The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

.if that makes sense????

I just loved the associations & commentary.  It sounded like it made so much sense;

Measured carefully to each teams need? Seattle build from center ice. Hughes left handed partner to Drysdale. Clarke a right handed partner to play with Smith. Ying to Seider's yang... 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Great work, Jan.

I'd take Johnson over McTavish though.

Why? I really think in McTavish is there we need to pick him. He has played against men already and showed well doing it, plus he has an NHL sized body now. Johnson is slender, sure he can put on weight but we have 1 slender often injured F by the name of Petey already. We need players with size and durability, players who are hard to play against and play a hard nosed game who will make opposition players dread playing them. McT seems like a guy who will play a heavy game, has the size and grit we lack and also could fit as a #3C and maybe improve over time to jump into the top 6 or just be that steady dependable #3C who can PK, maybe be a net front presence on PP2 etc.

Time to go away from the slight, soft, skilled guy and take a safer pick who also fits a glaring hole positionally in the Canucks organization. Also, after drafting a local kid top 6 and seeing him turn out to be a bust, I am very opposed to us taking that chance again...for me it is still too soon as Virtanen as of now is still a player for us and he is been a failure from day 1. Plus, the local media is just far too hard on these kids coming into the league.

Canucks need a C, RW, RHD with their first selection. I really hope we move down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd round pick and draft Ceulmans, or move out pick with #21 to clear 6m in cap space and gain a later 1st round pick back.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I asked this question and nobody answered?  

What prospects are expected to actually play in the nhl next season?

I've heard that it's likely that none of them are ready yet, but you never know, depends on the team too.

My guess, possibly

D - Power, Edvinsson, Clarke and Lambos

F - McTavish, Sillinger and Lucius

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Interesting. Ladd is some pretty nasty dead weight, but as others mentioned in that thread... local Maple Ridge guy, longstanding veteran with a ton of leadership qualities.. could be useful as part of our coaching staff even if bought out?

I think there's the makings of something there.

Dobson is a great target. Exactly the kind of player we need, and incredibly young still.

Would love Dobson on our team, but if NYI make that trade they're stupid and considering who their GM is I wouldn't bet on it. I think you'd need to offer more than Schmidt to make that deal, too much to be worth it for our team.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Another benefit could be if done right after ED, we pay Ladd's bonus, saving NYI actual cash too.

so Ladd, including bonus, plus Dobson for Nate.... 

it would have to be for Dobson because we'd need him to step in sometime next year, if not out of camp. 

It still leaves NYI over the cap, so I think they'd want a cost controlled F out of us too. So the deal might have to include someone like Lind too. 

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I asked this question and nobody answered?  

What prospects are expected to actually play in the nhl next season?

To be honest I'd say none if you want to develop them properly, but Power and Beniers could probably play next year. I think if done right Powers, Beniers, and Eklund are in the NHL not next season but the one after, everyone else 2+ years. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

To be honest I'd say none if you want to develop them properly, but Power and Beniers could probably play next year. I think if done right Powers, Beniers, and Eklund are in the NHL not next season but the one after, everyone else 2+ years. 

Meh i think mctavish can make it not this up coming season but next.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Meh i think mctavish can make it not this up coming season but next.

I dont think so, if you want to rush him you could force it, we tried that with Virtanen didnt work out great. McTavish is still pretty raw, will take longer because he is a center.  For reference Alex Turcotte who was a #5OV pick and more refined defensive game than McTavish has yet to play an NHL game after two season post draft. Only Cozens, Dach, Kakko, and Hughes have played at least half a season after two years.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've heard that it's likely that none of them are ready yet, but you never know, depends on the team too.

My guess, possibly

D - Power, Edvinsson, Clarke and Lambos

F - McTavish, Sillinger and Lucius

Lol, Edvinsson couldn't handle a depth role in the SHL this year. No chance he's in the NHL next year. Same for Lambos, he got into two Liiga games and averaged seven minutes.

Best bets are Power and Beniers.

