The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was late to that conversation and yes I agree they should be closed.

My source of anger is the glaring and blatant hypocrisy and seemingly mindless approach to these new lockdowns.  Again, I can not stress enough.

My facility.  Masks.  Always.  Appointment only.  6000 SQ FT, maximum of 20 people in building.  Clean downs mandatory.  No showers.  No linens.

BUT!

We can go to a theater, dank room on an incline with an updraft at 50% capacity.

That image I showed means only 6 to a table.  BUT!  A large party can book two tables and there's no mandate on sitting on both sides of said table

Canucks games and concerts capped at 50%.  Still over 10k in a building with THOSE washrooms but it's all good.

Malls, no changes at all during covid.  Orchard Park in Kelowna?  Metrotown?  Good luck finding consistent mask wearing or sanitizing there

I am a business owner.  I also work PT at my gym.  Based on the nature of my business being strictly event coverage during the winter/xmas/new year season I am officially out 2 sources of income.  Again.  I have had my ass handed to me for following the rules for 2 years.  In a normal year I'll shoot upwards of 35-40 weddings at an average $3500+ price point.  I'll do 15 recurring advertisement campaigns for local businesses.  I'll do Santa photos and more.  ALL gone.  Literally have given back close to $30,000 in deposits since Covid started.  Wrote down a $16,000 loss last year alone.  Will write down possibly up to $7000 more this year + any covid/CERB pay back I owe the government.

I have done EVERYTHING they have asked.  We have suffered collectively and were promised at that 80%+ coverage from vaccinations they would not lock us down again.  The gym is my only get away on a day to day basis.  Not just for mindless employment but for release.

I'm more than pissed bud.  My gym is possibly the safest venue I can think of under our guidelines and now even that's gone.  This is the crap that pushes people over the edge.  Want to lose the goodwill of people?  Want to push them in to the screw you Bonnie camp?  Want to shatter small business owners?  How about damage people's mental health and financial stability.

Well, I mean it's all good.  I can drink my face off at the tap at a pub next to 5 other strangers.  But as long as I don't go for a spin at my gym it's all good *sarcasm*

Ya mate, no argument you can levy here right now.  I'm pissed and there's nothing I can do about it except watch the lower mainland and alberta swarm our region for the holidays and get punished again further in 3 weeks

They could have simply said no more cardio equipment, only weights and masks all the time with reduced limits like last spring and it would have been better. 

Looks like university are finding the hospitalizations are much less too. High cases not low hospitalizations. Makes it much less reason to lock down. 

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

They could have simply said no more cardio equipment, only weights and masks all the time with reduced limits like last spring and it would have been better. 

Looks like university are finding the hospitalizations are much less too. High cases not low hospitalizations. Makes it much less reason to lock down. 

Holy Jesus, disclose tv?  C'mon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/disclose-tv/%3famp=1

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

It may very well be legit, but link to the actual study not a site that's been flagged by every major fact checking organization on the planet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Meanwhile both my families plan to have big gatherings...I feel like I dont know what to do or how to think about things anymore.

I have people in my family doing that too, some of them un-vaccinated (the SK ones). I know what I'd do, not go.

I don't know if it matters to you now, but times like this let us know who we are. People like you that are doing the right thing get to know that about yourself, when it mattered you did it the right way.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I feel for you, I really do particularly on whats happened to your business. And on the fitness side too. I like nothing more than to b out xcountry skiing, and to have that shut down 6 weeks early made no sense either, I typically pass about 2 people per 10km, but asshats partying at Sun Peaks and Whistler shut that down for us. I fully expect that to happen once again.

I dont envy Dr Henry one bit. The latest rules are designed to try to limit spread in people under 30 and unfortunately people that do the right thing like you get caught up in it.

Government is a blunt instrument. Not sure what other option we actually have when you get down to it.

The invincible ones! The invincible ones that take it home to mom, dad, grampa, and granny!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Russ said:

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

But there's no information, no link to the study, no context, no actual source in any way

I posted the paper yesterday that most people would be referring to. "Early assessment of the clinical severity of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant in South Africa"

It suggest omicron has 70% less severe outcomes, but the data is limited. It's a best effort early study to try to make apples to apples comparison of Omicro vs Delta variant.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.21.21268116v1

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I posted the paper yesterday that most people would be referring to. "Early assessment of the clinical severity of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant in South Africa"

It suggest omicron has 70% less severe outcomes, but the data is limited. It's a best effort early study to try to make apples to apples comparison of Omicro vs Delta variant.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.21.21268116v1

I had no issue with the study, just the source he used.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/22/south-africa-omicron-coronavirus-cases/
"The study found that the omicron variant was 80 percent less likely to lead to hospitalization than the delta variant and that for patients who were hospitalized, the risk of severe illness was 30 percent lower."

I think they are talking about this study:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/14/south-africa-omicron-coronavirus/
"The study by Discovery Health, South Africa’s largest health insurer, showed that risk of hospital admissions among adults who developed covid-19 was 29 percent lower than in the initial pandemic wave that emerged in March 2020."

https://www.discovery.co.za/corporate/news-room

Not sure about conflict of interest on that study. The data seems like a ballpark  match to yesterday's pre-print though.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Russ said:

I don't care for disclose much but if it's coming out of a university then it's still facts. 

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

But there's no information, no link to the study, no context, no actual source in any way

Yeah, I actually went looking for it on the U of E website. Nothing.

@Russ Maybe you could find the actual source?

Found the Edinburgh study. "Severity of Omicron variant of concern and vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease: national cohort with nested test negative design study in Scotland"
That one is hot off the press today. I didn't even get to read it yet, but it's getting lots of media attention.

https://www.research.ed.ac.uk/en/publications/severity-of-omicron-variant-of-concern-and-vaccine-effectiveness-

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Found the Edinburgh study. "Severity of Omicron variant of concern and vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease: national cohort with nested test negative design study in Scotland"
That one is hot off the press today. I didn't even get to read it yet, but it's getting lots of media attention.

https://www.research.ed.ac.uk/en/publications/severity-of-omicron-variant-of-concern-and-vaccine-effectiveness-

Everyone definitely has all eyes on the UK right now