The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

On 2/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, gurn said:

Miller would go for a first. If they can't fix/find what Miller's issues are this year they may just move on.

Schmidt and Holtby might get a first depending on the other teams injury situation, and play off aspirations

The rest are 2nd picks at best, unless they are packaged up, and even then it is doubtful.

I am a guy that would trade any player that does not have trade protection, as long as it helps the team.

I also would not sign any ntc/nmc with any player short of young Crosby/Mcdavid/Ovie stature

As bad as things seem I highly doubt any core pieces like JT or Nate are moved.

The draft is a crapshoot and might not take place for 15 months.

I would be ok with trading JT+ around a package for Seth Jones or a similar high-end RHD. Nate even without the point totals has still managed to be part of one of the best duos at shutting down top lines.

If the Kraken take a vet off us and with Ferlands LTIR we will have over 30 million in cap.

I don't think Petey and Quinn will get anything North of 8 and with ELCs replacing most of the Vets, our GM will have the cap to acquire some upgrades.

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I hope we do as bad next year as well. DEEP AF draft 

I

Michkov is under contract until he's 23 and after that he may get an offer to stay past that.

He's not from a wealthy family and might prefer the security of staying home.

I'm sure he gets drafted but I don't see a lottery pick being used on him while he's there until at least the 26-27

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dunno about everyone else but when I watch Power play I just see a behemoth of a kid lumbering around. I'm not seeing much in the way of elite skill or IQ. What is most worrisome on top is I'm not really seeing much in the way of snarl. He moves the puck well in the O zone and he physically imposes his will on anyone he comes into contact with . I just haven't seen him do much of anything remarkable except be huge and above average at hockey. At his size I guess that's good enough. But I'm not seeing Shea Webber, Victor Headman upside there. 

When compared to the other big boi in the top of the draft Simon Edvinsson I see a lot more upside in Edvinsson he skates very fluidly for a big man. Plays with pace finishes his checks with pop. He wants the puck on his stick and as quickly as its on it he's made a play with it. This is a kid I can really get excited about. I have him at #2 for D men.

Speaking of kids to be excited Luke has got to be our number 1 choice here. He skates and handles the puck like his brethren which at 6'2" doesn't seem possible but he does it. Given the opportunity if he is available it would be foolish to take anyone else.  I seriously don't know how anyone can watch him and not rank him 1st overall. 

Brandt Clarke I have come full circle on I would have him as my #3 D man in this draft class.  He does all the things sometimes too many things if he can settle his game down a bit and rely on his team mates. He has so much ability he's bursting all over the place. With some coaching he could be elite. However if we do end up drafting him I hope we have a few left shot Tanev clones growing in the basement of the ROG.

You're singing my tune on Power. The "sluggishness" as you call it and lack of physicality are evident. But the more I watch him I am starting to see a lot of things he does well. I just don't see him as the first overall pick. Maybe top three. Certainly top five. I've heard comparisons to Pronger as well, which seems absurd to me.

I've said it before but I'm just not much of a fan of Edvinsson. I mean, you see plays with the puck like this:

and make offensive reads like this:

and you wonder why he's only averaging 5:48 per game and has been a healthy scratch for the past month. And then you see plays like these:

I might not have thought too much of it if that's the first time I saw him. A young kid making mistakes as a rookie pro, no big deal. But at both the U17 Challenge and the 5 Nation U17s, he was constantly getting burned by skilled players his own age. I mean, the size, strength, skating, and puck skills are obvious, and I do agree the upside is tremendous, but the defensive concerns are too much for him to be a top ten pick in my opinion, certainly not a top five. I don't mind it so much when a defense prospect gets caught trying to make offensive plays - that can be easily coached (the difficulty comes with knowing and deciding when to go or not), but with Edvinsson it is something more. I'm not sure if it is vision or reaction quickness or hockey IQ, but something is off there.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

You're singing my tune on Power. The "sluggishness" as you call it and lack of physicality are evident. But the more I watch him I am starting to see a lot of things he does well. I just don't see him as the first overall pick. Maybe top three. Certainly top five. I've heard comparisons to Pronger as well, which seems absurd to me.

I've said it before but I'm just not much of a fan of Edvinsson. I mean, you see plays with the puck like this:

and make offensive reads like this:

and you wonder why he's only averaging 5:48 per game and has been a healthy scratch for the past month. And then you see plays like these:

I might not have thought too much of it if that's the first time I saw him. A young kid making mistakes as a rookie pro, no big deal. But at both the U17 Challenge and the 5 Nation U17s, he was constantly getting burned by skilled players his own age. I mean, the size, strength, skating, and puck skills are obvious, but the defensive concerns are too much for him to be a top ten pick in my opinion, certainly not a top five. I don't mind it so much when a defense prospect gets caught trying to make offensive plays - that can be easily coached (the difficulty comes with knowing and deciding when to go or not), but with Edvinsson it is something more. I'm not sure if it is vision or reaction quickness or hockey IQ, but something is off there.

