The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

35 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

I 100% agree that Clarke could possibly be there for us at #9.

Since the year 2000, only twice have 4 D-men been selected in the top 10, 2012 and 2018 , both particularly strong defensive drafts, especially 2012. So at least the odds are in our favor. I think he is a great fit for us also, i put my money on us drafting him.

2008 as well. It is very rare to have a draft that is defensively top heavy. Most teams want to draft the high end offensive talent early so it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out after the lottery on the 2nd. All the mock drafts right now are a crap shoot. I think this will be one of the most interesting drafts to watch and also to look back on in 10 years once we know how all these players turn out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Couple of thoughts 

1. BPA who I see on Utube as compared what the scouts see over and over and getting to know the young players character . which I think changes a teams list within a closely grouped bunch of prospects . example . If a Kid shows No interest in wanting to come to your team do you draft him ? anybody remember Steve Francis and the Grizzlies [ that was extreme but I am sure it goes into factoring teams lists ] . I think teams take into consideration is he coachable or does he just have his way with the opposition [ make hay when on the ice against 16 year old's or the other teams lesser players ] I think that is the biggest reason for draftees who suddenly hit a brick wall when they reach pro levels .   

2. Drafting for position ... again if players are considered by a teams scouting staff to be close I am sure Position becomes one of the main factors . I do hope that is only when they think the players are near even . 

3. Because there are so many teams in the NHL now a third round pick is so much lower than years ago . the first pick is now around 65 so you might be looking at the 70th or 80th spot or lower. I would be trading any pick below the forth round to move up or for real assets as I believe the odds of getting that miracle 5, 6, 7 rounder are too great . but if you are using them please take Goalies and undersize players 

4. Not all first rounders are equal ... the team making an offer sheet that is close to winning a Stanley cup is Not giving up nearly as much as a team near the cellar making that same offer .... 4 thirtyish overall picks is Absolutely No where near 4 [ top 5 or top 10 picks ].

It does surprise me that  top teams don't use this way more often and not just on the best players. Not saying I like the offer sheet at all .  it is like one team has to give up close to 4 second rounders and the other would be giving up future superstars 

5. Every teams has Busts and Great picks just hope the busts are far and few . And the appropriate rated picks  develop and become good players

6. thanks for reading . After a Bad season i love this time of year trying to piece together what the next few years the Canucks could look like 

7. Love to See Powers , Hughes  , Clarke or any of the Centers picked by the Canucks this year if they get the chance 

Edited by Nurnge
just to be clear

Watch Clarke be available when we pick and Canucks fans get super excited.

Bettman walks up to the podium “We have a trade to announce”

Canuck nation collectively loses their s$&@ as he announces we’ve traded the pick for Sam Reinhart. :lol:

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Then why assume he can’t bring those same elements in the playoffs?

I doubt his puck pursuit and ability to drive play would suddenly change.

While I don’t necessarily agree with that Swedish line, I do agree that Hog is anything but soft. The guy battles every shift, doesn’t matter how big the opposing player is, you rarely see him lose puck battles. I doubt that would change in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Watch Clarke be available when we pick and Canucks fans get super excited.

Bettman walks up to the podium “We have a trade to announce”

Canuck nation collectively loses their s$&@ as he announces we’ve traded the pick for Sam Reinhart. :lol:

I would be happy about a Reinhart trade in most instances. But in that one, I'd be chapped. 

My top players at each position.

C's like actual ones guys who probably play C at the NHL level. 

Beniers

Mctavish

Sillinger

Svechkov

Raty

So many good C's Samoskovich, Lucius, Borgault, Salminen, Helenius etc.

Lw

Eklund

Johnson

Chibrikov

Rosen

Pastujov

honorable mentions Olausson, Othmann each of whom could easily be considered top 4 I have Rosen and Pastujov ahead due to their high end playmaking abilities which the Canucks woefully lack. 

