The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Prospect watch Jack Bar potential late 2nd/3rd

RHD former Penticton Vee  now playing with Chicago Steel Committed to Harvard 2022. 

Efficient puck mover from the back end who uses powerful strides to jump into the rush. Still a work in progress, his combination of size and skill give him potential as a two-way, puck moving defenceman at the NHL level. Bar has an intriguing combination of size, skating ability, and offensive skill. He has good mobility for his size, able to elude forecheckers before firing a clean breakout pass or skating the puck out on his own and he likes to join the rush to create odd-man situations for his team. One of Bar’s greatest attributes is his proficiency on puck retrievals in the defensive zone. He protects the puck well, shielding off forecheckers with his big frame while controlling the puck in his feet and more often than not, he is able to escape pressure by spinning off his check or dishing the puck to a teammate and getting open for a return pass. He can try to do too much at times, however, and will skate himself into trouble on occasion. He has good defensive instincts and defends the rush well but he can struggle with his change of direction when puck carriers attack with speed. Still a raw prospect, Bar has potential as a second pairing puck mover but his floor as a solid number five or six defensemen at the NHL level feels pretty safe. Nick Richard

https://bchl.ca/stats/player/6617

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/503032/jack-bar

"Hockey is essentially part of my identity," said the 18-year-old.

And it could also be Bar's professional future. The 1.87-metre, 88-kilogram Newmarket, Ont. native is ranked as one of the top 32 players in the 2021 National Hockey League Draft.

This was supposed to be his year to shine, an opportunity he's worked for since his dad laced up his skates as a two-year-old.

"It's a season I've been waiting for pretty much my whole life," Bar said  "It's every kid's dream to get drafted into the NHL and hopefully play there one day.

"It would be a dream come true." 

It's possible with all of the uncertainty he has slipped under the radar If JB can acquire an additional pick he may be worth taking a chance on late in the 2nd or if he falls to our 3rd.

Edited by hammertime

On 3/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, NaveJoseph said:

Yeah I'm not saying it would be a bad pick, but Benning is fighting for his job. We have more immediate concerns than at goalie. 

Benning hasn’t mortgaged the future too much outside of giving up Madden and a 2nd.  He has also chosen to save money long term and lost some of our players as a result.  So I really think that Benning will have no problems taking Wall if he thinks he’s worth it.  

I wonder what’s the highest pick that Benning has ever used on a goalie? Demko? 

55 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning hasn’t mortgaged the future too much outside of giving up Madden and a 2nd.  He has also chosen to save money long term and lost some of our players as a result.  So I really think that Benning will have no problems taking Wall if he thinks he’s worth it.  

I wonder what’s the highest pick that Benning has ever used on a goalie? Demko? 

He has most notably drafted Thatcher Demko with the 6th pick of the 2nd round (as Canucks GM), and Ryan Miller with the 12th pick of the 5th round (as Sabres head scout). Makes me think he believes he can get goalies beyond the 1st round. However, I have complete faith in his drafting, and if he wants to take Wall, I have no problem with that. Just don't predict that he will. 

Looking ahead at the numbers I’m predicting that we draft 10th this year

anyone think Luke Hughes would still be available then? 

Still early and the teams below us will shuffle around a bit. 

Depending where NJ picks they could reunite the brothers. Rangers San Jose LA could potentially pick him but there is still a very good chance they could pass us in the standings 

21 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Depending where NJ picks they could reunite the brothers. Rangers San Jose LA could potentially pick him but there is still a very good chance they could pass us in the standings 

Do we really need another one dimeniosnal left handed Dman?

45 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I think it's too early for some speculation, because there are some variables we do not know, yet, for example the final rankings and especially the results of the draft lottery.

Hoping RHD Vincent Iorio makes it to our 2nd rounder.

Good size, skating, poise/patience/IQ, solid in his own end. Not 'dynamic' but just makes solid, safe plays and moves the puck forward.

'Hometown' kid was well.

Edited by aGENT

There is one kid that really intrigues me in this draft.

Prokhor Poltapov. C/RW

He has the three, on ice, attributes that make for a great player. Compete, skill, and speed.

At 5'10, his stature is not very imposing but, common opinion is that he is the most aggressive player in this draft. He is fearless.