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think so, if you want to rush him you could force it, we tried that with Virtanen didnt work out great. McTavish is still pretty raw, will take longer because he is a center.  For reference Alex Turcotte who was a #5OV pick and more refined defensive game than McTavish has yet to play an NHL game after two season post draft. Only Cozens, Dach, Kakko, and Hughes have played at least half a season after two years.  

The video i watched of him really impressed me how mature and smart he is. Maybe or maybe not, we will see i guess.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why? I really think in McTavish is there we need to pick him. He has played against men already and showed well doing it, plus he has an NHL sized body now. Johnson is slender, sure he can put on weight but we have 1 slender often injured F by the name of Petey already. We need players with size and durability, players who are hard to play against and play a hard nosed game who will make opposition players dread playing them. McT seems like a guy who will play a heavy game, has the size and grit we lack and also could fit as a #3C and maybe improve over time to jump into the top 6 or just be that steady dependable #3C who can PK, maybe be a net front presence on PP2 etc.

Time to go away from the slight, soft, skilled guy and take a safer pick who also fits a glaring hole positionally in the Canucks organization. Also, after drafting a local kid top 6 and seeing him turn out to be a bust, I am very opposed to us taking that chance again...for me it is still too soon as Virtanen as of now is still a player for us and he is been a failure from day 1. Plus, the local media is just far too hard on these kids coming into the league.

Canucks need a C, RW, RHD with their first selection. I really hope we move down a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd round pick and draft Ceulmans, or move out pick with #21 to clear 6m in cap space and gain a later 1st round pick back.

I guess the mindset for Johnson over McTavish would be the BPA talk. Johnson may take longer to arrive, but he could be a top 6 offensive player and thus have more value than a potential 3C. Yes our current need is for a 3C, but McTavish isn't expected to step in next season. Perhaps we fill that hole before McTavish even arrives. So the question is how much more potential is there to McTavish?

Centers are a positional need in terms of depth, but Johnson is also considered a center and would fill that need as well.

I wouldn't be concerned about the local boy aspect over Virtanen. That was a maturity issue. Players like Stecher thrived here as a local kid. Although I also wouldn't draft simply for the local boy factor either.

The "safer" pick has netted us with Juolevi and Virtanen, who are fine picks, but the riskier options were Sergachev and Ehlers for example. We took a riskier option with Pettersson instead of the "safer" Glass. Not to say the risky option is always the best, but it's potential higher reward along with higher risk. In a draft, you're looking at who you think will be the best player with the longest career. Current positional needs aren't always important and you can trade from a position of strength if you have an abundance. I believe Benning very recently said that he will pick the BPA regardless of position.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Beniers skated like a fiend in the WJC's.

My take was he looked almost, but not ready to be a leader at that level. Did not quite score. Or capture opportunities he was creating? Just served notice...

I think its going to take a year. No crime?  It took man child Byfield till several games into his second WC till he seemed to find himself within the pace.   

The NHL more than just some baby steps above this.

Powers would be best to put off signing with buffalo for as long as possible, so he can actually become a good player in a non toxic environment. 

Kinda sad that the Sabres before this draftt have drafted in the following spots overall the last 10 years and were still by far the worst team in the league. 

2020: #8

2019: #7

2018: #1

2017: #8

2016: #8

2015: #2

2014: #2

2013: #8

2012: #12 + #14

2011: #16

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol, Edvinsson couldn't handle a depth role in the SHL this year. No chance he's in the NHL next year. Same for Lambos, he got into two Liiga games and averaged seven minutes.

Edvinsson's a bust, I guess :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edvinsson's a bust, I guess :ph34r:

The topic of discussion was NHL-ready next year. Not long-term potential. I have my opinions on the player, but what is objective fact is Edvinsson is raw. Tons of size and natural talent, but he has a lot to learn. First let him show he can earn regular ice time in the SHL, then we can talk about the NHL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If that's the case,and I think you are probably right then clearly the only move is to chose the absolute bpa regardless of position.   Our team will be totally different by then and the positional needs will change.  Or trade the pick for someone who fills a need right now.

• Like 1