The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've never been in a plane crash, nor a mass shooting.

Doesn't mean they both don't happen. 

My cousin was at the street party/concert in Las Vegas that got shot up  from the hotel.

Wasn't more than 10 minutes after hearing from him, a poster was on this web board saying it was a hoax.

• Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I got tested at the tennis courts on Gilbert in Richmond but that location has now changed.  Anyone in Richmond needing a test, these are the details (thank God the brain swab is gone and it's now a gargle test!):

Richmond Testing Collection Centre (jetSET parking lot)

5911 North Service Road, Richmond, B.C. (intersection of Aviation Ave. and North Service Rd.) [map]

Open daily, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Drive-through services only.

Testing for travel not available at this location

Testing available for ages 4+; saline (gargle) test available for children and adults. Do not eat, drink, vape, smoke, brush your teeth or chew gum at least 1 hour before the test. For more information, see the instructions for children and/or the instructions for adults.

Richmond Testing Collection Centre (Richmond Hospital)

7000 Westminister Highway - beside parkade

Open daily, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (closed from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.)

Testing available for ages 4+; saline (gargle) test available for children and adults. Do not eat, drink, vape, smoke, brush your teeth or chew gum at least 1 hour before the test. For more information, see the instructions for children and/or the instructions for adults.

Walk-through only, access from outside beside the parkade

image.png

43 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

And how the hell does china have such low numbers? Doesnt make sense with their population density and the fact it's the birthplace of the virus, and it's a pretty dirty country, compared to somewhere like Canada.

That's because they locked down fast and hard while keeping a lid on information (and people) getting out or coming in.  They can get away with it because they are a government that has no respect for human rights.  That's one "advantage" they have over the western world, though I'm not sure advantage is the word I'd necessarily use (but can't think of an appropriate descriptor).

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's because they locked down fast and hard while keeping a lid on information (and people) getting out or coming in.  They can get away with it because they are a government that has no respect for human rights.  That's one "advantage" they have over the western world, though I'm not sure advantage is the word I'd necessarily use (but can't think of an appropriate descriptor).

Also....do we trust their numbers?  I don't know that I do.

I have an honest question for the people calling others covidiots and quoting all the numbers. Do you actually believe the measures being taken are correct, accurate and clear?  Let me clarify something...I am seeking debate not the usual “part of the solution or part of the problem” rhetoric. I don’t believe a cloth mask will prevent the spread of a microscopic virus but I wear one all day. It is required, and not that big of an inconvenience. I social distance while working and on necessary trips (such as shopping) My issue is the new rules...I can go to work, spend all day around coworkers but if one comes to my house for a drink or a meal I am now a criminal?  I can go to a bar and be around strangers but can’t have my previous “bubble” in my house??? Schools have thousands of unmasked kids in them but my wife can’t go to dance class with 4 other ladies?  Is there really no room for debate here at all?  I am all for slowing the spread, and I too know people that have had it. I mean no disrespect to those who have seen worse but I personally know over a dozen business owners that are bankrupt or close, many more that will be when loans come due. I know people personally struggling with severe depression that can no longer access their support networks. Do people here really believe that a shutdown of this level with total randomness is the best possible solution?

Edited by Amebushi
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I have an honest question for the people calling others covidiots and quoting all the numbers. Do you actually believe the measures being taken are correct, accurate and clear?  Let me clarify something...I am seeking debate not the usual “part of the solution or part of the problem” rhetoric. I don’t believe a cloth mask will prevent the spread of a microscopic virus but I wear one all day. It is required, and not that big of an inconvenience. I social distance while working and on necessary trips (such as shopping) My issue is the new rules...I can go to work, spend all day around coworkers but if one comes to my house for a drink or a meal I am now a criminal?  I can go to a bar and be around strangers but can’t have my previous “bubble” in my house??? Schools have thousands of unmasked kids in them but my wife can’t go to dance class with 4 other ladies?  Is there really no room for debate here at all?  I am all for slowing the spread, and I too know people that have had it. I mean no disrespect to those who have seen worse but I personally know over a dozen business owners that are bankrupt or close, many more that will be when loans come due. I know people personally struggling with severe depression that can no longer access their support networks. Do people here really believe that a shutdown of this level with total randomness is the best possible solution?

Yes, we can debate this and by civil to each other.

Dr. B's. nonsensical covid restrictions  make people scratch their heads.... and then give up.   Her recomnended restrictios all DO NOT WORK  as you tell by BC's increasing infection numbers. 

When people see zero logic in government decisions... then people just tune out and don't listen.    I am with you.

