The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

22 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Even if the average college person won't die, it still means they'll most likely spread it.

Oh well. What has anyone between 60-85 ever done that’s good anyways? They lived in the most prosperous and promising times and P***ed it away for all future generations...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Oh well. What has anyone between 60-85 ever done that’s good anyways? They lived in the most prosperous and promising times and P***ed it away for all future generations...

He used sarcasm.....

An interesting thought along this line. The average retired person retires at about 60 after 40 or years of work after high school. Myself, I am still working at 72, but that's another story.  So after a life time of work, raising children, curtailing their own wants in favour of the family's needs, they now have a chance to actually enjoy life, do some travelling (Pre-COVID times), do more around the house, help out the grandchildren, pick up a new hobby, etc. 

Point out to some of these "Boomer Bashers", that maybe they deserve their retirement years.  I'm in no way referring to any of you guys, it's just a different way to look at the "retiree".  10Q

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

:lol: college heights and DP Todd were even worse.

I wonder if anyone else actually remembers the old PG College. I played basketball there once in Jr High.

Back then, the "College Heights" subdivision didn't really exist. It pretty much ended right around where the exit ramp to Wal-Mart is now....

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wonder if anyone else actually remembers the old PG College. I played basketball there once in Jr High.

Back then, the "College Heights" subdivision didn't really exist. It pretty much ended right around where the exit ramp to Wal-Mart is now....

Lol I’d be lying if I said that was in my time period. Although I do recall heading out west that way and Walmart not being there.

14 minutes ago, wloutet said:

He used sarcasm.....

An interesting thought along this line. The average retired person retires at about 60 after 40 or years of work after high school. Myself, I am still working at 72, but that's another story.  So after a life time of work, raising children, curtailing their own wants in favour of the family's needs, they now have a chance to actually enjoy life, do some travelling (Pre-COVID times), do more around the house, help out the grandchildren, pick up a new hobby, etc. 

Point out to some of these "Boomer Bashers", that maybe they deserve their retirement years.  I'm in no way referring to any of you guys, it's just a different way to look at the "retiree".  10Q

It’s a sad state of affairs if you think about it. You sacrifice watching your own children growing up and your prime years just to have a few years when your body is breaking down and memory is starting to slip. It should work the other way.... you should work 2 days/week and get 5 off while raising children :) 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

are you for real. or is this some kind of joke in very bad taste!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol I’d be lying if I said that was in my time period. Although I do recall heading out west that way and Walmart not being there.

There also used to be an outdoor rink there. I actually played a few league games there, before the Kin Centre and the rink out on the Hart were built.

The old Colosseum was the only game in town back then and sometimes you had to make do.....

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

There also used to be an outdoor rink there. I actually played a few league games there, before the Kin Centre and the rink out on the Hart were built.

The old Colosseum was the only game in town back then and sometimes you had to make do.....

Lol played a small sample size there. Only was ever in 1 game vs the Spruce Kings there. But my uncle has some Stories about that place and not being sure if they’d make it out alive.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I do, played soccer there as a kid at the field in front of the school.  I believe it had a dorm for the native students before they pulled out.   I had a few friends that went there.  Because of zoning I went to Peden Hill that was the outskirts for a while too - we used to motorbike, ski doo all around that area right up to Ginter's and then back to Starlane and Charella gardens.    10 year old kids riding motorbikes with no parental supervision.  Shooting guns as well. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, bree2 said:

overreacting? I have spent over 2 months in my home without seeing my kids and grandkids, I haven't even been to a store. I have a bad immune system like a lot of people. nobody is  overreacting!!! some are like you thinking this is a joke  and  most don't want to DIE.  

i never said it was a joke, if people choose to fully self isolate that is their choice. I don't go running around and socializing with various people. I do my shopping at non busy times. I have gone to see my parents, that is the extent of the visiting. Since it is spring and been warm and mild here it has been easy to do that and socialize outside at a distance. There are no hugs or close contact, I do have a brain and realize this is a rare deadly virus but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying going outside, doing yard work, getting groceries, going for walks etc.

I have adjusted my life but I am not going to sit inside for months on end, especially now with 15 or so cases across the ENTIRE province. 1 new case in the interior in what 3 or 4 days. So I personally believe it is quite safe to venture out but not back to pre covid.

I will be going back to work where I have to drive all over the region entering pubs, restaurants etc...not overly thrilled with that idea but a proper pay cheque would be nice. The company better have sanitizer and gloves at bare minimum for us otherwise I don't feel like it would be all that safe to go back.

