The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

The idea would be to end the mandates so we can choose to wear masks if we're still thinking they're effective.

Esp. after two years.  And esp. now when it def. looks like they're not all that effective.

I mean, why not? 

Wearing masks is to protect others.  Like in surgery, the doctors and nurses wear masks to protect the patient from infection.  Or in care homes, the staff and visitors wear masks to protect the residents in cars.  

Dont you think it’s a rather selfishly childish attitude to suggest it’s up to the individual to choose to wear a mask, when a health order says we all need to?  

Should visitors be able to have the choice of wearing a mask when visiting family in a care home?  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wearing masks is to protect others.  Like in surgery, the doctors and nurses wear masks to protect the patient from infection.  Or in care homes, the staff and visitors wear masks to protect the residents in cars.  

Dont you think it’s a rather selfishly childish attitude to suggest it’s up to the individual to choose to wear a mask, when a health order says we all need to?  

Should visitors be able to have the choice of wearing a mask when visiting family in a care home?  

The "to protect others" is the part he doesn't care about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

The idea would be to end the mandates so we can choose to wear masks if we're still thinking they're effective.

Esp. after two years.  And esp. now when it def. looks like they're not all that effective.

I mean, why not? 

So basically, because it's not something you want to do, you want the mandates lifted.

That seems a little self-entitled there don't you think? Actualy, you clearly don't think that because how dare someone like me call you "self-entitled" am I right? (Just think of the irony in that statement)

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I mean, why not? 

Prove it...again.

Masks are part of a comprehensive plan to combat the spread of covid 19. They aren't the end all, they aren't the be all, and they were never sold as such. So again if they are ineffective in that regard then prove it because all evidence says you are wrong.

You're welcome to your opinion of course but understand that it is just that. Unfortunately you claimed there was evidence.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

But you're not "we".

And some of "us" are ok with masks. They had them at the entrance to hospitals before COVID and I always chose to put one on to keep others safe.

They have been effective, so your words don't make it so.  

The mandates will be ended when our health officials say so and some just need to accept that. 

There were masks at hospital entrances before. I don't visit hospitals often but I swear I had never seen a mask before outside of an operating room. That's interesting, I wonder if it'll be a common thing where you take one when you enter from now on. 

Well, got through the first day of no masks here in Sask. It was weird I saw an older gentleman come out of the library with no mask. We had a little civil conversation and he remarked how wonderful and free it felt. I and many others remained masked though. Habit and precaution I guess. So we'll see how it goes here. I'll let you guys and gals know.

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

The joke was satorical humour to make fun of the people who think masks don't work.

Sounds like the joke's on you here for thinking they are on your side. This also just proves that your side will literally cling to anything out of desperation, not unlike how flat earthers and other similar groups will cling to anything they can find.

So yes, wakey wakey indeed... just likely not the side you were referring to....

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure you get what SNL is or "satire", in general.

Lol, you gotta be pretty dumb to not get SNL. Par for the course though. :shock:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

But you're not "we".

And some of "us" are ok with masks. They had them at the entrance to hospitals before COVID and I always chose to put one on to keep others safe.

They have been effective, so your words don't make it so.  

The mandates will be ended when our health officials say so and some just need to accept that. 

This TML guy. That's literally how a child thinks. They simply can't fathom cleaning their room for 10 minutes and then they can play all night. It just seems like forever, even if it's not even close, and they can't wrap their brains around time, planning, or responsibility. Some people are just stunted in their development, even as adults and they simply don't grow out of it. It's like a child in an adult body.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well, got through the first day of no masks here in Sask. It was weird I saw an older gentleman come out of the library with no mask. We had a little civil conversation and he remarked how wonderful and free it felt. I and many others remained masked though. Habit and precaution I guess. So we'll see how it goes here. I'll let you guys and gals know.

sounds like March 14 will be the day for BC.  I haven't decided if I'll continue or not.  I'm triple vaxxed, had covid twice and still stuggle with long covid two years running.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, stawns said:

sounds like March 14 will be the day for BC.  I haven't decided if I'll continue or not.  I'm triple vaxxed, had covid twice and still stuggle with long covid two years running.