That's fair concern. For me I see a kid who's 6'5 and agile as a cat. I agree with much of what you are saying however he is a raw 18yo kid. The most important part for me is that hes got his motor running. Where when I watch Power it's like watching Brian Reeves on skates. I feel like Edvinssons spatial awareness is coachable he definately is prone to getting caught flat footed when he loses himself. Still see a kid with to much upside to miss the top 5. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Michkov is under contract until he's 23 and after that he may get an offer to stay past that.

I'm sure he gets drafted but I don't see a lottery pick being used on him while he's there until at least the 26-27

Well it is still early in the day, but I'm pretty sure this will be the most ridiculous thing I read today.

After reading this scouting report Clarke is my favourite prospect. Pretty strange that a young canadian kid is playing in Slovakia's men's league. Haven't heard about a canadian prospect to play in a European men's league for development purposes.

2021 NHL Draft Prospect

By Brock Otten

Brandt Clarke

2019-20 Barrie Colts, OHL, 57GP-6G-32A-38PTS

2020-21 HC Nove Zamky, Slovakia, 8GP-0G-0A-0PTS

Scouting for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft has been incredibly challenging thus far, no more so than in the region of Ontario. Due to rolling lockdowns and restrictions, because of the COVID pandemic, the Ontario Hockey League has yet to begin play this season. Many prospects have not yet played a meaningful game in their draft years. Others have relocated to continue to their development, on loan to European club teams. One of those players is top defenseman Brandt Clarke, who has been playing in Slovakia with HC Nove Zamky for the last month or so. Clarke made the switch to the Slovakian men’s league along with his brother, Graeme, a New Jersey Devils draft pick and fellow OHL’er, at the end of December. 

Considered by many to be a candidate for the top five of the 2021 NHL Draft, Clarke is the perfect modern day NHL defender. Coming through the Don Mills Flyers minor hockey program, Clarke was a standout at an early age and captured an OHL Cup (U16 Championship) with the Flyers, on a team that also included phenom Shane Wright. As such, he was selected 4th overall by the Barrie Colts in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection. His first OHL season (as abrupt as it may have been) was largely a success as Clarke found himself named to the OHL’s All Rookie team.  

A coveted right shot defender, Clarke has very few weaknesses as a player and prospect. He possesses excellent four-way mobility, which he uses to make an impact at both ends of the ice. Blessed with terrific instincts offensively and defensively, he projects as an all situations, minute eating defender at the NHL level. He continues to gain confidence in being able to use his quickness to activate offensively and his hands and vision are both excellent, which allows him to navigate the neutral zone in order to successfully gain entry to the offensive zone. In the second half of the most recent OHL season, Clarke also grew exponentially as a powerplay QB, gaining the confidence and poise to direct from the blueline. From a defensive perspective, Clarke shows great gap control when defending in transition and is working hard to improve the consistency of his physicality to improve his effectiveness in tight spaces. By increasing that intensity level, he can be more difficult to play against.

In the Slovakian men’s league this season, Clarke has yet to register a point through eight games (as of writing this). However, his play has been better than that statline would indicate. He has been averaging well over 20 minutes per game and playing in all situations for HC Nove Zamky. Most impressively, he has shown great confidence in his offensive abilities and has been ultra-aggressive in pushing the pace by leading the breakout and jumping up into the attack. He has also made a concerted attempt to play more physical, even receiving a game misconduct for a check to the head in one of his games. Having watched several of his games in Slovakia (via video scouting), it can be said confidently that it is only a matter of time before his offensive production begins to improve given how well he is playing. 

Whether the OHL is able to start the 2020-21 season or not remains to be seen. Regardless of what happens in Ontario, Clarke is expected to be a contender for a top 5 selection in 2021 and projects as the kind of defender an NHL team can build their blueline around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

As bad as things seem I highly doubt any core pieces like JT or Nate are moved.

The draft is a crapshoot and might not take place for 15 months.

I would be ok with trading JT+ around a package for Seth Jones or a similar high-end RHD. Nate even without the point totals has still managed to be part of one of the best duos at shutting down top lines.

If the Kraken take a vet off us and with Ferlands LTIR we will have over 30 million in cap.

I don't think Petey and Quinn will get anything North of 8 and with ELCs replacing most of the Vets, our GM will have the cap to acquire some upgrades.

I could see both moved. Nate we got for a song and we could easily take an expiring contract back and upgrade the pick coming our way. (Asset management).