RW

Lysell

Guenther

Tuomaala

Robertson

Samoskovich natural C but I think he would thrive on the wing with his abilities. Same can be said for Lucius for different reasons. 

LD

Hughes 

Edvinsson

Power

Lambos

Svozil

Chayka and Nause really deserve mention here though IMO either could easily be top 3 

RD

Clarke 

Ceulemans 

Heimosalmi 

Martin

Schmidt

I have Martin and Schmidt ahead here because of fit. We need someone to hold the fort. While Morrow, Bar, Johnson have great potential they are ticking more nice to have boxes than need boxes for me. Another team probably takes them before I would. 

I'm really excited for who's gonna be there for our 2nd and 3rd round picks there are some damn good players ranked 30-70.

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

My top players at each position.

C's like actual ones guys who probably play C at the NHL level. 

Beniers

Mctavish

Sillinger

Svechkov

Raty

So many good C's Samoskovich, Lucius, Borgault, Salminen, Helenius etc.

Lw

Eklund

Johnson

Chibrikov

Rosen

Pastujov

honorable mentions Olausson, Othmann each of whom could easily be considered top 4 I have Rosen and Pastujov ahead due to their high end playmaking abilities which the Canucks woefully lack. 

RW

Lysell

Guenther

Tuomaala

Robertson

Samoskovich natural C but I think he would thrive on the wing with his abilities. Same can be said for Lucius for different reasons. 

LD

Hughes 

Edvinsson

Power

Lambos

Svozil

Chayka and Nause really deserve mention here though IMO either could easily be top 3 

RD

Clarke 

Ceulemans 

Heimosalmi 

Martin

Schmidt

I have Martin and Schmidt ahead here because of fit. We need someone to hold the fort. While Morrow, Bar, Johnson have great potential they are ticking more nice to have boxes than need boxes for me. Another team probably takes them before I would. 

I'm really excited for who's gonna be there for our 2nd and 3rd round picks there are some damn good players ranked 30-70.

Stankoven.

15 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Stankoven.

In seriousness I love the way he plays I just think he's a real long shot to be able to pull it off in the NHL. Though I'm aware of the hipocracy with Rosen on my list I do feel that Rosen's game translates better. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is this that smaller guy from the U18 team, that kind played similar to Brendan Gallagher?  I liked that guy, but he might be a later round pick.  

Doubt it alf. Kid is going within two rounds

• Thanks 1

William Eklund is my guy.

Pure first impression post here but this player is freaking amazing at creating offence from  what I’ve seen in the highlight packages on YT.

shifty, smart, good skater, seems to be a great playmaker and plays with a very high gear. He seems like a ball of energy like Hoglander and Podz so fits the bill of what attributes a Canucks player should have. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but IMO, this is an extremely important draft for the Canuck, as is next years.

When you look at the age of our stars, and core, this years players will be hopefully graduating onto the team in 3 years

This is important, because it really signifies the beginning of our approach to the upper echelons of the NHL

So, it is important that this years players are home runs.

Again, in my humble opinion, the likes of Lind, Jasek, McEwen, DiPietro, Lockwood, and Woo are all expendable to some extent, as is our 2023 1st and 2nd

Those players and picks are easily replaceable later on down the road. IMO, they do not represent "CORE" pieces

So, with that declariation, I will say, that getting Clarke is pivotal, as is a another RHD, early in the 2nd round, and as Hammer has pointed out, there will be a few to choose from at the 41 OA pick as well. 

I am not sure how Benning would find out or how open the GM's are about their picks, but I would want Benning to find out where Clarke will be picked, then move ahead of that team.

What is the cost? I have not a clue, but our #9 + our 2023 1st, should move the needle for quite a few teams. In the middle of the first round a 2nd will move you approx. 4 spots.

I would imagine another 1st, would more you up further, especially, when the teams you are trading with are rebuilding, and would love to have that additional 1st, a couple of years later. (2 years to be exact).