Wow, coming quick for you guys too. Yeah I remember when this first happened the struggles you had and continue to have. My sincere wishes you continue to get better. I think I'm going to be precautious at first, triple vaxxed as well. I haven't caught it but I also rarely go out. It will be nice if it does work out though. It really does suck wearing a mask in winter if you have glasses and a spinal cord injury.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll probably keep it going for things like when we're shopping and visiting the in-laws, and maybe drop it all together once the numbers in hospital actually drop to near zero.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

So basically, because it's not something you want to do, you want the mandates lifted.

That seems a little self-entitled there don't you think? Actualy, you clearly don't think that because how dare someone like me call you "self-entitled" am I right? (Just think of the irony in that statement)

Not sure what part of 'they don't work' isn't clear atm. Considering the province lost their handle on omicron months ago. 

The ridiculous charade we're in needs to end immediately, and no it isn't just me saying this. The majority of Canadians want this silliness to be over. 

Time to accept that public mandates that the public no longer desires (because they are useless) need to go. 

I have a good friend who has rheumatoid arthritis.  She has to take a medication that depletes her immune system,

which in turn reduces the inflammation in her body.  She has told me that she understands that the restrictions/mandates

will be gone soon and she is really anxious about it.  She doesn't think that the general population should have to

continue with the restrictions, just because there is a small portion of the population that are compromised.

Once the restrictions are lifted, she will have to be far more careful and alert in her efforts to avoid infections. Her

life will become far more restricted.

I am only posting this so that peeps can be aware of the struggles that the vulnerable folks will have to deal with.

They will be the ones still wearing masks, slathering up with hand sanitizers and desperately trying to trying

to keep their distance from everyone.

4 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Not sure what part of 'they don't work' isn't clear atm. Considering the province lost their handle on omicron months ago. 

The ridiculous charade we're in needs to end immediately, and no it isn't just me saying this. The majority of Canadians want this silliness to be over. 

Time to accept that public mandates that the public no longer desires (because they are useless) need to go. 

"Not sure" or "not want to believe it"? This is only "ridiculous" in your mind because, again, it's only what YOU want. ;)

Public mandates should remain so long as covid remains a threat, which is currently still remains a threat. You, yourself, just stated that omicron got away from the government months ago. That's reason to KEEP mandates, not remove them, as what you're suggesting would make things even worse. lol

So I 100% disagree with you here.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

I have a good friend who has rheumatoid arthritis.  She has to take a medication that depletes her immune system,

which in turn reduces the inflammation in her body.  She has told me that she understands that the restrictions/mandates

will be gone soon and she is really anxious about it.  She doesn't think that the general population should have to

continue with the restrictions, just because there is a small portion of the population that are compromised.

Once the restrictions are lifted, she will have to be far more careful and alert in her efforts to avoid infections. Her

life will become far more restricted.

I am only posting this so that peeps can be aware of the struggles that the vulnerable folks will have to deal with.

They will be the ones still wearing masks, slathering up with hand sanitizers and desperately trying to trying

to keep their distance from everyone.

Every at risk person has come to this point by now. My elderly relatives can't be cooped up in a perpetual state of fear. They won't be. It's not sustainable. It's not living. 

The idea that these folks are somehow selfish is just as ridiculous as thinking the mandates are still needed. 

I mean, we're all on the same page here, but tick tock... Time to call it already. 

Just now, The Lock said:

"Not sure" or "not want to believe it"? This is only "ridiculous" in your mind because, again, it's only what YOU want. ;)

Public mandates should remain so long as covid remains a threat, which is currently still remains a through. You, yourself, just stated that omicron got away from the government months ago. That's reason to KEEP mandates, not remove them, as what you're suggesting would make things even worse. lol

So I 100% disagree with you here.

Mandates clearly don't work. But yuh let's keep em. Good luck convincing the public on this nonsense.

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Every at risk person has come to this point by now. My elderly relatives can't be cooped up in a perpetual state of fear. They won't be. It's not sustainable. It's not living. 

The idea that these folks are somehow selfish is just as ridiculous as thinking the mandates are still needed. 

I mean, we're all on the same page here, but tick tock... Time to call it already. 

Ummm, hasn't it been called?

49 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

the province didn't lose the handle, at all.  I'd say we managed it very well........hospitals weren't overrun, schools stayed open..........almost exclusively because of dedicated mask wearing.

• Thanks 1