Same for Miller. I think his attitude is wearing thin on some of the guys in the room he's a competitive guy. This is quite the mystery draft there are many guys IMO ranked well ahead of where they should be. 

If we come away from this draft with 1 of 

Luke

Edvinsson

Eklund 

Clarke

Johnson 

Wallstedt

and then manage to pick up 2 of........

Corson Ceulemans

Chaz Lucious

Nik Chibrikov

Fedor Svechkov

Samuel Helenius

Maxim Krovyakov

I won't shed a single tear over Jimothy Timmothy, Schmitty, Pearson. They have been effective in their time with us but they are the few that carry value who I do not see as irreplaceable pieces. If JB can get a 1st and 2 or 3 top 70 picks out of trading them this is the year to buy lotto tickets.

Edler should get his retirement contract. He has been treated like absolute garbage by this fanbase and always stuck buy us.

Sutter if he can be signed for cheap real cheap. He hasn't lived up to his current contract maybe he does us a solid. He seems genuinely liked in the room (foundational if you will). I think his mentorship is more valuable than most think.

Myers Love him or hate him he provides attributes that are woefully lacking on our team from a position we are weakest. He is also displays leadership qualities.

Hammonic I think he should get a mulligan on this season. He's a pro who has proven over the course of his career to be a top minute munching shut down D things have been coming up Millhouse for him this year. I think he should be given another chance. I mean for 1.25m there is too much upside if he can right the ship. If not oh well. No risk.

34 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting article re draft

How 2021 NHL Draft uncertainty is impacting players differently (sportsnet.ca)

"One option the NHL is reportedly considering would move the draft to the summer of 2022."

I wonder if either federal government or law courts would get involved in this?

If they don't hold a draft, can a, should have been draft eligible, player go after the league?

Decades back Ken Linseman got the draft rules changed, arguing his financial were being hosed by the rules.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I could see both moved. Nate we got for a song and we could easily take an expiring contract back and upgrade the pick coming our way. (Asset management).

Same for Miller. I think his attitude is wearing thin on some of the guys in the room he's a competitive guy. This is quite the mystery draft there are many guys IMO ranked well ahead of where they should be. 

If we come away from this draft with 1 of 

Luke

Edvinsson

Eklund 

Clarke

Johnson 

Wallstedt

and then manage to pick up 2 of........

Corson Ceulemans

Chaz Lucious

Nik Chibrikov

Fedor Svechkov

Samuel Helenius

Maxim Krovyakov

I won't shed a single tear over Jimothy Timmothy, Schmitty, Pearson. They have been effective in their time with us but they are the few that carry value who I do not see as irreplaceable pieces. If JB can get a 1st and 2 or 3 top 70 picks out of trading them this is the year to buy lotto tickets.

Edler should get his retirement contract. He has been treated like absolute garbage by this fanbase and always stuck buy us.

Sutter if he can be signed for cheap real cheap. He hasn't lived up to his current contract maybe he does us a solid. He seems genuinely liked in the room (foundational if you will). I think his mentorship is more valuable than most think.

Myers Love him or hate him he provides attributes that are woefully lacking on our team from a position we are weakest. He is also displays leadership qualities.

Hammonic I think he should get a mulligan on this season. He's a pro who has proven over the course of his career to be a top minute munching shut down D things have been coming up Millhouse for him this year. I think he should be given another chance. I mean for 1.25m there is too much upside if he can right the ship. If not oh well. No risk.

I def wonder what we can get for Jimothy Timothy. We got him for a 1st and a 3rd. Wonder if anyone would pay a higher price in the future who knows. 

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

After reading this scouting report Clarke is my favourite prospect. Pretty strange that a young canadian kid is playing in Slovakia's men's league. Haven't heard about a canadian prospect to play in a European men's league for development purposes.

2021 NHL Draft Prospect

By Brock Otten

Brandt Clarke

2019-20 Barrie Colts, OHL, 57GP-6G-32A-38PTS

2020-21 HC Nove Zamky, Slovakia, 8GP-0G-0A-0PTS

Scouting for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft has been incredibly challenging thus far, no more so than in the region of Ontario. Due to rolling lockdowns and restrictions, because of the COVID pandemic, the Ontario Hockey League has yet to begin play this season. Many prospects have not yet played a meaningful game in their draft years. Others have relocated to continue to their development, on loan to European club teams. One of those players is top defenseman Brandt Clarke, who has been playing in Slovakia with HC Nove Zamky for the last month or so. Clarke made the switch to the Slovakian men’s league along with his brother, Graeme, a New Jersey Devils draft pick and fellow OHL’er, at the end of December. 

