The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Virtanen's arbitration hearings give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Benning will have a 2nd chance to buyout Sutter   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are perfectly cap compliant for this season so I don't see why we need to buyout Sutter... Unless the plan is to trade at another below par value like Schmidt or sign a UFA to a short term bargain deal, for example Killorn from TB.

Edit: I'm assuming Ferland goes to LTIR. If not, then yea, we don't actually have much space to sign both AG + Virtanen.

Edited by khay

Petey

Bo

Sutter

Beagle

this is a good line up at Center for this year.

personally (and I’m sure I’ll get roasted for this) I’d use Gaudette to try and move Rooster this year. Free up some Cap and sign Leivo to play second or third line LW with Pearson taking the other spot. If Hogz looks ready at Training camp maybe even move Pearson for a prospect at Center for the pipeline. Just my thoughts...

I voted yes but it’s only if we’re desperate for the cap space to add a bigger piece.  I don’t see him back when his contract ends and I just plain old don’t see us selling at the deadline so if it improves the team - pull the trigger.

I’m fine with Sutter for another year (and really, he is still decent when healthy) otherwise.  A lot like Tanev, it’s more his health that I question than his play.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

We are perfectly cap compliant for this season so I don't see why we need to buyout Sutter... Unless the plan is to trade at another below par value like Schmidt or sign a UFA to a short term bargain deal, for example Killorn from TB.

Edit: I'm assuming Ferland goes to LTIR. If not, then yea, we don't actually have much space to sign both AG + Virtanen.

Ferland intends to play - Canucks can't put him preemptively on LTIR if he wants to play.   He can ask for a 2nd medical opinion.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Most players sign before the hearing

I think Jake will take less than McCann, 1- to stay at home, 2- Centres have more value

But do you think it is a possibility Jake says to Benning, If I am going to sign for 1-2 years cheaper than i could get, there has to be some value in it for me to sign before arbitration then, i want some kind of assurance that you are not going to flip me in a trade and now i am playing wherever for less money than what arbitration might have given me

I would do it. $2 million in this depressed wages UFA class is worth more than $1 mill next year. Plus Baerschi and his $3 mil falls off our books next year too.

Think of this as getting an advance from next year.

Edited by DSVII

On 10/17/2020 at 6:06 PM, DSVII said:

I would do it. $2 million in this depressed wages UFA class is worth more than $1 mill next year. Plus Baerschi and his $3 mil falls off our books next year too.

Think of this as getting an advance from next year.

An advance when you know with certainty you will need the money even more next year then you do now.    As it stands if we need a buyout it makes sense for it to be as small as possible, might as well be Bear.   Or instead trade Pearson and actually post Bear instead of prolonging the pain. The more flush we are the better, especially if LE is buried and decides to hang them up.   Patience in this market has already proven we can get some great gains - just hope JB and the fan base for that matter too, has the patience to wait a year or two, find out what we have in some of these “7 NHLers” and work on plugging holes later. 

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

An advance when you know with certainty you will need the money even more next year then you do now.    As it stands if we need a buyout it makes sense for it to be as small as possible, might as well be Bear.   Or instead trade Pearson and actually post Bear instead of prolonging the pain. The more flush we are the better, especially if LE is buried and decides to hang them up.   Patience in this market has already proven we can get some great gains - just hope JB and the fan base for that matter too, has the patience to wait a year or two, find out what we have in some of these “7 NHLers” and work on plugging holes later. 

Bears contract is under 4M so it can't be bought out in the second window. 

Unless if we're absolutely not going to be cap compliant (and keep in mind we have a contract like Ferland potentially on the LTIR), I don't see the point in buying out Sutter.

Let's just say that when you have staff whose jobs are to make everything cap compliant, I'm pretty sure they'd know what they were doing if we didn't buyout Sutter. ;)