The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah we definitley need some Tanevs and Hamonics to complete the D-Core, Ideally we get another stud 2 way Dman that can crunch 25 mins a night and do it all. 

Then you will jake martin from the usdp. Third round grade, but definitely would be worth a pick. Guy is advanced in how to play defense

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Mason McTavish would be a perfect third line C on a cup team who could slot up if needs be. Reminds me a bit of Bo. Will need to get his feet working but has a solid presence and would step up big in the playoffs 

Be better off the wing. We dont always have to pidgeon hole prospects to a certain role

Canucks have a lot needs, will be happy to end up with any of these players Beniers, Power, Hughes, Clarke, Eklund, Lysell, Edvinsson, McTavish, or Johnson.

I'd be ecstatic if GMJB was able to trade down to get more draft picks (preferably 2nds or higher) and get one of the players listed above. 

Edited by AC Readership

I think LA or DET will select Wallstedt. Both teams seem to be in a rebuilding stage and are need of a top stud goalie prospect to grow with their young core.

So Canucks should be able to get a good BPA prospect that slipped down to us (like Hughes and Poz).  That is if we don't win the draft lottery. 

Edited by BPA

On 5/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, Alflives said:

Cuelemans in round one and Morrow in round two.  Although I see little chance Morrow is there for us Cuelemans should be.  

Morrow will be there in round two alf. Guy was literally an overager playing prep hockey in minnesota. 

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah that could be the case, my problem is I keep believing JB's comments which he tells us with include some buy out's this summer

Well now we finally have the young guys to come in on cheap ELC and fill some holes.  The problem is that we are one above average veteran away from being more competitive.  We need one more dynamic winger on this team on top of Podkolzin and I'd prefer him to be an established NHLer.  

If it means clearing ourselves of Roussel, moving Virtanen out and getting a more useful player instead, then I'm all for it.  The only way that hurts us is through Aquaman's checkbook. 

6 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I agree. I’d take that mindset outside of the top 10 and make all my picks as BPA. Then need be you can make a trade from a strength to fill a weakness. Drafting for need is a dated and poor way to go about drafting. With all the information available to scouts and management in modern times why not take advantage of it and take whoever leads your draft board. Every teams draft board varies but take who you and your scouting department believe to be the top player at each selection. 

While I agree to a degree. We still have to build a team say we draft Guenther/Johnson and in a perfect world he pans out can we trade Boeser for a top pairing RHD or a 200ft 2c? Doubtful... So what we are left with is redundancy. Realistically Youre not getting a prime Karlsson/Kesler until their all used up and youre still gonna over pay. The only way to get one is to draft one. Don't pass on the guy you need for a guy who does what guys you got already do. You may not get the opportunity again.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

I think LA or DET will select Wallstedt. Both teams seem to be in a rebuilding stage and are need of a top stud goalie prospect to grow with their young core.

So Canucks should be able to get a good BPA prospect that slipped down to us (like Hughes and Poz).  That is if we don't win the draft lottery. 

There is a pretty common top 8 in most of the mock drafts; in no particular order:

power,  Clark, edvinsson, hughes, beniers, johnson, eklund, guenther.  I agree that someone ahead of us takes Wallstedt more than likely,  an we walk away with one of the”top” 8.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

While I agree to a degree. We still have to build a team say we draft Guenther/Johnson and in a perfect world he pans out can we trade Boeser for a top pairing RHD or a 200ft 2c? Doubtful... So what we are left with is redundancy. Realistically Youre not getting a prime Karlsson/Kesler until their all used up and youre still gonna over pay. The only way to get one is to draft one. Don't pass on the guy you need for a guy who does what guys you got already do. You may not get the opportunity again.

But that’s assuming the guy you’re drafting for need turns into that top pairing RHD or a complete 2C. If drafting the guy that fits your need ends up being what you stated then absolutely that’s the route to go, but if that is the case then they’re also more then likely the BPA on the board or right near it anyway. If you have a stacked prospect pool with a ton of desirable pieces then you’re able to make moves. I agree a top pairing RHD is something this team needs but I’m personally not reaching for Ceulemans at 9, Clarke would be great if he fell to us I just don’t think he will. I’d take Power, Hughes and Edvinsson over Ceulemans as well and they’re all lefties. If all the top 4 Dmen are gone by 9 which I think they will be then I hope we go with a forward, and the best 2 that I see being available to us are Johnson and McTavish and both would make me really happy. But regardless of who we take, whether it’s who I want or not, I’ll be hoping turns into an absolute star

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Am I the only one here who wouldn't take Powers in the top 3?

