like Hughes and OEL are.  

I do see no end to increased offensive output with better possession and a more than one option to take the puck up ice when Hughes is on or OEL… then we can gain the zone, keep the zone and force o zone face offs where the magical talents of Petey and Hughes can flourish of or set plays… 

but when Myers isn’t there, who keeps the puck in the O zone for the right side?  Schenn has to give room cause his isn’t the most mobile guy, Poolman will just get lost somewhere, Juulsen and Woo are looking more of what we need, but to what level of play, we still don’t know.  

if we move A top six forward who doesn’t either take face offs, or we get a serious upgrade at RHD back.  

it hasn’t been ever good and Bieksa is the only I can think of that turned out as a good NHL RHD, ever… so I have to ask, is it rocket science?  MG brought in Hammer, and Erhoff.  Stretcher was the next best homegrown player at the side.  

That’s no way to build a team.  

So fix that and not destroy our ability to win possession of the puck on the draw too badly and we have something to work with.  

Of the two, the magical RHD man who has top pairing potential is a unicorn for this franchise, we have been much better at building face off players as of late, so I would get my unicorn at the expense of a Center, even if we lost a bit of advantage on the draw.  

RHD man who has top pairing potential is a unicorn for most teams in the league.  Most of the top teams have drafted theirs, but some of the other top teams are making due with some average players in that spot.  

Tampa has Jan Rutta playing next to Victor Hedman. Carolina has Tony DeAngelo playing next to Jacob Slavin. Toronto has TJ Brodie playing next to Morgan Reilly. 

However most of the teams have their John Carlson, Aaron Ekblad, Cale Makar, or Adam Fox.