The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

the Hockey News NHLs top 50

Rate this topic

IBatch

Also think that a decade later both Crosby and Ovi are so awesome.  Ovi is getting a lot of Howe comparisons given his durability and not slowing down one bit so far, and Crosby is making a case for himself to be one of the few players to end up on the Mt Rushmore of guys like Howe, Orr, Gretzky and Mario. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hi folks.   Thought it might be fun to discuss where CDCers think the current top 50 best players in the league.  For the first time in a decade or so the Canucks had three players make top 50 in The Hockey News annual top 50 before the start of the season...that’s incredible.  EP at 8...QHs at 45 and Horvat at 47. 

Their top 50 went like this:

1.  Mackinnon

2. McDavid

3. Crosby 

4. Panarin 

5. Pastrnak 

6. Draisatl

7. Hedman

8. EP

9. Point

10. Kucherov

11. Marchand

12. Mathews

13. Eichel

14. Kane

15. Ovi

16. Hellebuyck

17. Vasilevsky

18. Malkin

19. Josi

20. Barkov

21. Seth Jones

22. O’Reilly

23. Carlson

24. Pietrangelo

25. Scheifele

26. Aho

27. Marner

28. Heiskanen 

29. Stone

30. Barzal

31. Bergeron

32. Werenski

33. Rantanen

34. Huberdeau

35. Price

36. Couturier 

37. Rask

38. P Luc-Dubois

39. Tavares

40. Lehner

41. Slavin

42. Connor

43. Theodore 

44. Makar

45. Q Hughes

46. Laine

47.  Horvat

48. Zibanejad 

49. M Tkachuk

50.  C Hutton

Of this group a few notable guys missed out as in JT Miller, Markstrom from Van but must have been close.   But playoffs, pedigrees, health and future expectations all come into play and who gets bumped out?  Zibanejad and M Tkachuk near the end makes it awfully hard to argue who is more deserving.  

Also noted that Vegas, WNP and TB has the most guys on this list...TB’s are much much higher though.   

What do you think?  Any big misses?  Anyone way too high?   I put more stock into THN’s rankings for the most part given who does it, then a lot of other’s that do it (Bleecher, the Hockey Writers, SN and NHL.com)...

NHL.com had EP ranked as 16 best centre ... and Horvat didn’t make the cut at all. 

lol typically BS list, where is  Petey

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

8 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol typically BS list, where is  Petey

lol what does that even  mean? ... you don’t feel Petey is high enough?  Just give him time ha ha. 

Already has more playoff points then quite a few of the “new and improved” Laughs. 

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Petey got a bump in this list due to finding his playoff game, for sure. That might have ben my favourite part of the run, watching Petey find mad Petey. 

Totally, I think based on only the regular season it would be hard to put EP ahead of Matthews and Eichel juuuust yet. After this next year I don't find it difficult to believe. Same with Kucherov and Marchand who have both hit 100 points. If Petey's playoff performance definitely bumps him up a couple spots then I'd say Kucherov's cup win probably does the same for him lol.

Overall this is a pretty good list. Aho is a bit low and Couturier is a bit high.

• Cheers 2

Honestly I think Pettersson is a little too high. I don't think he's quite a top 10 player in the league yet, close but not quite there. However, after this year I can see him cracking that group.

Really glad to see Makar and Hughes right next to each other as I think they are incredibly comparable at this point in time and some lists were saying otherwise. Add in Theodore being next to them and that's one heck of a young d group to watch going forward. 

Edited by Diamonds
Sentence clarity
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Totally, I think based on only the regular season it would be hard to put EP ahead of Matthews and Eichel juuuust yet. After this next year I don't find it difficult to believe. Same with Kucherov and Marchand who have both hit 100 points. If Petey's playoff performance definitely bumps him up a couple spots then I'd say Kucherov's cup win probably does the same for him lol.

Overall this is a pretty good list. Aho is a bit low and Couturier is a bit high.

these lists are always super subjective. If I'm being honest, I don't know that I would have ranked Petey above Kucherov quite yet. Somewhere in the top 15 tho. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

these lists are always super subjective. If I'm being honest, I don't know that I would have ranked Petey above Kucherov quite yet. Somewhere in the top 15 tho. 

Yeah I think swapping Petey and Kuch would have done it. Much better than the NHL.com list as someone already mentioned anyways.

• Cheers 1

I've been a big fan of Horvat, and probably one of the few who's always thought he's capable of 70 points along with a strong 2 way game. Great to see him on the list, but no way would I put him ahead of Zibanejad right now.

EP at 8th is very high at this stage of his career. I hope they're right.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 2