Considered by many to be a candidate for the top five of the 2021 NHL Draft, Clarke is the perfect modern day NHL defender. Coming through the Don Mills Flyers minor hockey program, Clarke was a standout at an early age and captured an OHL Cup (U16 Championship) with the Flyers, on a team that also included phenom Shane Wright. As such, he was selected 4th overall by the Barrie Colts in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection. His first OHL season (as abrupt as it may have been) was largely a success as Clarke found himself named to the OHL’s All Rookie team.  

A coveted right shot defender, Clarke has very few weaknesses as a player and prospect. He possesses excellent four-way mobility, which he uses to make an impact at both ends of the ice. Blessed with terrific instincts offensively and defensively, he projects as an all situations, minute eating defender at the NHL level. He continues to gain confidence in being able to use his quickness to activate offensively and his hands and vision are both excellent, which allows him to navigate the neutral zone in order to successfully gain entry to the offensive zone. In the second half of the most recent OHL season, Clarke also grew exponentially as a powerplay QB, gaining the confidence and poise to direct from the blueline. From a defensive perspective, Clarke shows great gap control when defending in transition and is working hard to improve the consistency of his physicality to improve his effectiveness in tight spaces. By increasing that intensity level, he can be more difficult to play against.

In the Slovakian men’s league this season, Clarke has yet to register a point through eight games (as of writing this). However, his play has been better than that statline would indicate. He has been averaging well over 20 minutes per game and playing in all situations for HC Nove Zamky. Most impressively, he has shown great confidence in his offensive abilities and has been ultra-aggressive in pushing the pace by leading the breakout and jumping up into the attack. He has also made a concerted attempt to play more physical, even receiving a game misconduct for a check to the head in one of his games. Having watched several of his games in Slovakia (via video scouting), it can be said confidently that it is only a matter of time before his offensive production begins to improve given how well he is playing. 

Whether the OHL is able to start the 2020-21 season or not remains to be seen. Regardless of what happens in Ontario, Clarke is expected to be a contender for a top 5 selection in 2021 and projects as the kind of defender an NHL team can build their blueline around.

Craig Button said he saw shades of Brent Burns in his game! Elite prospect no doubt. 2 way potential as well.

The top d man in the class of 2021 imo. His right hand shot vaults him to the top.

Shame if the draft gets postponed to next year. He should go to Sweden or Switzerland to play against better competition ideally against men so he doesn't start to develop any bad habits and keeps sharp.

13 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I'm guessing his English is not great. Being from a poor family probably means he didn't get English lessons regularly in schools or on the side.

He may miss the home cooking too much. A team  like Tampa could take him that can afford to wait because they draft so well every year it seems.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I def wonder what we can get for Jimothy Timothy. We got him for a 1st and a 3rd. Wonder if anyone would pay a higher price in the future who knows. 

72 pts in 69 (dude nice)  games last year. 19 in 21 this year. Ya I would say his value should have risen. Especially if JB takes expiring dead cap back to make it work. This isn't really a thought out proposal but just an example of something along the lines of what I would expect. 

To Minni 

JT + Virtanen -50% combined 6.52m

To Van

Bonino 4.1m UFA 4pts

Bjugstad 2.05m UFA 6pts Possibly re sign him cheap. 

Combined 10 pts  6.15M 

Minni 1st 2021 Pitty 1st 2021 

This could be Minni's last chance to make a kick at the can with the Parise and Suter contracts only getting worse by the minute. Depends on how desperate they are. 

in 2020 JT and JV combined for 108 points 

in 2020 Bonino and Bjugstad combined for 37 points

Edited by hammertime

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

72 pts in 69 (dude nice)  games last year. 19 in 21 this year. Ya I would say his value should have risen. Especially if JB takes expiring dead cap back to make it work. This isn't really a thought out proposal but just an example of something along the lines of what I would expect. 

To Minni 

JT + Virtanen -50% combined 6.52m

To Van

Bonino 4.1m UFA 4pts

Bjugstad 2.05m UFA 6pts Possibly re sign him cheap. 

Combined 10 pts  6.15M 

Minni 1st 2021 Pitty 1st 2021 

This could be Minni's last chance to make a kick at the can with the Parise and Suter contracts only getting worse by the minute. Depends on how desperate they are. 

in 2020 JT and JV combined for 108 points 

in 2020 Bonino and Bjugstad combined for 37 points

I would need more back. 2 former firsts, both playing in the NHL  for 2 picks that might never play a game of Canuck hockey, not enough back.

I get taking money back and even retaining, but have to get better return.

Just now, gurn said:

I would need more back. 2 former firsts, both playing in the NHL  for 2 picks that might never play a game of Canuck hockey, not enough back.

I get taking money back and even retaining, but have to get better return.

You realize that if you could trade Jake straight up for a photocopier rn you do it.