The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

22 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I have an honest question for the people calling others covidiots and quoting all the numbers. Do you actually believe the measures being taken are correct, accurate and clear?  Let me clarify something...I am seeking debate not the usual “part of the solution or part of the problem” rhetoric. I don’t believe a cloth mask will prevent the spread of a microscopic virus but I wear one all day. It is required, and not that big of an inconvenience. I social distance while working and on necessary trips (such as shopping) My issue is the new rules...I can go to work, spend all day around coworkers but if one comes to my house for a drink or a meal I am now a criminal?  I can go to a bar and be around strangers but can’t have my previous “bubble” in my house??? Schools have thousands of unmasked kids in them but my wife can’t go to dance class with 4 other ladies?  Is there really no room for debate here at all?  I am all for slowing the spread, and I too know people that have had it. I mean no disrespect to those who have seen worse but I personally know over a dozen business owners that are bankrupt or close, many more that will be when loans come due. I know people personally struggling with severe depression that can no longer access their support networks. Do people here really believe that a shutdown of this level with total randomness is the best possible solution?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-masks-test-1.5795481

even cloth masks are very effective

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I have an honest question for the people calling others covidiots and quoting all the numbers. Do you actually believe the measures being taken are correct, accurate and clear?  Let me clarify something...I am seeking debate not the usual “part of the solution or part of the problem” rhetoric. I don’t believe a cloth mask will prevent the spread of a microscopic virus but I wear one all day. It is required, and not that big of an inconvenience. I social distance while working and on necessary trips (such as shopping) My issue is the new rules...I can go to work, spend all day around coworkers but if one comes to my house for a drink or a meal I am now a criminal?  I can go to a bar and be around strangers but can’t have my previous “bubble” in my house??? Schools have thousands of unmasked kids in them but my wife can’t go to dance class with 4 other ladies?  Is there really no room for debate here at all?  I am all for slowing the spread, and I too know people that have had it. I mean no disrespect to those who have seen worse but I personally know over a dozen business owners that are bankrupt or close, many more that will be when loans come due. I know people personally struggling with severe depression that can no longer access their support networks. Do people here really believe that a shutdown of this level with total randomness is the best possible solution?

The thing is that they're supposedly seeing transmission in personal and family gatherings in the most significant numbers.  So that's the focus.

I believe it's because they can control businesses and public spaces through inspections and monitoring....people's homes, not so much.  They can enforce measures and follow up to see that the guidelines are being followed (even the threat of that may be enough) in businesses.

Not "a criminal"...it's not a punishment but to PROTECT your family and friends.  Because if you're asymptomatic and do havea visit where you let your guard down, that could be dangerous.  And it's happening.  

People aren't as careful at home.  They serve food, people laugh, sing, party and especially if alcohol's involved, get a little relaxed with it all.

It's not a punishment....it's a small price for us all to pay to maybe save someone's loved one.  It's temporary....my God, it's not forever.  If your wife wants to dance set up a zoom class and...go.  It's doable.  We have to be creative, that's all.  We have technology that means we don't have to do things "alone"...we can still connect.  Imagine if this was happening in 1960?  

The microscopic virus is spread through droplets and yes, masks do help protect us.  Not that they can't get through....but it reduces the numbers and therefore the odds.  I mean, hospital staff wear them for a reason...it's not a fashion statement.

Bankruptcies or deaths?  

We're all struggling...it's a long haul.  I'm on my own and the only face to face contact I have is at work (where I'm worried sick to be near anyone so I hide out in a closed office) or when I'm taking care of Dad.  I keep my distance and wear and mask and it's a tough time for he and I right now.

But keep it in perspective and "plan" to have a big, rip roaring celebration party when it's over.  We all deserve it.  Good luck, be safe.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

we're putting restrictions in place precisely so schools and essential services can continue.  I don't disagree that some of them are puzzling, but we have to trust they are using data in their decisions.......gatheriings atre restricted because that's where most of the transmissions are, where people gather and don't use masks, don't social distance, drink, laugh and yell etc.

