The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

55 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Just hope the goalie is picked ahead of us so that makes one extra skater available to us.

Bit concerned that Johnson might also be the hard gainer string bean body like EP. Don’t want too many of those in my opinion. 

Mctavish (or Clarke) is really what I want most.

Not saying it to defend that he will put on weight easily, just more for factual background. Kent has an older brother (Kyle, 4 years older) who is 5'11 185lbs. You would think Kent could atleast get to the same weight, albeit taller, so still a bit slight for his height, but lots of guys are successful successful that weight. How plausible/long/easy it is for him to get there is another thing.

Edited by Sp3nny
Re-worded

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what about after him tho, I suspect he doesn't fall to 9. 

In my limited experience/view I see McTavish as the guy we need that might be there at 9. 

If we get Eklund or MacT we are very happy.  I wonder if CBJ might go for Johnson?  High end set up guy for Laine? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get Eklund or MacT we are very happy.  I wonder if CBJ might go for Johnson?  High end set up guy for Laine? 

after the tragedy they just had, maybe CBJ goes for Wallsted if he's still there tho?

LA maybe snaps up Johnson? 

Man its so hard to say. Its going to be a really fun draft. 

• Huggy Bear 1

VAN is actually in a very good spot at #9. It would be such a difficult decision to make at #2, 3, 4 and so on. Big pressure to take the right player, but so many to choose from. Deciding between Clarke, Eklund and McTavish when picking #3, hmmm. Tough choice.

Benning just has to sit back and wait as the prospects are picked off the list. Some teams ahead may do something different, like taking Ceulemans, Wallstedt, and Lysell.

Benning will have some very good options available at #9.  

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

My take on ceilings: (based on reading and some watching)

Power - top pairing dman but not Norris caliber

Beniers - mediocre 1st line center or excellent 2nd liner

Eklund - 1st line star, top 10 nhl scorer

Clarke - #1 defenseman, possible Norris candidate on the right team in 5 years

Hughes - # 1 defenseman, possible Norris candidate on the right team in 5 years

Wallstedt - Vezina candidate

McTavish - Excellent 2nd line center, PKer, 

Guenther - 1st line winger, 30 goals, 30 assists

Johnson - 1st line winger, 70 pts

Edvinsson - Top pairing defensemen, but not Norris Caliber

Well done IMO, and I agree with your predictions for the most part, but would probably predict Beniers becomes a very good #1C

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think 2 of MacTavish, Guenther, Johnson and Edvinsson will be available for us.  

Looking at these 4, and based on the predictions, the BPAs are?

Johnson

Guenther

McTavish

Edvinsson

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well done IMO, and I agree with your predictions for the most part, but would probably predict Beniers becomes a very good #1C

Mediocre was the wrong word.  I meant to say, of the 32 1st line centers in the league I didn't think he would be in the top 15.  Of course any 1st line center in the NHL is very good.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at these 4, and based on the predictions, the BPAs are?

Johnson

Guenther

McTavish

Edvinsson

I have a feeling that, while he is a bpa guy, because of the balanced nature of the top 10 this year, need will factor in more than usual and Benning would take MacTavish of that group if he has the choice.  After trading Gaudette and Madden, we are really thin at center.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He could form some nasty chemistry with guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc. We'd have jaw dropping power plays for years.

Pretty nasty squad right there. 

Lots of ways to score and the creativity is out of this world in this group.

Anyone know why the lack of love for Simon Edvinsson? I watched the kid play, and I think he shows good use of his size on both ends of the ice, occasionally great instincts on both O and D, good skating and playmaking. Does he make some stupid reads every once in a while? Sure, but he can learn from that. He definitely needs to improve his shot (specifically how quickly he shoots it), but his good stickhandling is a good indicator that he can do it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Anyone know why the lack of love for Simon Edvinsson? I watched the kid play, and I think he shows good use of his size on both ends of the ice, occasionally great instincts on both O and D, good skating and playmaking. Does he make some stupid reads every once in a while? Sure, but he can learn from that. He definitely needs to improve his shot (specifically how quickly he shoots it), but his good stickhandling is a good indicator that he can do it.

For me it’s mostly just because he is a LHD. If he was RHD id be way more high on him. Thats just me tho on why im not

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

after the tragedy they just had, maybe CBJ goes for Wallsted if he's still there tho?

LA maybe snaps up Johnson? 

Man its so hard to say. Its going to be a really fun draft. 

Don't mean to slight Kivelnieks, but they are set in net short-medium term with Korpi and Merz, and they still have Tarasov and Vehvilainen. But if Josef Boumedienne, Ville Siren and Oscar Akerlund believe he is the best player at 5, I have no doubt Jarmo would take him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so in terms of being good with limited time and space, who's our best F choice in the 1st round in your view?

Eklund is great at controlling the puck, but he's more about finding open ice and drawing defenders out of the high danger areas to open dangerous passing plays. I'd put Svechkov more in that same category. Besides McTavish, Brandt Clake is a master at manipulating the middle of the ice between the hashmarks. Lucius has shown nice moves in tight, and he's elite at maneuvering the slot area without the puck. I've mentioned Beniers is a bit tricky, because he seems to have the processing speed to make plays in tights, but often the hands and feet can't keep up. Chibrikov has pretty nice hands in tight, and so does Kent Johnson actually.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Eklund is great at controlling the puck, but he's more about finding open ice and drawing defenders out of the high danger areas to open dangerous passing plays. I'd put Svechkov more in that same category. Besides McTavish, Brandt Clake is a master at manipulating the middle of the ice between the hashmarks. Lucius has shown nice moves in tight, and he's elite at maneuvering the slot area without the puck. I've mentioned Beniers is a bit tricky, because he seems to have the processing speed to make plays in tights, but often the hands and feet can't keep up. Chibrikov has pretty nice hands in tight, and so does Kent Johnson actually.

So assuming Eklund, Clarke and McTavish are gone by 9, Johnson seems like a good choice to many. 

I was looking up Svechkov, seems like we might have an outside shot at getting him in the 2nd round maybe. I'd prefer a RHD tho in that spot.