The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Yeah I’m not really concerned with myself at this point as I think it’s slim chance I have it and if I did I could fight it off. Mostly concerned that even if the odds are slim it is still possible to contract it at this point and I’d rather not spread it to anyone. I’m thinking self isolation for a few days and monitor my symptoms is the best course of action. I’ve got some video games to beat anyway 

Sounds like we are in the same boat.... am I the only one surprised the tests can't be self administered at home? Its just a swab and I can't see a better use for the $$ the govt is allocating to fight this. Keep people at home, not commuting to their doctor... 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Cerridwen said:

DO NOT GO TO YOUR DOCTOR'S OFFICE  Call The BC Nurse line and give them all your info and they will advise you what to do next.. You may have just a cold...but if you don't and you go into the doc's office, Congratulations, you've just exposed everyone there to your possible C-19 infection. And some of those may not have the ability to fight it off. Make the call FIRST.

That line is down. Has been for hours.

Absolutely best advice is to NOT GO TO THE DOCTORS OFFICE.

Keep trying 811 until you speak with someone there.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

DO NOT GO TO YOUR DOCTOR'S OFFICE  Call The BC Nurse line and give them all your info and they will advise you what to do next.. You may have just a cold...but if you don't and you go into the doc's office, Congratulations, you've just exposed everyone there to your possible C-19 infection. And some of those may not have the ability to fight it off. Make the call FIRST.

I should've been more clear that I never was planning to go. I am younger so not too worried about myself. And I definitely don't have a cold... have had a high fever for 3 straight days. It would just be nice to know whether I have it or so I can decide whether to go to work or not during the next two weeks... I know if I call they will tell me to keep monitoring my symptoms because I have not traveled recently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

The number is 8-1-1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I should've been more clear that I never was planning to go. I am younger so not too worried about myself. And I definitely don't have a cold... have had a high fever for 3 straight days. It would just be nice to know whether I have it or so I can decide whether to go to work or not during the next two weeks... I know if I call they will tell me to keep monitoring my symptoms because I have not traveled recently. 

My advice would be to file for the express employment insurance while still trying to get through to 811. Explain to your employer and EI that you're self-isolating for the safety of your co-workers because of these symptoms.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

I hope you're feeling better soon! You just don't want to possibly pass this on to anyone else, though, so staying home from work is really a good idea. I hear ya on the wanting to know whether you have it or not...unfortunately, at this point in time, they are not equipped to test everyone who has symptoms on the fairly 'minor' end of the spectrum.. I say 'minor' but when you're sick, I know that it does not feel 'minor. at all. :)

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly think it's actually been here for awhile.  In late January I got a respiratory virus like I'd never had before (I work in the education system so if it's out there I'm exposed to it) and I was down and out for a solid week.  Also, one of my best friend's hot a virus in early february that turned into pneumonia and he was coma induced and put on a ventilator and life support.  They were unable to identify the virus and his family was called in to say goodbye......luckily they found a treatment and he came back after three weeks in a coma.  He just got out of the hospital last week with severe damage to his lungs and heart

Geez. Scary stuff.

I'm glad your buddy was able to pull through.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly think it's actually been here for awhile.  In late January I got a respiratory virus like I'd never had before (I work in the education system so if it's out there I'm exposed to it) and I was down and out for a solid week.  Also, one of my best friend's hot a virus in early february that turned into pneumonia and he was coma induced and put on a ventilator and life support.  They were unable to identify the virus and his family was called in to say goodbye......luckily they found a treatment and he came back after three weeks in a coma.  He just got out of the hospital last week with severe damage to his lungs and heart

just be there for your buddy, it takes a lot to come back, and feel kind of healthy again, same happened to me 

• Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

While I agree in theory, in practice it is almost impossible.

I have tons of sick leave so I could do it.  I would not lose pay.

Unfortunately, there are tons of people who get no sick leave and they are paying high rent and mortgages in BC. They simply will not stay home for two weeks because they cannot afford to. They either stay home to get healthy and lose their apartment (or not feed their families) or they go to work knowing they may be sick.

The only way to mitigate this would be for the Feds to pay those workers.  The Feds don't have the billions it would take without taxing us even more.

Crappy situation for sure.

Edit: that is why I disagree it is selfish. It is much more complicated than that.

in japan people are getting paid

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Geez. Scary stuff.

I'm glad your buddy was able to pull through.

We thought he was gone.......his friends and family were told he wouldn't make it through the night.  He's 46

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

That line is down. Has been for hours.

Absolutely best advice is to NOT GO TO THE DOCTORS OFFICE.

Keep trying 811 until you speak with someone there.

Sadly it’s not a whole lot of help, I checked 4/5 Covid-19 symptoms they asked about including chest pain and shortness of breath and made them aware that I haven’t had direct exposure to people travelling in the past 14 days but my girlfriend has and is currently working with people from over seas. Because I didn’t have direct contact with those people and I myself haven’t been travelling they won’t preform a test. As of right now community spread is not a concern to them and international exposure is the only concern for the time being. 

If my symptoms get worse I’m worried I’ll be forced to go to the hospital. 

Edit: Let me be clear I’m not trying to advocate or discourage people from calling just sharing my experience. 

Edited by Petey40