So does any of our prospects move the needle? Does moving up by way of trading for Martin Jones (as suggested in another thread) do it?

Hope is a wonderful thing and everyone should have hope, but hope and a $1.50, gets you a Coke at the local convenience store. IMO, you have to make your own luck. And in the case of Clarke, he completes a problem we have had for a long time.

Yes, Benning has to be aggressive, it should start at the draft!

Edited by janisahockeynut

I've been watching some shift-by-shifts. Goddamn, Heimosalmi is something else. Does anybody remember where that list came from that was posted a couple months back that had Heimosalmi ranked 14th? That guy deserves some respect. I keep trying to look for reasons why Heimosalmi wouldn't be a top 15 or 20 pick and I just can't find any.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been watching some shift-by-shifts. Goddamn, Heimosalmi is something else. Does anybody remember where that list came from that was posted a couple months back that had Heimosalmi ranked 14th? That guy deserves some respect. I keep trying to look for reasons why Heimosalmi wouldn't be a top 15 or 20 pick and I just can't find any.

He looks very good,  didn't know anything about him before your mention... He only weighs 155 lbs right now ... Maybe that's why he's not getting the love?  Do you see him slipping into the second round?

Edited by Hogs & Podz

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

William Eklund is my guy.

Pure first impression post here but this player is freaking amazing at creating offence from  what I’ve seen in the highlight packages on YT.

shifty, smart, good skater, seems to be a great playmaker and plays with a very high gear. He seems like a ball of energy like Hoglander and Podz so fits the bill of what attributes a Canucks player should have. 

I'll be shocked if he makes it past the top 4. Goran Stubb and Central Scouting are notorious for shying away from smaller players (they had Lundell and Holtz over Raymond last year), and even they have Eklund ranked first in Europe. Power is the safest bet to go first overall for sure, but if a team with a heavy European scouting presence wins the lottery (Columbus, New Jersey, Detroit), I could honestly see Eklund going first overall. Especially if it's Kekalainen - that guy could not give a &^@# what traditional hockey logic thinks; and their director of amateur scouting is based out of Europe (not sure there are any other teams that is true of) and their director of European scouting is based out of Sweden.

I've said all year that Chibrikov, Johnson and Lysell are the most purely skilled players in the draft. Eklund is a bit of a step down from them in pure skill, but his hockey IQ is through the roof, and as you mentioned, intensity and compete look very high too.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'll be shocked if he makes it past the top 4. Goran Stubb and Central Scouting are notorious for shying away from smaller players (they had Lundell and Holtz over Raymond last year), and even they have Eklund ranked first in Europe. Power is the safest bet to go first overall for sure, but if a team with a heavy European scouting presence wins the lottery (Columbus, New Jersey, Detroit), I could honestly see Eklund going first overall. Especially if it's Kekalainen - that guy could not give a &^@# what traditional hockey logic thinks; and their director of amateur scouting is based out of Europe (not sure there are any other teams that is true of) and their director of European scouting is based out of Sweden.

I've said all year that Chibrikov, Johnson and Lysell are the most purely skilled players in the draft. Eklund is a bit of a step down from them in pure skill, but his hockey IQ is through the roof, and as you mentioned, intensity and compete look very high too.

Do you think Lysell would be a good pick at 9? Justifiable? Or would you consider it a reach?

11 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

He looks very good,  didn't know anything about him before your mention... He only weighs 155 lbs right now ... Maybe that's why he's not getting the love?  Do you see him slipping into the second round?

Look at him shatter this guy's ankle and you tell me.

Seriously though, tough to say. but I highly doubt it. He's still pretty low on most lists, but you know he'll be skyrocketing up the charts after he was named top defenseman at the U18s. The game seems to be moving towards smaller, skilled defenseman, and this guy fits the bill. He walks the offensive blueline better than anybody in the draft except maybe Luke Hughes. He defends incredibly well too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2