The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I have doubts that you'd have that sort of conviction if you were on your death bed but IDK you. Could be old and have already lived the life you wanted. If you were young and have so much life to live I would think you're coo coo for COVID-19. No offense. 

We're in for a long and boring month at the least.

I'm 28, I would regret not seeing the canucks win the cup and some stories I never finished, I would miss my family and friends but everything I said was true, 

2 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

I'm 28, I would regret not seeing the canucks win the cup and some stories I never finished, I would miss my family and friends but everything I said was true, 

As I said I would have my doubts but they're just that and non-credible ones since IDK you personally. This was a more human response to what you initially stated though which eases my doubt.

Being 24 I would fight and ultimately I'd survive anyway since it is only deadly toward old people and people with compromised immune systems which I am neither.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As I said I would have my doubts but they're just that and non-credible ones since IDK you personally. This was a more human response to what you initially stated though which eases my doubt.

Being 24 I would fight and ultimately I'd survive anyway since it is only deadly toward old people and people with compromised immune systems which I am neither.

Ofc I would fight, but maybe I don't value my life as much as you do..each to thier own..you'll be fine stay hydrated and good luck bro

• Like 1

Regarding Japan and the upcoming Olympics...........

Japan parliament approves bill to allow Abe to declare state of emergency, if needed

Fri 13 Mar 2020 07:40:02 GMT

The parliament approves the bill, giving Abe power to declare a state of emergency due to the coronavirus outbreak, if needed

With the Olympics on the line, I would not be the least bit surprised if Abe resorts to this and shuts down the country over the next few weeks/months potentially.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:Rudy Gobert jokingly did and he got the NBA suspended.

I read a comment somewhere that Gobert should win the defensive player of the year award.  He shut down the offense of ALL NBA teams for the balance of the season.  What a schmuck.  Makes Urine man look like a member of the Mensa club in comparison.

• Upvote 1

Posted this in the other thread too. So the latest research shows it can survive 3 hours in the air and 3 days on surfaces. Earlier information saying person to person contact spreading only looks to be false.

https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/

If this follows the trajectory of Italy (2,000 new cases daily), Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Austria 100+ new cases daily) and the US (100’s new cases daily) then here’s what will happen here. First it’s only a few cases (Jan. 28 1st case in BC), then dozens (Mar. 7 27 cases), then hundreds (there is 53 cases as of Mar. 12 and we will hit 100 in the next week or so), then thousands. As infection rates increase so do the deaths from those who are most vulnerable: the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. First it’s 1 death, then dozens then hundreds then thousands. No country has reached that point yet (Italy will cross 1,000 dead tomorrow), but that’s the trajectory that most are on. We’re just a couple weeks behind everyone else.

Of course this could play out very differently here and I pray that this scenario does not come to fruition, but it’s wise imo for us to look at previous countries experiences with the virus given that this is something we know very little about.

• Upvote 1

NHL season is suspended and Canada finds a way to isolate the virus.

We are all Canucks! :gocan:

Canadian Research team has isolated the COVID-19 virus

A team of researchers from Sunnybrook, McMaster University and the University of Toronto has isolated severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the agent responsible for the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19.

Thanks to nimble collaboration, the team was able to culture the virus from two clinical specimens in a Level 3 containment facility.

“We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic. While the immediate response is crucial, longer-term solutions come from essential research into this novel virus,” said Dr. Samira Mubareka, microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook.

The isolated virus will help researchers in Canada and across the world develop better diagnostic testing, treatments and vaccines, and gain a better understanding of SARS-CoV-2 biology, evolution and clinical shedding.

“Researchers from these world-class institutions came together in a grassroots way to successfully isolate the virus in just a few short weeks,” said Dr. Rob Kozak, clinical microbiologist at Sunnybrook. “It demonstrates the amazing things that can happen when we collaborate.”

Dr. Arinjay Banerjee, NSERC post-doctoral fellow at McMaster University, said he knows the collaboration won’t stop there.

“Now that we have isolated the SARS-CoV-2 virus, we can share this with other researchers and continue this teamwork,” he said. “The more viruses that are made available in this way, the more we can learn, collaborate and share.”

https://sunnybrook.ca/research/media/item.asp?c=2&i=2069&f=covid-19-isolated-2020

• Upvote 1

Ladies and gentlemen, Boris Johnson and the British government. 

