The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

9 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

In retrospect. I am a little disheartend that 4(mid value) ufas walked. The fact that JB got nothing for even Stetchers rights was a tad frustrating

I honestly don't think Stecher's rights had much value at all. Similar to Hutton except they probably cared more about keeping the option w/ Stech open. Asking him to wait for Barrie is a tough look. For the price Barrie commanded I don't think he was the answer in the top 4, & at the value Stecher got I would've preferred to just do that. (As long as it didn't prevent them from adding Schmidt)

Toffoli is the one I do have an issue with. In hindsight the gripe has come up about qualifying Virtanen & letting Toffoli go. For me the preference would've been to trade Virtanen for a draft pick/prospect as quickly as possible & sign Toffoli. If they didn't qualify Jake I don't think he would've been coming back as he had interest around the league - which would've been a very tough look. But I also think I've seen enough of Jake here and Toffoli wanted to come back, he was the right fit. So that would be my complaint so far in free agency. Obviously a defenseman had to be the #1 priority, but I think they should've tried harder to keep Toffoli. 

I love Tanev & Markstrom as Canucks but we simply couldn't afford to keep them, unfortunately. And my expectation going into FA was that we wouldn't be able to keep Tanev. Marky I was 50/50 on and he got himself a good contract - good for him. 

• Like 1

I like his spirit too. What do folks think about how he was suspended for 20 games for violating the NHL's performance-enhancing drug policy? 

My honest guess is that there's a lot more violations going on than are identified. I'd wager that Pavel Bure was sneaky enough to get away with it. Quite honestly for me, while I'd never do drugs, I don't really mind players on the Canucks trying to get any kind of edge. That view is probably shunned though!  

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah Bieksa was a top 2 dman right ?  All star games right ?  Maybe even a hall of famer..... right ?

Crack me up.... 

Bieksa did super well for a 5th round draft choice. He had amazing leadership skills and was a fantastic teamate....  800 games in the show for a 5th round is Fantastic....  Too bad he wasn't a better skater , it would have really helped his game.

Remember when he scored on that breakaway in 2011 vs the Sharks? Great times :goat:

All in all great trade and good value player at price point 

Hughes is a clear #1 Dman

Schmidt is a clear #2 Dman

Edler was a Clear #2 and now our #3 Dman this is a great trade for Edler relieves a lot of pressure off of him

Then there is Myers shows glimpses of being a solid #2 but most of the time looks like a #3 or #4 dman he is our currently most over paid Dman

Was this a great trade by Benning yes and no. Yes for doing it. No because Vegas had to do it. Yes because he got Vegas to do it with The Canucks a Division rival who almost beat them in the playoffs.

1 and a half thumbs up for Benning on this trade. 

Edited by Arrow 1983

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I like his spirit too. What do folks think about how he was suspended for 20 games for violating the NHL's performance-enhancing drug policy? 

My honest guess is that there's a lot more violations going on than are identified. I'd wager that Pavel Bure was sneaky enough to get away with it. Quite honestly for me, while I'd never do drugs, I don't really mind players on the Canucks trying to get any kind of edge. That view is probably shunned though!  

It was a recreational drug so it’s not like he was cheating the game. I’m sure there’s quite a few that have dabbled in it just like any other kid in their 20’s.
In Schmidt case tough to say maybe it was a one time thing and he really didn’t want to have that painted on him. I’m not 100% certain on the circumstances but I believe he denied it? It’s easy to point the finger and call someone out when one gets caught. Especially when others who may have done it more regularly not get caught. That’s a tough situation in any case. I feel for guys cause it can be easy to get caught upin Some try things and move on and others it becomes a problem.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Show me the metric that says a 30 point D man on one of the deepest teams in the league is a top pairing guy. Show me why you think he is a #2.

What if he gets 20 points with the Canucks?

Most teams have a #1 guy on the first PP unit who gets most of the points, and a #2 guy in the 30s. Schmidt would have been one of the higher scoring #2s if he didn’t miss 12 games last year.

There are only 3 teams in the league who had 2 D-men crack 40 points in the shortened season: San Jose, Florida, and NYR - (not) coincidentally 3 of the worst defensive teams in the league.

27 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It was a recreational drug so it’s not like he was cheating the game. I’m sure there’s quite a few that have dabbled in it just like any other kid in their 20’s.
In Schmidt case tough to say maybe it was a one time thing and he really didn’t want to have that painted on him. I’m not 100% certain on the circumstances but I believe he denied it? It’s easy to point the finger and call someone out when one gets caught. Especially when others who may have done it more regularly not get caught. That’s a tough situation in any case. I feel for guys cause it can be easy to get caught upin Some try things and move on and others it becomes a problem.

I don't think it's ever been disclosed what the substance was.

40 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Edler was a Clear #2 and now our #3 Dman this is a great trade for Edler relieves a lot of pressure off of him

Then there is Myers shows glimpses of being a solid #2 but most of the time looks like a #3 or #4 dman he is our currently most over paid Dman

Was this a great trade by Benning yes and no. Yes for doing it. No because Vegas had to do it. Yes because he got Vegas to do it with The Canucks a Division rival who almost beat them in the playoffs.

Did you get the tip of your thumb chopped off? "Yes for doing it. No because Vegas had to do it". Sounds like crap reasoning.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Myers maybe over paid but don’t forget how important and sorely missed was in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Myers maybe over paid but don’t forget how important and sorely missed was in the playoffs.  

I’ve said it before if he was making 5 mil a lot of people wouldn’t blink an eye. Others will just scrutinized anyway cause that’s just what they do 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Did you get the tip of your thumb chopped off? "Yes for doing it. No because Vegas had to do it". Sounds like crap reasoning.

Haha, but no

If this was any other year this trade would have never happen like this. people forget before covid, The Cap was going up as high as 88 million. That means more teams would have had more cap space and that would have given Vegas a chance so ask for more. So Vegas had to make this trade for so little and so Benning had more leverage. My guess is Vegas GM phones Benning says I got a Dman you might be interested in I hear your looking Benning says I can not trade big pieces to a rival Vegas GM says give me a third Benning says a third in 2022 Vegas says done we need this off the books. I know not exactly how it went done but my point is still made. It was some what gift wrapped.

I believe this is a product of the environment we are in however Vegas could have asked for less and not trade him to a rival and Benning got it done so I stick with what I said