Most scouts have him going in the second round but some have him in the late first round. This is mostly due to the fact that, although he's aggressive, it's not consistent. He sometimes choses a more conservative, defensive approach when he should be taking a more aggressive stance, attacking the puck. This being said, however, he is the leading scorer on his team. It may take some time (3-4 years) but, with proper, gradual, patient development, Poltapov could be a steal.

I really feel this is a kid to keep an eye on. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:43 AM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I think it’s very unlikely Hughes makes it to 10! I was hoping that a mini sale of vets and teams behind us creep up and we find ourselves picking 6-7 and thought there’d be a minimal chance at that spot for Hughes. Aside from how awesome it would be to have another brother duo in Vancouver there’s a lot of other great prospects in the top 10.

19 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it’s very unlikely Hughes makes it to 10! I was hoping that a mini sale of vets and teams behind us creep up and we find ourselves picking 6-7 and thought there’d be a minimal chance at that spot for Hughes. Aside from how awesome it would be to have another brother duo in Vancouver there’s a lot of other great prospects in the top 10.

I thimk it is a realistic possibility that he is there since hughes is out for the year.

3 hours ago, Isam said:

I thimk it is a realistic possibility that he is there since hughes is out for the year.

I saw one article that said several torn ligaments in his foot. However it’s not like he didn’t play this year. He’s only missing the last handful of games so teams should have enough tape to scout him with his peers. I think he’s done enough to still be taken before 10th overall.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I saw one article that said several torn ligaments in his foot. However it’s not like he didn’t play this year. He’s only missing the last handful of games so teams should have enough tape to scout him with his peers. I think he’s done enough to still be taken before 10th overall.

Of course. Teams aren't drafting for next season, they are looking to draft a player for the next ten plus years. Strange (probably impulse) reaction from the previous poster.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, komodo0921 said:

There is one kid that really intrigues me in this draft.

Prokhor Poltapov. C/RW

He has the three, on ice, attributes that make for a great player. Compete, skill, and speed.

At 5'10, his stature is not very imposing but, common opinion is that he is the most aggressive player in this draft. He is fearless.

Most scouts have him going in the second round but some have him in the late first round. This is mostly due to the fact that, although he's aggressive, it's not consistent. He sometimes choses a more conservative, defensive approach when he should be taking a more aggressive stance, attacking the puck. This being said, however, he is the leading scorer on his team. It may take some time (3-4 years) but, with proper, gradual, patient development, Poltapov could be a steal.

I really feel this is a kid to keep an eye on. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan. Skill level is clearly very high, but I don't see him as very NHL-translatable. Looks to me like he's better suited to the wider ice. He's great on the perimeter, but doesn't seem to know how to handle himself in limited space-time situations down low, where offense is made or broken in the NHL. The upside is big, so maybe he figures it out and some team get a major steal, but I wouldn't take the risk until mid second round at the earliest. Also, it sounds a little off when you say he's the (not even just one of the) most aggressive players in the class, but he's not consistently aggressive. :huh: Anyway, just for fun, here's my top 10 Russian forwards for this draft:

1. Fyodor Svechkov

2. Nikita Chibrikov

3. Matvei Petrov

4. Dmitry Katelevsky

5. Alexander Kisakov

6. Prokhor Poltapov

7. Vsevolod Gaidamak

8. Daniil Lazutin

9. Danil Aimurzin

10. Ilya Ivantsov

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Scouts rely heavily on recency bias. And the further the chl season goes, i can definitely see hughes falling a bit.  Take for instance guenthers and sillingers torrid scoring pace in both the dub and ushl. I can definitely see both of them rising quite a few spots and knocking down a few people in the top ten

42 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Of course. Teams aren't drafting for next season, they are looking to draft a player for the next ten plus years. Strange (probably impulse) reaction from the previous poster.

Of course, but again recency bias does play a factor in scouting

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Of course, but again recency bias does play a factor in scouting

Fair enough, but we should give NHL scouts credit, I don't think they're changing their opinions with the weather. But on the other hand, I suppose maybe if area scouts have been seeing one thing for a long time, and only later do chief scouts get around to seeing the players, that could effect team's lists according to what seems like recency bias to us fans.

But personally, Hughes is fairly entrenched in my top 3, so I would be very surprised if he falls anywhere close to ten, and I've have had Sillinger in my top six or seven for over a year, so nothing he's doing now is changing anything - I ranked him 4th in my initial 2021 ranking, after the 2019 U17s. Guenther, on the other hand is definitely moving up my list, but NHL scouts already had him 3rd pre-season, according to Bob McKenzie's poll.