Gyms, dance studios etc don't use masks and are breathing heavily etc

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is that they're supposedly seeing transmission in personal and family gatherings in the most significant numbers.  So that's the focus.

I believe it's because they can control businesses and public spaces through inspections and monitoring....people's homes, not so much.  They can enforce measures and follow up to see that the guidelines are being followed (even the threat of that may be enough) in businesses.

Not "a criminal"...it's not a punishment but to PROTECT your family and friends.  Because if you're asymptomatic and do havea visit where you let your guard down, that could be dangerous.  And it's happening.  

People aren't as careful at home.  They serve food, people laugh, sing, party and especially if alcohol's involved, get a little relaxed with it all.

It's not a punishment....it's a small price for us all to pay to maybe save someone's loved one.  It's temporary....my God, it's not forever.  If your wife wants to dance set up a zoom class and...go.  It's doable.  We have to be creative, that's all.  We have technology that means we don't have to do things "alone"...we can still connect.  Imagine if this was happening in 1960?  

The microscopic virus is spread through droplets and yes, masks do help protect us.  Not that they can't get through....but it reduces the numbers and therefore the odds.  I mean, hospital staff wear them for a reason...it's not a fashion statement.

Bankruptcies or deaths?  

We're all struggling...it's a long haul.  I'm on my own and the only face to face contact I have is at work (where I'm worried sick to be near anyone so I hide out in a closed office) or when I'm taking care of Dad.  I keep my distance and wear and mask and it's a tough time for he and I right now.

But keep it in perspective and "plan" to have a big, rip roaring celebration party when it's over.  We all deserve it.  Good luck, be safe.

and we're just starting our journey up the second wave.  January-March is going to be long and tragic I think

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

and we're just starting our journey up the second wave.  January-March is going to be long and tragic I think

Not if we do a circuit break now like Alberta schools are doing...   It is the only way to get covid back under control.

Dr. B's. half measures will not work.  We need a pause. 

I think people are missing that there are options/different paths that are taken that result in where we end up.  The formulas have different results:

1.  Limit outings to essential only + don't do in person social gatherings in groups + wear masks + social distance + wash hands and sanitize surfaces = probably could keep numbers down and businesses operating.  We can have "some thing", just not "everything".

2.  Shortcut for impatient people.  Ignore the guidelines + go out and gather in groups + drop your guard to stand like idiots on Granville going YEEHA without masks on X go home, hug your Grandparents = find out someone had COVID and now others that have been exposed will also get it.  Numbers go up, businesses close down.  We get less than if we'd done #1.

It's the people who try to fast track things that keep setting us back.  If we all "hold the line" (I've come to hate that term...I want to kick anyone crossing over it but that's not kind) then the long term forecast gets better.

The harsh measures only come when people don't do what they need to in order to contain this a little better.  

Selfish people who are over it.  But we're not so we can thank them for that.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If BC government would have supported masks earlier on such as in May/June... our province would be in a dramatically better position today.

Wasted our BC  advantage due to lax goverment policies.....

KOS

Let us just pretend for a minute

Let's pretend that you are a  anti-mask person

And you infect your parents by visiting them

Who is at fault? You or the government?

Just answer the friggin question..............you or the Government?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think people are missing that there are options/different paths that are taken that result in where we end up.  The formulas have different results:

1.  Limit outings to essential only + don't do in person social gatherings in groups + wear masks + social distance + wash hands and sanitize surfaces = probably could keep numbers down and businesses operating.  We can have "some thing", just not "everything".

2.  Shortcut for impatient people.  Ignore the guidelines + go out and gather in groups + drop your guard to stand like idiots on Granville going YEEHA without masks on X go home, hug your Grandparents = find out someone had COVID and now others that have been exposed will also get it.  Numbers go up, businesses close down.  We get less than if we'd done #1.

It's the people who try to fast track things that keep setting us back.  If we all "hold the line" (I've come to hate that term...I want to kick anyone crossing over it but that's not kind) then the long term forecast gets better.

The harsh measures only come when people don't do what they need to in order to contain this a little better.  

Selfish people who are over it.  But we're not so we can thank them for that.

Think with our current numbers... we are well past the time of trying to just follow a few basic covid guidelines....

