The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Do you guys think the B.C. government is taking the proper precautions? Not trying to talk Ill of them just genuinely curious about the majority of people’s opinions.

Ive been sick with a cold for about a week now, today I started having chest pain and esophagus pain and shortness of breath so I decided to give 811 a call just to be safe. 

They asked me a series of questions mostly consisting of if I’ve traveled anywhere in the last 14 days or if I’ve been exposed to someone who has been travelling. My gf has been working with people who came from Germany France the UK and America this past week so that’s the only exposure I have. They told me to monitor my symptoms and wash my hands and call back if anything gets worse. They’ll only test you if you’ve travelled or been exposed to someone who’s travelled. I guess all we can do is hope that’s enough to contain. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

The projections being quoted by health professionals are based upon proven models. They are projections, so it may not end up being that bad, we have to wait and see.

From this:

So if the congressional in-house doctor is right, and the death rate is 1%, then fatalities will be between 700K and 1.5 million in the US. In Canada someone from the Health Department said on the news yesterday that she thought between 30% & 70% of Canadians would get the virus, so 10-20M, and 1% would be 100-200k fatalities. I don't think it will get that bad but this is what we are trying to prevent by shutting down just about everything, which seems to be happening now.

Harvard expert says 70% of the world could get the virus.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/485602-virus-expert-as-much-as-70-percent-of-worlds

If all the experts are saying that, what makes you believe it's not going to be that bad?

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Do you guys think the B.C. government is taking the proper precautions? Not trying to talk Ill of them just genuinely curious about the majority of people’s opinions.

Ive been sick with a cold for about a week now, today I started having chest pain and esophagus pain and shortness of breath so I decided to give 811 a call just to be safe. 

They asked me a series of questions mostly consisting of if I’ve traveled anywhere in the last 14 days or if I’ve been exposed to someone who has been travelling. My gf has been working with people who came from Germany France the UK and America this past week so that’s the only exposure I have. They told me to monitor my symptoms and wash my hands and call back if anything gets worse. They’ll only test you if you’ve travelled or been exposed to someone who’s travelled. I guess all we can do is hope that’s enough to contain. 

Not

Even

Close

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Because doctors and health officials have been comparing it with the flu. That has been their starting reference point.  How is exactly is it dangerous to think that way?   The precautionary measures hand washing and don't touch your face and so forth are the same ones with the flu.   

No they have stated it has similar symptoms to the flu, which is what makes it such a difficult virus. But it’s in the SARS family of viruses not the influenza family. Scientifically it is not the flu. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

If all the experts are saying that, what makes you believe it's not going to be that bad?

I'm hoping that it's not going to be that bad. I'm hoping that the summer will give us a break and maybe we'll get lucky with a vaccine. It's mostly wishful thinking.

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

Mentioned this earlier in the thread...

Not 100% on this, but i'd assume that in reality there are a lot of unreported cases due to mild symptoms for some, therefore bringing down the percentage??? 

•  

Yeah for sure, that plus misreported numbers from nations with lower testing standards at the time.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I had an uncle who was a high school teacher, and an aunt in elementary. They were always doing something before and after school hours. Those summers are pretty sweet tho you have to admit B)

Except I'm also a commercial beekeeper, and cannabis farmer so I probably work more in the summer.......but I do control my own hours

Just now, aGENT said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761123acf9b4678c0b8b43

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well at least they FIINALLY made a travel advisory (would still prefer a ban).

Countries may gain time in the short-term as they limit travel to fight the new coronavirus pandemic, but the World Health Organization thinks overall that “it doesn't help to restrict movement," a top adviser to the U.N. health agency's chief said Thursday. Dr Bruce Aylward, who led a WHO team in China during the raging COVID-19 outbreak there last month, said in an interview that travel bans “generally aren't part of the armamentarium you bring to bear on something like this.”"What we found, as a general principle - not a general principle, a pretty robust principle - is that it doesn't help to to restrict movement,” Aylward, a former WHO emergencies chief, said outside a room at agency headquarters devoted to the outbreak. “What you're really interested in is: Where is the virus? The viruses in the cases, the viruses in their close contacts.”

You prefer a ban in the face of actual facts.  

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

Countries may gain time in the short-term as they limit travel to fight the new coronavirus pandemic, but the World Health Organization thinks overall that “it doesn't help to restrict movement," a top adviser to the U.N. health agency's chief said Thursday. Dr Bruce Aylward, who led a WHO team in China during the raging COVID-19 outbreak there last month, said in an interview that travel bans “generally aren't part of the armamentarium you bring to bear on something like this.”"What we found, as a general principle - not a general principle, a pretty robust principle - is that it doesn't help to to restrict movement,” Aylward, a former WHO emergencies chief, said outside a room at agency headquarters devoted to the outbreak. “What you're really interested in is: Where is the virus? The viruses in the cases, the viruses in their close contacts.”

You prefer a ban in the face of actual facts.  

Tell the Italians that

• Cheers 2