The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

24 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Rumours gyms reopen May 19?

On the Island, I believe.

44 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Wilbur is bang on with this, not too far left and not too far right, but striking the right "balance" overall. 

We are not going to stop this from afflicting "everyone" and we don't want it to run free in the population. 

We know who is the most vulnerable and we know where the most cases are concentrated and we should use this information to manage this pandemic moving forward.

I believe Dr. Henry is doing a good job overall but I think her plan could be fine tuned a bit to give more detail on specific locales and specific population groups so we are not all grouped into "one size fits all" mentality. Some people could probably continue on with their lives with a little more normalcy without risking themselves greatly, while others should not be leaving their residency without exposing themselves to great danger. I think that's why there is so much confusion as to what we "should be" doing or "not" doing during this pandemic.

I do wonder if the lack of the detail on specific locales is due to giving people a false sense of security.  Unless you're locking down by region, it doesn't take much or long for cases to spread from one region to the next.  So perhaps North Eastern BC is fine but all it takes is a few groups of people travelling from the coast who may not even know they're are infected to spread it there.

This is where contact tracing is key.  As far as I know testing is available to pretty much to anyone that is showing symptoms and asks for it.  It won't stop the spread but it'll hopefully really slow things down.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, spur1 said:

There is one and only one reason to send kids back to school in June. 
Daycare. 

Actually, they're considering it a test drive for September.  That's why we're going back.........and it's entirely voluntary.

• Upvote 2

Lucky teachers...

Get to teach all day all the kids the choose to go to school June 1

Then they get to spend all evening working online with those that chose to work from home and not attend schools.  Teachers working 12 hours day now ? Really ?

#HorganHASnoPLAN 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:02 PM, Warhippy said:

American People angry about this.  Understandably so if true.  Should never have an unqualified person speaking about matters of experts.  Like ever

Now, let's get Jared Kushner to delve in to Israeli peace talks and hand him the file to handling the coronavirus issue in America while also allowing Ivanka Trump unfettered access to numerous high profile issue in America today all at the behest of our 6 time count em 6 time bankrupt reality tv president

:bigblush:

Greta Thunberg was on the program, much like Alicia Keys was a few weeks ago.

They were not there as “doctors” nor were either of asked to express any views on what they thought the cure was.

Keyes sang a song and Thunberg expressed concerns about how the pandemic affected marginalized children in the Southern Hemisphere. 
Pretty innocuous stuff and certainly nowhere close to speaking about matters that should be left to the experts. In fact Thunberg put her money where her mouth is by donating $100,000 to a fund that helps marginalized children.

Anderson Cooper explained that Trump Junior (DJTJ) and others tried to stir the pot when they saw Thunberg’s picture on CNNs ads promoting the program.

Following the trail of bread crumbs:

DJTJ and others see ad as an opportunity to create buzz that CNN is using quacks to push medical advice.

Spread the lie amoung  Trump’s  rabid base.

And voila! Americans are angry about this.

Only in America.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

On the Island, I believe.

I do wonder if the lack of the detail on specific locales is due to giving people a false sense of security.  Unless you're locking down by region, it doesn't take much or long for cases to spread from one region to the next.  So perhaps North Eastern BC is fine but all it takes is a few groups of people travelling from the coast who may not even know they're are infected to spread it there.

This is where contact tracing is key.  As far as I know testing is available to pretty much to anyone that is showing symptoms and asks for it.  It won't stop the spread but it'll hopefully really slow things down.

Yes that is a concern and "travel" still is a concern that all have to be wary of. People travelling is how we got into this in the first place. If people are going to move around then they should agree to some form of tracing(i.e. phone app) or they can just stay home.

• Upvote 1

I was on a Zoom meeting this morning with mostly US fitness people, for the most part they are saying that the fitness facilities they are working at are opening next week.  Couple of exceptions, Ireland not til mid August.  One big box gym will have one hour appts, have to book ahead and only allowed 3 appts per week.  Another is measuring out 8 foot spaces for classes, met at the door, hands sprayed, have to walk onto a disinfectant cloth, then go straight to your square.  All equipment for the class is in the square, leave right after.  No changeroom/shower facilities.  Classes booked with an hour between to allow for cleaning/sanitizing. 

General consensus was that no one was comfortable and felt the fitness facilities were opening too soon.  

