The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, stawns said:

100% support that.  You want freedom?  You want choice?  Well that choice, that freedom comes with a consequence.........no different than quitting, imo.

I sure hope there's no whining as most of the unvaxxed are also those crying about the govt paying people, via cerb, to sit at home

Exactly!  That’s a great point.  The antivaxxers want less government.  This is what they want.  So give it to them.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

100% support that.  You want freedom?  You want choice?  Well that choice, that freedom comes with a consequence.........no different than quitting, imo.

I sure hope there's no whining as most of the unvaxxed are also those crying about the govt paying people, via cerb, to sit at home

thats really what it comes down to, consequences. Which of course they are trying to avoid any way that they can.

We have to take a tough love approach with them, and protect them from themselves.

33 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it is, its the fed's saying it. You have to comply with the terms of your employment, and not doing that makes you ineligible for EI. Its a good move.

Anti-vaxxers are off the rails, they can't think rationally. Its only by playing hardball that we'll be able to wake them up.

We’re not talking about welfare we’re talking about EI. Something that everyone who works pays into (essentially your own money)

It should not be denied to anyone who is out of work no matter what the reason.

This is not actually giving people a choice if you’re saying get the vaccine or end up homeless.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats really what it comes down to, consequences. Which of course they are trying to avoid any way that they can.

We have to take a tough love approach with them, and protect them from themselves.

The media really has done a masterful job at turning people against the unvaccinated.

Do you really want to see people with no money and on the street because they made a poor choice?

I don’t think that’s the type of country I wanna live in. I may not agree with their choice but I don’t want to see their lives ruined over it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

We’re not talking about welfare we’re talking about EI. Something that everyone who works pays into (essentially your own money)

This is not actually giving people a choice if you’re saying get the vaccine or end up homeless.

no matter what the reason? really?

They are free to go get another job that will accept their choice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Yup, as I mentioned yesterday, my school community suffered the loss of a 31 year old father of one of our grade 3 students.  I found out yesterday he was a vocal anti masker/vaxxer.  He's now left an 8 year old girl without a father, a wife without a husband and a young family without his income.

For the unvaxxed it's getting to the point of "when" not "if"

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Do you get EI if you choose to leave your job?

Just now, JM_ said:

no matter what the reason? really?

They are free to go get another job that will accept their choice.

Yes. It’s your own money.

That’s like saying they wouldn’t be able to get a tax return.

Its an abuse of power by the government no matter how you look at it.

• Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

The media really has done a masterful job at turning people against the unvaccinated.

Do you really want to see people with no money and on the street because they made a poor choice?

I don’t think that’s the type of country I wanna live in. I may not agree with their choice but I don’t want to see their lives ruined over it.

it has nothing to do with the media. Go look at the hospitalization rates and whats happening to our healthcare workers. That's not spin.

I'd rather see an antvaxxer live with the consequences of their choice than be allowed to go hurt someone else in their workplace. Not sure why you think thats an acceptable alternative?

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yes. It’s your own money.

That’s like saying they wouldn’t be able to get a tax return.

Its an abuse of power by the government no matter how you look at it.

but the basis of EI is that its "no fault of your own" that you lost your job. How does being an anti-vaxxer qualify for that?

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

it has nothing to do with the media. Go look at the hospitalization rates and whats happening to our healthcare workers. That's not spin.

I'd rather see an antvaxxer live with the consequences of their choice than be allowed to go hurt someone else in their workplace. Not sure why you think thats an acceptable alternative?

Except you’re lumping everyone in who hasn’t gotten vaccinated as an “antivaxxer”.

People choose not to get the vaccine for other reasons than being against vaccines.

I would say the measures in place were already harsh enough. 

We as taxpayers will end up paying for these people when they’re on welfare on the street anyways.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Except you’re lumping everyone in who hasn’t gotten vaccinated as an “antivaxxer”.

People choose not to get the vaccine for other reasons than being against vaccines.

We as taxpayers will end up paying for these people when they’re on welfare on the street anyways.

The interview I heard was people with legit medical issues would not be denied

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

no I'm not doing that. People with legitimate reasons have no reason to be concerned, they would get EI.

Again tho, why do the rights of an anti-vaxxer trump someone elses? there are real, legitimate reasons to keep unvaccinated people out of some jobs. OTOH there's no good reason to expose someone to covid because of someones choice. Its pretty black and white.

Edited by JM_
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The interview I heard was people with legit medical issues would not be denied

What about religious and cultural reasons?

Medical reasons that don’t fall under their list?

I don’t think cutting off people’s own money is the answer. What about the poor kids of these people who have made poor choices? Should they suffer too?

My opinion is EI is a right that shouldn’t ever be taken away. That’s not gonna change.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no I'm not doing that. People with legitimate reasons have no reason to be concerned, they would get EI.

Again tho, why do the rights of an anti-vaxxer trump someone elses? there are real, legitimate reasons to keep unvaccinated people out of some jobs. OTOH there's no good reason to expose someone to covid because of someones choice. Its pretty black and white.

These people will still get punished by losing their job.

Giving them a financial buffer so that they don’t end up homeless and having us paying for them isn’t giving them that much.

Everyone should be entitled to EI if they’ve paid into it. It shouldn’t be used as a political pawn.