Let's say conservatively that the virus has a mortality rate of 0.5%. 60 percent of the UK population contracting it would result in 200,000 deaths. 

Also, herd immunity is achieved through vaccination. The country is run by &^@#ing morons who are going to put millions at risk. Selling the vulnerable down the river out of fear of more economic damage. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested in hearing some good info, check out Sam Harris' latest episode on his Making Sense podcast.  Not sure if the link below will work, but he's made it free from a paywall for anyone who doesn't subscribe. 

One important note, airborne transmission is not the same as respiratory.

https://pca.st/episode/dac58b96-4a7c-436a-ab3a-62d548e102bc

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1238194916276256774

#BREAKING: The Ontario government is closing all publicly-funded schools across the province for two weeks following March break due to concerns about COVID-19.

This is smart.  There will be the loser, selfish bastards who take their kids and travel to the US, China, or other infected countries during Spring Break.  This forces those losers’ kids to stay away from school for a two week period after they return.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Boris Johnson and the British government. 

Let's say conservatively that the virus has a mortality rate of 0.5%. 60 percent of the UK population contracting it would result in 200,000 deaths. 

Also, herd immunity is achieved through vaccination. The country is run by &^@#ing morons who are going to put millions at risk. Selling the vulnerable down the river out of fear of more economic damage. 

Herd immunity is developed through exposure, immunizations are just the best way to get there because people don't have to get sick or spread it.

The numbers you quoted and I have done similar math is certainly scary and stresses why these shutdowns are so important.  If we can spread the illness out over several months the health care system can handle it better (though not likely well).  The government has pushed the health care system to plan for and fund mean occupancy that we are poorly equipped to deal with the flood.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is smart.  There will be the loser, selfish bastards who take their kids and travel to the US, China, or other infected countries during Spring Break.  This forces those losers’ kids to stay away from school for a two week period after they return.  

The Canadian government issued a statement discouraging all travel outside of the country.  

My daughter is really upset about having to miss that much school.  

We are very lucky in Canada in many ways that can help control the virus.  We have a small spread out population.  There is so much delivery service out there that food groceries etc can usually just be delivered or picked up at the store.  I am moving as much as my practice as I can to secure teleconferencing and telephone consults.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I read a comment somewhere that Gobert should win the defensive player of the year award.  He shut down the offense of ALL NBA teams for the balance of the season.  What a schmuck.  Makes Urine man look like a member of the Mensa club in comparison.

that is a bit harsh

he was stupid and foolish in his behaviour in front of cameras

he sincerely apologized

he likely had almost no impact on the development of the virus

we will see more players in other sports report getting it

his diagnosis just forced immediate action .. particularly in the usa which has done little

people might be thanking him in the future

for raising the bar on this crisis

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Posted this in the other thread too. So the latest research shows it can survive 3 hours in the air and 3 days on surfaces. Earlier information saying person to person contact spreading only looks to be false.

https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/

If this follows the trajectory of Italy (2,000 new cases daily), Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Austria 100+ new cases daily) and the US (100’s new cases daily) then here’s what will happen here. First it’s only a few cases (Jan. 28 1st case in BC), then dozens (Mar. 7 27 cases), then hundreds (there is 53 cases as of Mar. 12 and we will hit 100 in the next week or so), then thousands. As infection rates increase so do the deaths from those who are most vulnerable: the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. First it’s 1 death, then dozens then hundreds then thousands. No country has reached that point yet (Italy will cross 1,000 dead tomorrow), but that’s the trajectory that most are on. We’re just a couple weeks behind everyone else.

Of course this could play out very differently here and I pray that this scenario does not come to fruition, but it’s wise imo for us to look at previous countries experiences with the virus given that this is something we know very little about.

how about instead of providing snippets of information

that trigger concern

without any corresponding reassurance or steps to deal with concerns

we use this information as an adjunct or reassurance that our local authorities are acting validly

almost none of us on this board can properly digest and use medical information found online without a context

we have expert medical people in this province

among the best in the world

a spoke person, dr. henry, provides a daily update on the situation in bc

it is vital in dealing with controlling the spread of infection

that steps be taken locally (what is happening elsewhere is interesting but may not apply here at this time)

we have people providing direction

listen to them and follow steps they provide

they have already digested any and all information you might be able to find online

https://globalnews.ca/news/6663168/coronavirus-bc-health-daily-update/

Edited by coastal.view