Vancouver did some interesting polling that was released yesterday.  Asked how many people would be willing to return to a gym.  About 60ish percent if there was adequate cleaning would return.  Heavily weighted to men, women not so comfortable.  Many won't return until there is a vaccine.  At least that was the thought at the point in time the survey was done.  That may change down the road as people see a continued slow spread of the virus (fingers crossed). 

• Upvote 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/lancet-editorial-blasts-trumps-inconsistent-and-incoherent-coronavirus-response/ar-BB148Bfo?li=AAggFp5

One of the world’s oldest and best-known medical journals on Friday slammed President Trump’s “inconsistent and incoherent national response” to the novel coronavirus pandemic and accused the administration of relegating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to a “nominal” role.

The unsigned editorial from the Lancet concluded that Trump should be replaced. “Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics,” said the journal, which was founded in Britain in 1823.

The strongly worded critique highlights mounting frustration with the administration’s response among some of the world’s top medical researchers. It’s not uncommon for medical journals to run signed editorials that take political stances, but rarely do publications use the full weight of their editorial boards to call for a president to be voted out of office.

The Lancet published the editorial as the death toll in the United States surpassed 85,000 and many states moved to reopen businesses and ease coronavirus restrictions that experts say are necessary to contain the virus.

The journal said that while infection and death rates have declined in hard-hit states such as New York and New Jersey after two months of lockdown, new outbreaks in Minnesota and Iowa have raised questions about the efficacy of the Trump administration’s response.

The authors accused the administration of undermining some of the CDC’s top officials, saying the agency “has seen its role minimised and become an ineffective and nominal adviser.” They noted that the agency, which is supposed to be the primary contact for health authorities during crises, has been hamstrung by years of budget cuts. The editorial said the administration left an “intelligence vacuum” in China when it pulled the last CDC officer from the country in July 2019.

The Lancet also took the CDC to task for its botched rollout of diagnostic testing in the critical early weeks that the virus began to spread in the United States. The country remains ill-equipped to provide basic surveillance or laboratory testing to combat the disease, the journal said.

“There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic,” the editorial said. “But punishing the agency by marginalising and hobbling it is not the solution.”

“The Administration is obsessed with magic bullets — vaccines, new medicines, or a hope that the virus will simply disappear,” it continued. “But only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles, like test, trace, and isolate, will see the emergency brought to an end, and this requires an effective national public health agency.”

A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday morning.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

From zero to stupid in 3.4 seconds.....

How about this kid going 308 Km/H in Ontario?

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/unbelievable-young-driver-caught-allegedly-speeding-308-km-h-on-ontario-highway-1.4932981

TORONTO -- The OPP says they caught a young driver allegedly speeding at 308 kilometres an hour on the QEW Saturday night.

“This is the fastest speed that I’ve ever heard of,” OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said in a video posted to Twitter Sunday morning.

Schmidt said that the 19-year-old driver was in his father’s car at the time of the incident with another 19-year-old passenger alongside him.

“Unbelievable speeds, we’re talking 191 miles an hour, we’re talking 85 metres a second, 280 feet per second,” Schmidt said, questioning how a driver could properly react to potential obstacles on the highway at those speeds.

Schmidt said that the driver was stopped near Burlington and was subsequently charged with stunt driving under the Highway Traffic Act as well as a criminal charge of dangerous driving.

The driver’s licence has also been suspended for seven days and the vehicle has been impounded for the same amount of time.

“This is absolutely egregious for anyone to be going those kinds of speeds,” Schmidt said. “The speed limit is 100, there’s areas where it’s 110. When you’re going triple the speed limit, I don’t even know where to begin with that.”

“So I’m pretty much speechless on this one.”

Absolutely insane and incredibly dangerous for everyone else on the road, let alone the kids driving the vehicle. He should lose his license for a year, if you ask me.

Edited by Gäz
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Gäz said:

How about this kid going 308 Km/H in Ontario?

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/unbelievable-young-driver-caught-allegedly-speeding-308-km-h-on-ontario-highway-1.4932981

Absolutely insane and incredibly dangerous for everyone else on the road, let alone the kids driving the vehicle. He should lose his license for a year, if you ask me.

I saw that. Funny thing is, it's only the second dumbest thing done by a kid in a car this week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/utah-boy-driver.html

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1