My ice hockey teams are both full on now and guys will be having beers in the small dressing room after each game.... yet my dad can't come over and social distance in my basement with me...   

BC's covid rules make no sense ... so they will not be followed. 

BTW - i am extremely covid worried and i take every precaution.  I get groceries delivered to my house and i use SKIP to bring me booze as well....   Unfortunately we have too many others  that do not follow CURRENT science... including our PHO and  Horgan.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Huggy Bear 1

hmmmm..  people in BC are starting to clue in.... and get smart...

If AB can do a circuit break for schools, why can’t we in BC? Oh right. #BecauseBonnie

#MaskUp. @matpV.  · 1h

Breaking: Alberta doing a school circuit break: Nov. 30 all Gr 7-12 to remote learning from home, not returning until after Jan. 18th #ABpoli #BCpoli #BCed

22 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-masks-test-1.5795481

even cloth masks are very effective

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

The thing is that they're supposedly seeing transmission in personal and family gatherings in the most significant numbers.  So that's the focus.

I believe it's because they can control businesses and public spaces through inspections and monitoring....people's homes, not so much.  They can enforce measures and follow up to see that the guidelines are being followed (even the threat of that may be enough) in businesses.

Not "a criminal"...it's not a punishment but to PROTECT your family and friends.  Because if you're asymptomatic and do havea visit where you let your guard down, that could be dangerous.  And it's happening.  

People aren't as careful at home.  They serve food, people laugh, sing, party and especially if alcohol's involved, get a little relaxed with it all.

It's not a punishment....it's a small price for us all to pay to maybe save someone's loved one.  It's temporary....my God, it's not forever.  If your wife wants to dance set up a zoom class and...go.  It's doable.  We have to be creative, that's all.  We have technology that means we don't have to do things "alone"...we can still connect.  Imagine if this was happening in 1960?  

The microscopic virus is spread through droplets and yes, masks do help protect us.  Not that they can't get through....but it reduces the numbers and therefore the odds.  I mean, hospital staff wear them for a reason...it's not a fashion statement.

Bankruptcies or deaths?  

We're all struggling...it's a long haul.  I'm on my own and the only face to face contact I have is at work (where I'm worried sick to be near anyone so I hide out in a closed office) or when I'm taking care of Dad.  I keep my distance and wear and mask and it's a tough time for he and I right now.

But keep it in perspective and "plan" to have a big, rip roaring celebration party when it's over.  We all deserve it.  Good luck, be safe.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

we're putting restrictions in place precisely so schools and essential services can continue.  I don't disagree that some of them are puzzling, but we have to trust they are using data in their decisions.......gatheriings atre restricted because that's where most of the transmissions are, where people gather and don't use masks, don't social distance, drink, laugh and yell etc.

Gyms, dance studios etc don't use masks and are breathing heavily etc

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is that they're supposedly seeing transmission in personal and family gatherings in the most significant numbers.  So that's the focus.

I believe it's because they can control businesses and public spaces through inspections and monitoring....people's homes, not so much.  They can enforce measures and follow up to see that the guidelines are being followed (even the threat of that may be enough) in businesses.

Not "a criminal"...it's not a punishment but to PROTECT your family and friends.  Because if you're asymptomatic and do havea visit where you let your guard down, that could be dangerous.  And it's happening.  

People aren't as careful at home.  They serve food, people laugh, sing, party and especially if alcohol's involved, get a little relaxed with it all.

It's not a punishment....it's a small price for us all to pay to maybe save someone's loved one.  It's temporary....my God, it's not forever.  If your wife wants to dance set up a zoom class and...go.  It's doable.  We have to be creative, that's all.  We have technology that means we don't have to do things "alone"...we can still connect.  Imagine if this was happening in 1960?  

The microscopic virus is spread through droplets and yes, masks do help protect us.  Not that they can't get through....but it reduces the numbers and therefore the odds.  I mean, hospital staff wear them for a reason...it's not a fashion statement.

Bankruptcies or deaths?  

We're all struggling...it's a long haul.  I'm on my own and the only face to face contact I have is at work (where I'm worried sick to be near anyone so I hide out in a closed office) or when I'm taking care of Dad.  I keep my distance and wear and mask and it's a tough time for he and I right now.

But keep it in perspective and "plan" to have a big, rip roaring celebration party when it's over.  We all deserve it.  Good luck, be safe.

and we're just starting our journey up the second wave.  January-March is going to be long and tragic I think

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

and we're just starting our journey up the second wave.  January-March is going to be long and tragic I think

Not if we do a circuit break now like Alberta schools are doing...   It is the only way to get covid back under control.

Dr. B's. half measures will not work.  We need a pause. 

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic