The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

44 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Mandates clearly don't work. But yuh let's keep em. Good luck convincing the public on this nonsense.

the BC public is clearly on board with restrictions and they clearly work.  BC has been one of the best places on the planet for managing it

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

What exactly are the 'restrictions' TML guy is so up in arms about? I'm curious, the masks are being lifted. No more passports, full attendance at hockey games. Businesses are open. Schools are open. What is it that seriously impacts his life so much?

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

the BC public is clearly on board with restrictions and they clearly work.  BC has been one of the best places on the planet for managing it

Literally posted articles detailing how jurisdictions that took this pandemic seriously, put public health measures in early, or didn't end their public health measures early saw lower mortality than jurisdictions that did not do those things.  Look no further than Alberta.  The comparison holds for TRUMP voting counties vs. Biden voting counties in the US.  Compare Texas, Florida, Arizona, and to some extent Georgia compared to others in the first year of the Pandemic.  Hell, even the Spanish Flu pandemic demonstrates this.

I have posted the articles numerous times.  @TOMapleLaughs should have seen them.  

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What exactly are the 'restrictions' TML guy is so up in arms about? I'm curious, the masks are being lifted. No more passports, full attendance at hockey games. Businesses are open. Schools are open. What is it that seriously impacts his life so much?

And we were so disciplined about masks and other preventative measures in BC that we barely even had any shutdowns

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

What's the latest guys? 

I haven't heard anything about Covid In a few weeks, are mask mandates going away? 

I'm excited to see people's faces again. Hopefully most people didn't forget how to smile! 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

@TOMapleLaughsUnderstand your opponent rather than this whole "time to wake up" bs as if you're some kid with a wooden sword ready to take on the world.

Hahaha that analogy had me rolling! 

People will have a hard time letting go of mandates. I see so many people walking alone or driving alone with a mask on. Reminding me of that kid Linus from Charlie Brown with his "safety" blanket. 

Anyways to each their own, masks won't be going away for a while no matter what the mandate says. 

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I have a good friend who has rheumatoid arthritis.  She has to take a medication that depletes her immune system,

which in turn reduces the inflammation in her body.  She has told me that she understands that the restrictions/mandates

will be gone soon and she is really anxious about it.  She doesn't think that the general population should have to

continue with the restrictions, just because there is a small portion of the population that are compromised.

Once the restrictions are lifted, she will have to be far more careful and alert in her efforts to avoid infections. Her

life will become far more restricted.

I am only posting this so that peeps can be aware of the struggles that the vulnerable folks will have to deal with.

They will be the ones still wearing masks, slathering up with hand sanitizers and desperately trying to trying

to keep their distance from everyone.

Good perspective Higgy. 

Thanks for sharing that. I sometimes look at people who are all by themselves in the nature and wearing a mask and wonder why.... but I need to keep in mind your anecdote. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

season 1 friends GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

People will have a hard time letting go of mandates. I see so many people walking alone or driving alone with a mask on. Reminding me of that kid Linus from Charlie Brown with his "safety" blanket. 

Anyways to each their own, masks won't be going away for a while no matter what the mandate says. 

You’ll probably see me walking or driving with a mask on, but it’s not for the safety blanket reason, it’s pure laziness/convenience, and also just that I’ve become so accustomed to the mask that I forget to take it off.

For example, when I have to walk somewhere, I just put the mask on before I leave the house, so that when I arrive at the public setting with lots of people, I’m ready. Sure that means I’m walking alone outside with the mask on, and maybe that’s pointless, but I don’t have to pull one out and fumble with it to put it on when I get around people. I’m ready to go, which is more easy and convenient.

Sometimes I’ll put one on before getting into my car, if I’m on the way to a meeting or appointment. Not because I think I need to wear it in my car, while driving alone. Just so I’m ready for the situation when I arrive. One less thing to think about, which when you’re a scatterbrain type like me, is very helpful. :lol:

And yeah, I’ve also gotten home to an empty house, watched something on TV, gone to the kitchen and made a snack, and not realized I was still wearing my mask until I tried to take a bite of food, maybe two hours after first walking in the door. :picard:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, March 2, 2022, 90.6% (4,517,602) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 86.3% (4,302,285) have received their second dose.

In addition, 93.3% (4,323,606) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 90.7% (4,206,171) received their second dose and 55.8% (2,587,716) have received a third dose.

Also, 93.6% (4,049,297) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 91.2% (3,943,505) received their second dose and 57.8% (2,500,631) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 442 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 349,213 cases in the province.

The new cases include:

• Fraser Health: 111
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 69
  • Interior Health: 105
  • Northern Health: 59
  • Island Health: 98
  • People who reside outside of Canada: zero

There are 517 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 73 are in intensive care.

In the past 24 hours, 10 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,883.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: two
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: four
  • Interior Health: two
  • Northern Health: two

There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health), Gillis House (Interior Health), Berwick House Gordon Head, The Heights at Mt. View and Greenwoods (Island Health). The outbreaks at Burnaby Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health), Glenmore Lodge, Castleview Care Centre (Interior Health), Eden Gardens, Kiwanis Village Lodge, Glacier View Lodge, Sidney All Care, Wexford Creek and Salvation Army Sunset Lodge (Island Health) have been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Menno Home, Cascade Gardens Seniors Community (Fraser Health)
  • Ponderosa, Overlander Residential Care, Three Links Manor, Hillside Village, Polson Long Term Care, Mission Creek Landing, Williams Lake Seniors Village, Sun Pointe Village, Gillis House (Interior Health)
  • Sidney Care Home, Amica on the Gorge, Selkirk Seniors Village, Nanaimo Seniors Village, Rest Haven Lodge, Berwick House Gordon Head, The Heights at Mt. View and Greenwoods (Island Health)

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Fischer Place (Interior Health)

From Feb. 22-28, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 19.7% of cases. From Feb. 15-28, they accounted for 34.6% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Feb. 22-28) - Total 3,087

• Not vaccinated: 494 (16.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 114 (3.7%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 2,479 (80.3%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Feb. 15-28) - Total 466

• Not vaccinated: 137 (29.4%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 24 (5.2%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 305 (65.4%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Feb. 22-28)

• Not vaccinated: 118.6
  • Partially vaccinated: 60.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 54.0

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Feb. 15-28)

• Not vaccinated: 36.9
  • Partially vaccinated: 22.0
  • Fully vaccinated: 6.5

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 11,350,297 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0072-000283

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

After the number the "maskne" did to my face, I definitely didn't get any prettier.  Good thing my wife didn't marry me for my looks... :bigblush:

Must be uncomfortable sitting on that wallet. :ph34r:

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The clowns who were having hissy fits these past 2 years over masks and stuff, throw hissy fits when people choose to wear masks as a personal choice.  

What a clown

the daily death toll for the US was 2300 yesterday

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let me preface by saying this is meant to be reflected mostly tongue in cheek.

Alternatively because you may be predisposed to explaining something you have witnessed with the lens of "look at those sheep" I have driven with my mask on simply because I don't even notice it and often forget to take it off. As well I will put it on outside walking alone when it's cold out because...it's cold and I have it.

I get what you're saying though. Sometimes at the ski hill I see these people wearing goggles still even though they are already at the bottom of the hill and I just think about how much better I am than they are because I don't need my security goggles. Don't even get me started on people with scarves.

Edited by EOTM
  • Haha 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Thursday, March 3, 2022, 90.6% (4,517,958) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 86.3% (4,303,614) have received their second dose.

In addition, 93.3% (4,323,865) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 90.8% (4,206,659) have received their second dose and 55.9% (2,590,923) have received a third dose.

Also, 93.6% (4,049,516) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 91.2% (3,943,913) have received their second dose and 57.9% (2,503,289) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 391 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 349,604 cases in the province.

The new cases include:

• Fraser Health: 88
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: 43
  • Interior Health: 100
  • Northern Health: 75
  • Island Health: 85
  • People who reside outside of Canada: zero

There are 511 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 79 are in intensive care.

In the past 24 hours, 13 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,896.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: four
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: four
  • Interior Health: three
  • Northern Health: two

There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Parkwood Court (Island Health). The outbreak at Rest Haven Lodge (Island Health) has been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Menno Home, Cascade Gardens Seniors Community (Fraser Health)
  • Ponderosa, Overlander Residential Care, Three Links Manor, Hillside Village, Polson Long Term Care, Mission Creek Landing, Williams Lake Seniors Village, Sun Pointe Village, Gillis House (Interior Health)
  • Sidney Care Home, Amica on the Gorge, Selkirk Seniors Village, Nanaimo Seniors Village, Berwick House Gordon Head, The Heights at Mt. View, Greenwoods and Parkwood Court (Island Health)

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Fischer Place (Interior Health)

From Feb. 23-March 1, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 19.6% of cases.

From Feb. 16-March 1, they accounted for 34.4% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Feb. 23-March 1) - Total 3,005

• Not vaccinated: 483 (16.1%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 106 (3.5%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 2,416 (80.4%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Feb. 16-March 1) - Total 439

• Not vaccinated: 128 (29.2%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 23 (5.2%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 288 (65.6%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Feb. 23-March 1)

• Not vaccinated: 118.0
  • Partially vaccinated: 57.8
  • Fully vaccinated: 52.9

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Feb. 16-March 1)

• Not vaccinated: 33.7
  • Partially vaccinated: 20.7
  • Fully vaccinated: 6.1

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 11,355,173 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0073-000291

• Thanks 2