The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, gurn said:

http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/stories/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus

Confirmed COVID-19 cases 

Case counts are based on available information and are subject to change.  

British Columbia

• 348 confirmed cases as of 3PM March 20, 2020. 
    • Six recovered in BC
    • Nine deaths in BC
    • Cases by region:
      • 95 in Fraser Health
      • 19 in Interior Health
      • 30 in Island Health
      • 4 in Northern Health
      • 200 in Vancouver Coastal Health
  • 17,912 tests complete as of March 20, 2020. 

30 in Island health

does that include Victoria?

or is Victoria VIHA

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was shocked by the amount of people I saw today downtown when I went out briefly. Also, a friend texted me that he saw a packed patio and a cafe with a long take out lineup despite the orders and announcements. 

I've been watching the Health updates each day and I think the officials are sending the wrong message, or mixed messsge, by telling people to get outside yet to stay home. When everyone wants to hit the beach and walk the seawall or park, you suddenly have concert like gatherings. 

That's not the type of direction people need right now. It's not assertive enough at all. A caller raised this very issue, about more blunt, singular messaging and it was blown off as not needed yet. 

The weather is playing a huge role in this, too. I'm willing to bet the seawall will be packed tomorrow. 

I find it really, really crazy that Raincouver is suddenly experiencing unlimited sunshine when it rains so much here. If there was ever a time to have 30 straight days of rain to keep people inside, it's now. 

The City of Vancouver today ordered all restaurants closed as of 12:01 am except for takeout.

The confusion arose because earlier this week the BC Health Officer said restaurants can open if limited to 50 people and do social distancing.  So how do you define 50 people and distancing?  50 at a time or 50 in one day?   The regulation  was very vague and confusing,  

36 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was shocked by the amount of people I saw today downtown when I went out briefly. Also, a friend texted me that he saw a packed patio and a cafe with a long take out lineup despite the orders and announcements. 

I've been watching the Health updates each day and I think the officials are sending the wrong message, or mixed messsge, by telling people to get outside yet to stay home. When everyone wants to hit the beach and walk the seawall or park, you suddenly have concert like gatherings. 

That's not the type of direction people need right now. It's not assertive enough at all. A caller raised this very issue, about more blunt, singular messaging and it was blown off as not needed yet. 

The weather is playing a huge role in this, too. I'm willing to bet the seawall will be packed tomorrow. 

I find it really, really crazy that Raincouver is suddenly experiencing unlimited sunshine when it rains so much here. If there was ever a time to have 30 straight days of rain to keep people inside, it's now. 

yeah - people need to get out, walk, exercise, etc - but unfortunately in areas with high population concentration it's another challenge/problem.  Perhaps some folks there need to drive to more remote areas.  or do those online (.... there's a lot of really attractive.... exercise videos)

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Violator said:

Couple people on my Facebook are down in mexico.few others are just finding out about whats going on in the last week.

how could you just be aware of things in the last week? must have been a hell of a bender. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

yeah - people need to get out, walk, exercise, etc - but unfortunately in areas with high population concentration it's another challenge/problem.  Perhaps some folks there need to drive to more remote areas.  or do those online (.... there's a lot of really attractive.... exercise videos)

wife and i took a nice long walk today, but we took side streets, saw almost no one. Its not hard to do. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, DonLever said:

The City of Vancouver today ordered all restaurants closed as of 12:01 am except for takeout.

The confusion arose because earlier this week the BC Health Officer said restaurants can open if limited to 50 people and do social distancing.  So how do you define 50 people and distancing?  50 at a time or 50 in one day?   The regulation  was very vague and confusing,  

So a restaurant that can hold 250 can only have 50 but a restaurant that holds 50 is business as usual then?

So if you had two entrances you could cut the place in half then?

Edited by Violator

10 minutes ago, DonLever said:

I just think we need less confusion and more singular messaging. After today's press conference, it looks like it's headed toward more of a lockdown but gradually in steps. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Violator said:

In an area of mexico with no internet apparently

huh. Its probably a paradise, might be best just to stay now. 

I don't mind people taking chances etc. with travel, but expecting the government to come bail your ass out is a lot to expect, particularly if you didn't register with Foreign Affairs before leaving. No one is tracked, if something happens to you its very hard for some office worker in Ottawa to find you. 

• Thanks 1

I live in a tourist area in BC with a lot of vacation homes. Two cases were reported in the area today and yet there is still many from Alberta pouring in this weekend when both provinces are saying "STAY AT HOME". The natives are restless. Beware.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh. Its probably a paradise, might be best just to stay now. 

I don't mind people taking chances etc. with travel, but expecting the government to come bail your ass out is a lot to expect, particularly if you didn't register with Foreign Affairs before leaving. No one is tracked, if something happens to you its very hard for some office worker in Ottawa to find you. 

Im just curious how much this is gonna cost us in the long run all of these flights and extra help because people dont wanna stop travel plans.

Cause of all this my wedding this year might not happen so im not out much yet aswell as my honeymoon might not happen.

People coming from across the country are gonna be out money.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Downtown here, when everyone wants to walk or get some exercise, they don't realize that others are thinking the exact same thing.

The seawall, the park, or English Bay are the usual "go tos". People really need to put some thought into their exercise and not do what everyone else is doing.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how could you just be aware of things in the last week? must have been a hell of a bender. 

I know when I'm down there I pay very little attention to anything lol - with the exception of the odd effort to read the trade deadline news, etc.

Where I go there are/have been virtually no cases  (and part of what helps that might be consistent temperatures in the range this virus cannot survive - and around the globe it seems to be taking less root in equatorial areas.....but nevertheless, it would be near impossible not to notice the changes caused by Corona in Mexico because at the same time, regardless, the Mexican people are taking precautions - by all reports there is very little foot traffic in areas that have literally thousands of families out every night out for walks on the oceanfront.

I found it ironic though - warnings to self-isolate if you've travelled in Mexico....the minute people step onto and off the plane here they are at greater risk than than they had been....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Downtown here, when everyone wants to walk or get some exercise, they don't realize that others are thinking the exact same thing.

The seawall, the park, or English Bay are the usual "go tos". People really need to put some thought into their exercise and not do what everyone else is doing.

I'm not sure where the people live in Dallas for example but the last time I was there NOBODY (or pretty much nobody) lived downtown.  Everything was shutdown at dusk.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wife and i took a nice long walk today, but we took side streets, saw almost no one. Its not hard to do. 

The problem is, most don't do that. They think, hey, let's walk the park or seawall ... not realizing there are 1000 other people now at home thinking the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm not sure where the people live in Dallas for example but the last time I was there NOBODY (or pretty much nobody) lived downtown.  Everything was shutdown at dusk.

Vancouver downtown is different ... you have the densely populated West End right next to the business district, also Coal Harbour, Yaletown, Olympic Village, Gastown, a lot of people downtown. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Cities in Canada like Vancouver  and Toronto have a lot of people living downtown unlike many cities in the US where downtowns become ghost towns in the evening.  I guess people in those US cities live in the  suburbs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1