The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim benning

Rate this topic

Jigisup

It is total speculation but did Tanev, Stecher and Toffoli all just say they wanted to stay and everyone knew that? I know they couldn't but that sounds a little bit like pay back.

And seriously I don't twitter or facebook hardly at all, maybe once or twice a week just to look, What does it mean when Tim and Sid said "fire Benning" is trending number 3? Out of what? All twitter or whatever? Is there a site or forum?

Edited by Lazurus

I think he's doing fine. Clearly missed on a couple players he was aiming for early on and offered Tanev 2 years at $4 million I heard, but Tanev wanted term (totally fair to him, he deserves it). Biggest error I think he's had so far is actually Stetcher at that price and it isn't the biggest of concerns at all really. Then he took advantage of a cap problem Vegas was having and got a really solid top 4 defensemen for a very low price. If I'm being picky I would like the guys contract to be a million less a year, but we gotta make due when a opportunity like that comes up.  

At the end of the day we have to manage our Cap for the next few years as all the older contracts expire and we move forward with our team. Good news is next season Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler and Benn are all coming off and that is around $20 million free I think. Then the following season Loui (finally), Beagle, Roussel, Holtby and Louongo are off so another like $19 mil. 

While that is excellent and tons of cash we will have to sign Pettersson, Hughes and Demko next year. Then following that Boeser will be up along with a few cheaper young guys. Not forgetting the fact while it's great all these old contracts will clear we need to fill those spots up too and that won't be cheap (just hopefully cheaper then it currently is). 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:45 PM, Jigisup said:

Jim Benning. What the F... are you doing. Our team is getting worse by the day! Do something sign someone for F... sakes.

Is this a troll job?  On the day after we acquire a top pairing d-man you make a new account to post this?  Interesting 

spacer.png

The biggest problem is after a pretty good playoffs, the Canucks still have Erikson and Sutter and Edler. They have some new players to try out but it may be difficult to recoup the magic without the Tanev, Stetcher, and Markestrum. One the other hand they are younger, bigger, and less injured. Green is still an enigma after doing pretty well in the playoffs, but I believe he was successful in the playoffs because he quit meddling and let the players play, except for Virtanen. So I think the team got Benning off the hook so to speak, by their excellent effort in the playoffs. So the team still has some problems to rid itself of  but hopefully it won't be like starting all over again. Not another 10 yrs till the playoffs. Seattle will probably end up with a team like Vegas so Canucks need to keep it going. I like the prospect of having 2 very capable Goalies, not one.

Welcome to CDC....

You've come to your next best option....

But HFBoards....is....over....---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Vintage 2

On 10/13/2020 at 7:49 PM, Bobby James said:

I think he's doing fine. Clearly missed on a couple players he was aiming for early on and offered Tanev 2 years at $4 million I heard, but Tanev wanted term (totally fair to him, he deserves it). Biggest error I think he's had so far is actually Stetcher at that price and it isn't the biggest of concerns at all really. Then he took advantage of a cap problem Vegas was having and got a really solid top 4 defensemen for a very low price. If I'm being picky I would like the guys contract to be a million less a year, but we gotta make due when a opportunity like that comes up.  

At the end of the day we have to manage our Cap for the next few years as all the older contracts expire and we move forward with our team. Good news is next season Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler and Benn are all coming off and that is around $20 million free I think. Then the following season Loui (finally), Beagle, Roussel, Holtby and Louongo are off so another like $19 mil. 

While that is excellent and tons of cash we will have to sign Pettersson, Hughes and Demko next year. Then following that Boeser will be up along with a few cheaper young guys. Not forgetting the fact while it's great all these old contracts will clear we need to fill those spots up too and that won't be cheap (just hopefully cheaper then it currently is). 

To be honest, JB talked tougher than he could act this off season.  

He gambled on Toffoli and would have gotten away clean with him had the cap gone up.  

But that ship has sailed and Jake will be way cheaper, with 20 plus goal production.  

I don't know how to supplant him, short of trading him away for some ones else's unfinished project player.  

Clear whatever cap to get JV, Adam and one more minimum salary d man.  

It isn't prefect but with the natural growth of our young stars, a healthy Brock from camp onwards with a much improved top d pairing with decent to very good goal tending, we should be able to reach the playoffs again.  

The best course is the least exciting, weather the season and wait for players to develop until the cap pain is gone.  

The big issue is next year, for the team to be best positioned to sign Hughes and Petey and not stagnate is to keep developing our prospects.  

Getting solid NHL minutes out of OJ, Chatfield and Rafferty etc are tops on my list of key priorities, as is getting Rathbone a ton of minutes in the AHL.

Having Lind, Podz and Hogs turn into solid middle six to top six guys is key to keeping the cap manageable.  

So beyond fleshing out the existing roster as economical as possible, get some centers to Utica. 

On 10/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, Puckster said:

Why does everyone mention Meyers as a bad contract?

I very much liked his tenacity in the Play Offs. Ref's blew a few too many on him , meh I dislike the Zebra's.

When the Ref's need to make up a call..... look no further than the big breathing on someone!!

Well said.

Myers was pretty much the #1 Ufa dman available that year... Has a calder on his resume... And vancouver fans still find a way to complain about his terrific 5x6 contact than Jim gave him. 

Its a shame and frustrating how negative and pessimistic our fan base is 

• Vintage 3

On 10/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, The Game said:

The last thing Benning should do is go out and sign a bunch of guys. Eriksson, Beagle, Rousell, Myers and Sutter are costing us now. We don’t need any more horrible deals. 

He absolutely shouldn't be. But it stings having to lose Toffoli when he could have been signed for basically Ferland money had we not blown $9.5 mil last year. Toffoli is not a horrible deal. But past horrible deals have handicapped our ability to sign good deals today.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Getting solid NHL minutes out of OJ, Chatfield and Rafferty etc are tops on my list of key priorities, as is getting Rathbone a ton of minutes in the AHL.

Having Lind, Podz and Hogs turn into solid middle six to top six guys is key to keeping the cap manageable. 

Yeah I agree. 

I think we can manage our cap going forward with no big signings during this UFA period, but the key thing will be our young guys from Utica stepping up and starting to fill in our bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 D roles. 

Some old contracts haunting JB for sure. But to cut him a break were we expected to be at this point say three years ago? Can't tell me anyone saw us drafting a stud number one center and stud puck moving dman in the coming years. A step back this year perhaps, but will get easier cap wise soon enough. LE will get three of his final five million due at the end of next season. Maybe then the turd flushes himself. 

• Cheers 1