The only option now is a  reset / pause.    That is bad news for some businesses.... but unfortunately is the best way forward. 

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

KOS

Let us just pretend for a minute

Let's pretend that you are a  anti-mask person

And you infect your parents by visiting them

Who is at fault? You or the government?

Just answer the friggin question..............you or the Government?

Both of us.

Me for not following current science and not protecting my parent.

The government for not promoting mask use the last 6 months...

Hope this clears things up for you.

PS - I am 100% pro mask and have been since covid started. I  acknowledge that covid was airborn probably 4 months before Dr. B finally admitted it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Both of us.

Me for not following current science and not protecting my parent.

The government for not promoting mask use the last 6 months...

Hope this clears things up for you.

PS - I am 100% pro mask and have been since covid started. I  acknowledge that covid was airborn probably 4 months before Dr. B finally admitted it. 

I don't know buds

Science has given me everything I need to know, to avoid the Covid the best that I can, but I do make personal decisions that may not be exactly what science says

Therefore, I don't blame the G for anything.......my safety protocols  are my safe protocols

All based on science, I actually don't need the G to tell me what to do, just provide me with the info

I think they do

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

we're putting restrictions in place precisely so schools and essential services can continue.  I don't disagree that some of them are puzzling, but we have to trust they are using data in their decisions.......gatheriings atre restricted because that's where most of the transmissions are, where people gather and don't use masks, don't social distance, drink, laugh and yell etc.

And here lies my problem. If transmission is such an issue why are schools not only open, but don’t require masks?  Do children just naturally excel at social distancing, hand washing and general sanitizing that I didn’t know about. Also why are gyms still open?  Are they somehow “essential”. I don’t question that the people in charge are a lot smarter than with regards to this virus and would like to point out I am following the rules but am starting to understand those who don’t. When rules don’t make sense it’s harder to get behind them. 

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

And here lies my problem. If transmission is such an issue why are schools not only open, but don’t require masks?  Do children just naturally excel at social distancing, hand washing and general sanitizing that I didn’t know about. Also why are gyms still open?  Are they somehow “essential”. I don’t question that the people in charge are a lot smarter than me with regards to this virus and would like to point out I am following the rules but am starting to understand those who don’t. When rules don’t make sense it’s harder to get behind them. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not if we do a circuit break now like Alberta schools are doing...   It is the only way to get covid back under control.

Dr. B's. half measures will not work.  We need a pause. 

Alberta are the ones who have done half measures for a long time. 

They have the highest rate of infection than any other province. 

Public mask mandates in BC are in place and fines have been codified to allow officers to enforce. 

BC is still doing better than Alberta. 

The reason their Grades 7-12 have moved to online learning is because they’ve literally done the least in handling the second wave. 

Get a grip. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

And here lies my problem. If transmission is such an issue why are schools not only open, but don’t require masks?  Do children just naturally excel at social distancing, hand washing and general sanitizing that I didn’t know about. Also why are gyms still open?  Are they somehow “essential”. I don’t question that the people in charge are a lot smarter than with regards to this virus and would like to point out I am following the rules but am starting to understand those who don’t. When rules don’t make sense it’s harder to get behind them. 

Schools are NOT the source of major transmission. 

It’s the stuff outside of schools. Like family gatherings as one example. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Alberta are the ones who have done half measures for a long time. 

They have the highest rate of infection than any other province. 

Public mask mandates in BC are in place and fines have been codified to allow officers to enforce. 

BC is still doing better than Alberta. 

The reason their Grades 7-12 have moved to online learning is because they’ve literally done the least in handling the second wave. 

Get a grip. 

Alberta had mask mandates in Calgary and Edmonton months before BC had any...

Have you ever even been out of BC.....    You need to get out more and learn more about Canada... maybe wait till after covid though.. LOL. 

PS - I used to live in Edmonton...  great city.  great people. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Schools are NOT the source of major transmission. 

It’s the stuff outside of schools. Like family gatherings as one example. 

Yah, i have a bridge to sell you......

You really think kids don't get colds, flu  either.... wow...  you wanna buy a bridge.. ?