Something about him just screams mistake

I kinda get a Nolan Patrick vibe... Obviously a different position... Just not sold on him.  But what do I know lol!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yeah, I don't see Powers as a good choice either. Powers seems very soft to me. Very ironic cause of his name

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This is not good logic. Why can't you trade Boeser for a top pairing RD or 200 ft 2C? I mean, it depends on what exactly is your definition and standard for those terms, but technically, there are 31 of them in the league (at least top pairing RDs). Not saying that is a good way of defining it, but my point is your terminology is unclear and that corrupts your argument. What is clear is that you have a 100% chance that you could, if you wanted, trade Boeser for a really good defenseman or a really good center, whether or not they live up to your ideal image of what you're looking for. There is a far, far lower chance of drafting that same player. Value is King. BPA over everything.

But even if you get an elite winger who pans out, you don't necessarily need to trade Boeser. All kinds of differently constructed teams win championships. One common trend for building dynasties is two franchise centers, like Crosby/Malkin, Sakic/Forsberg, Zetterberg/Datsyuk. But St. Louis and L.A. traded for Schenn/O'Reilly and Carter/Richards. Both of those teams' best player (arguably) was a franchise two-way defenseman. Washington's model was way out to left field compared to most recent Cup winners. Same for Anaheim, totally unique - their whole model relied on just having two of the best defensemen in the world, both who were acquired through trade or free-agency, although they also had some really good internally developed players like a young Getzlaf, Perry, Penner. And then there's Tampa, the greatest proof of "value is king" - they just drafted a bunch of incredibly good players, regardless of position; granted, the tax situation helps, but even if not for that, they could have used asset manipulation to trade some of those players for picks and prospects, as Chicago did during their dynasty. And Chicago is yet another example of a different model. The greatest counter-example of the two-franchise center model: just one do-it-all center, and then a franchise winger, a franchise defenseman, and a lot of otherreally  good players.

• Huggy Bear 1

Meh whoever we draft I trust JB will get his guy. At the time I wanted Newhook but I'm happy JB stuck to his guns and got Pod. He probably never out scores Newhook but Pod is a guy who has the bigger heart and probably puts home the game 7 winner. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

Dont get me wrong about Powers.  He has all the tools.

Big, decent skater, decent shot seems intelligent.

But he's also a literal giant among boys.  Remember Chychrun?  Myers? 

He's soft as hell and still gets beat too frequently from skilled players.

For that size and potential he should be lights out but isn't

I mean attractive and all but I'd rather have Brandt myself

• Cheers 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

I’d prefer Brandt as well, I’d take Hughes and Edvinsson over him too but I think you’re underselling his skating and ability in the Ozone. You’d like to see someone his size bring a lot more nastiness for sure. I think he could develop into what Ekblad did this year as a ceiling. Could have a similar career development in getting there too which wouldn’t bring immediate satisfaction 

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think both Rathbone and Hughes are better PP QB's then Juolevi, so someone would have to play their offside. Trent Cull complimented Rathbone's ability to walk the line on the powerplay, thinks hes one of the best in the league (AHL). Right now they are similar caliber of player but Rathbone has looked more dynamic offensively from the small sample size and trending better developmentally. 

I think he's more like a rover and is great on the half wall, he's got a hard, accurate shot.  He's the guy the QB feeds, not the QB.

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I would probably take Clarke or Eklund at #1, tbh

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I agree with what you are saying. I am skeptical of. Power and the big swede blue liner for that matter. Think their size is making people overlook things.

But I am not sure I agree with the chychrun reference.

Kid slipped far in draft and he's carving out a successful career for himself.

Like he literally just had 41 pts in 56 games played. Maybe I misunderstood your point.

The very little I know about this draft I just seem drawn to what I have read and seen of these guys most:

1. Clarke

2. Hughes

3. Eklund

4. McTavish

So I agree with Clarke. If we had pick #1 I would want him most.

Edited by R3aL
  • Vintage 1