• Cheers 1

In between talking to you guys, I'm writing a course on the History of Math. So I'm reading Buckminster Fuller's Book "Synergetics" from 1975 and I have to show you this quote: "Although the polio virus is quite different from the common cold virus, and both are different from other viruses, all of them employ frequency to the second power times 10 plus 2 in producing those most powerful structural enclosures of all the biological regeneration of life. It is the structural power of these geodesic-sphere shells that makes so lethal those viruses unfriendly to man. They are almost indestructible." Now I'm not sure how that works with COVUD-19, but it was neat to see it in a math book from 1975.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

i never said it was a joke, if people choose to fully self isolate that is their choice. I don't go running around and socializing with various people. I do my shopping at non busy times. I have gone to see my parents, that is the extent of the visiting. Since it is spring and been warm and mild here it has been easy to do that and socialize outside at a distance. There are no hugs or close contact, I do have a brain and realize this is a rare deadly virus but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying going outside, doing yard work, getting groceries, going for walks etc.

I have adjusted my life but I am not going to sit inside for months on end, especially now with 15 or so cases across the ENTIRE province. 1 new case in the interior in what 3 or 4 days. So I personally believe it is quite safe to venture out but not back to pre covid.

I will be going back to work where I have to drive all over the region entering pubs, restaurants etc...not overly thrilled with that idea but a proper pay cheque would be nice. The company better have sanitizer and gloves at bare minimum for us otherwise I don't feel like it would be all that safe to go back.

That's a bit different tone though that your first "dig" at people still following the guidelines (which is what we're doing).

Thing is, MOST have adjusted their lives and are easing into life outside our four walls with proper social distancing and sanitization in place.  But understand that those "choosing" to self isolate for months on end aren't doing it because they're a joke...they're actually often being selfless.  Some have vulnerabilities and it's about respecting that, as some of us DO have to protect at a higher level because loved ones have compromised health.

15 or so cases is with the measures in place....watch those numbers likely go up over the next while as people do resume "normal" daily activities.  

I think it's the way people are ridiculing those who are still being cautious that's the issue here.  Showing a lack of respect just because your situation may be different than theirs.  Consider yourself lucky.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wloutet said:

In between talking to you guys, I'm writing a course on the History of Math. So I'm reading Buckminster Fuller's Book "Synergetics" from 1975 and I have to show you this quote: "Although the polio virus is quite different from the common cold virus, and both are different from other viruses, all of them employ frequency to the second power times 10 plus 2 in producing those most powerful structural enclosures of all the biological regeneration of life. It is the structural power of these geodesic-sphere shells that makes so lethal those viruses unfriendly to man. They are almost indestructible." Now I'm not sure how that works with COVUD-19, but it was neat to see it in a math book from 1975.

Hey, you make 1975 seem like that is old!  Careful!  Just kidding of course, that sentence gives me flashbacks to all the struggles I had with math back in the day!  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

You should ask your company what their procedures are for Covid-19.  If PPE will be provided.  Covid-19 questionnaires.  Asking those place you will be visiting what Covid-19 policy they in place.

All the good companies have that already done prior to having staff coming back to full return to work.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, skategal said:

Hey, you make 1975 seem like that is old!  Careful!  Just kidding of course, that sentence gives me flashbacks to all the struggles I had with math back in the day!  

some of the best writing you will find in any field is often before the 90s.  A lot of really good academics dating back to the 1920s that are relevant  have been forgotten.  You can make a career out taking this forgotten work and recasting it as somewhat your own . Steven Pinker's widely selling The Better Angels of Our Nature is basically the same thesis as Norbet Elias's 1940 The Civilizing Process.  The latter blows the former away in literary style and depth.

It is a a grave mistake to think that older work is less quality than the up to date.  Often it is the opposite. 

Edited by samurai
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

You should ask your company what their procedures are for Covid-19.  If PPE will be provided.  Covid-19 questionnaires.  Asking those place you will be visiting what Covid-19 policy they in place.

All the good companies have that already done prior to having staff coming back to full return to work.

I think in BC in most instances in order for a business to resume operations, they have to have clear policies around sanitation and how they are going to keep employees and customers safe, in at least some instances that has to be posted.  WorkSafe BC requirements.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

15 or so cases is with the measures in place....watch those numbers likely go up over the next while as people do resume "normal" daily activities.  

I think it's the way people are ridiculing those who are still being cautious that's the issue here.  Showing a lack of respect just because your situation may be different than theirs.  Consider yourself lucky.

15 cases with the very little testing being done here... means more like 150 to 200 cases in the province....

I think 90% of cases are not being tested due to mild symptoms / younger people getting it.

You have to realize that to eliminate this virus we NEED much HIGHER rates of testing here in BC and in Canada. 

• Upvote 1