The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I think we all knew this without being told, but now that he's leaving office, the former NIH Director is telling us anyway:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/586539-nih-director-says-trump-republicans-pressured-him-to-back-unproven

On his last day as director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Francis Collins spoke on how former President Trump pressured him to endorse unproven medical treatments for COVID-19, such as "hydroxychloroquine and blood plasma."

Speaking with "CBS Sunday Morning" correspondent Rita Braver, Collins said, "I have done everything I can to stay out of any kind of political, partisan debates, because it really is not a place where medical research belongs."

However, Collins said he often had to face off against Trump for his refusal to recommend medical treatments for COVID-19 that had not been shown to improve illnesses.

"And I got into a difficult place, and got a bit of a talking-to by the president of the United States about this," he said. "But I stuck my ground."

Sunday was Collins's last day as NIH director after 12 years as the head of the agency. Braver asked Collins if he would have resigned instead of submitting to the White House's demands.

"Yeah, I was not going to compromise scientific principles to just hold onto the job," said Collins, adding that he also refused demands from right-wing lawmakers that Anthony Fauci, now President Biden's chief medical adviser, be fired.

"Can you imagine a circumstance where the director of the NIH, somebody who believes in science, would submit to political pressures and fire the greatest expert in infectious disease that the world has known, just to satisfy political concerns?" said Collins.

When asked about any regrets on how the COVID-19 pandemic was handled, Collins said he wished that the "problem of hesitancy" had been studied more and that he did not foresee so many people refusing the vaccine once they were made available.

With Collins's retirement from the NIH, the agency's principal deputy director, Lawrence Tabak, will serve as the acting director of the NIH beginning on Monday.

Who would have guessed that Bone Spurs would put pressure on someone to back up his stupidity?

Oh, everyone? K....

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021, 87.6% (4,366,010) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.7% (4,122,434) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.8% (4,253,714) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.9% (4,122,360) have received their second dose and 16% (764,498) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.1% (3,985,464) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.4% (3,867,516) have received their second dose and 18% (763,715) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 1,474 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 231,117 cases in the province.

Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.

There are 7,253 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 221,280 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 187 individuals are in hospital and 71 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 435 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,277
  • 711 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 2,952
  • 113 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 683
  • 39 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 195
  • 176 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 1,146
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: zero

In the last 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,409.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: three
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: two

Note: The update on cases of the Omicron variant of concern will be provided in tomorrow's COVID-19 pandemic update.

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There is one active outbreak in:

long-term care:

• none

acute care:

• Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

• none

From Dec. 14-20, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 28.3% of cases.

From Dec. 7-20, they accounted for 70.5% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 14-20) – Total 5,944

• Not vaccinated: 1,602 (27.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 78 (1.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 4,264 (71.7%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 7-20) – Total 183

• Not vaccinated: 122 (66.7%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 7 (3.8%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 54 (29.5%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 14-20)    

• Not vaccinated: 226
  • Partially vaccinated: 38.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 93.7

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 7-20)

• Not vaccinated: 28.1
  • Partially vaccinated: 6
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.2

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,219,326 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0237-002439

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I have often wondered this myself.

What is the actual problem? I think it's a lack of health care infastructure???

Wouldn't it make sense to invest in infastructure and health care professionals?

Health care professionals and infrastructure in sorely lacking for mental health and addictions. I have been seeing it first hand for most of this year. I am often left shaking my head and saying wtf dealing with the system. It is no wonder why there are so many homeless. 
The only reason my wife is getting (sort of) the help she is getting is because my daughter a RN and myself have been fighting for it. Unfortunately most of the people in the psych ward have no one to advocate for them. 

• Huggy Bear 2

19 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

This is a good thread explaining where our public health advice has failed. Better masking and ventilation should be higher on the priority list. His credentials match what he is talking about.

Reveal hidden contents

Canada makes the list several times, with Bonnie at #77

That was a great article, thanks for that.  

24 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

This is a good thread explaining where our public health advice has failed. Better masking and ventilation should be higher on the priority list. His credentials match what he is talking about.

Reveal hidden contents

Canada makes the list several times, with Bonnie at #77

Bars and drinking dance clubs are bad news for viral spread, and should be shut down.  Idiots there don’t wear masks, and don’t keep apart.  Close them all permanently.  Waste of space anyway.  Young people should be too tired from working hard to go out.  

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Health care professionals and infrastructure in sorely lacking for mental health and addictions. I have been seeing it first hand for most of this year. I am often left shaking my head and saying wtf dealing with the system. It is no wonder why there are so many homeless. 
The only reason my wife is getting (sort of) the help she is getting is because my daughter a RN and myself have been fighting for it. Unfortunately most of the people in the psych ward have no one to advocate for them. 

Sorry to hear about your wife.

That is exactly my point....seems like a lot of expensive baindades without solving the root cause.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bars and drinking dance clubs are bad news for viral spread, and should be shut down.  Idiots there don’t wear masks, and don’t keep apart.  Close them all permanently.  Waste of space anyway.  Young people should be too tired from working hard to go out.  

I know it seems like a gross point but what about the bathrooms?

What does 6ft apart tables do in a restaurant etc if they all go to the loo at some point with this airborne virus? Same with sporting events...those washrooms are awful. 

These restrictions will do nada to stop anything/.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was a great article, thanks for that.  

There's some pretty big fails in there. :picard:  The guy talking about how you don't need a mask on airplanes - as he coughs in the video and is ID'd as covid positive shortly after.

Part way through he lists the other thread of good examples that are being set. Not surprisingly, Japan makes the good list several times by improvements to ventilation. Those measures aren't expensive either. Some of those improvements must be part of Japan's low case numbers.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know it seems like a gross point but what about the bathrooms?

What does 6ft apart tables do in a restaurant etc if they all go to the loo at some point with this airborne virus? Same with sporting events...those washrooms are awful. 

These restrictions will do nada to stop anything/.

Close all bathrooms!  Go natural, like us farm boys!  Let ‘er rip Billy! :frantic:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

There's some pretty big fails in there. :picard:  The guy talking about how you don't need a mask on airplanes - as he coughs in the video and is ID'd as covid positive shortly after.

Part way through he lists the other thread of good examples that are being set. Not surprisingly, Japan makes the good list several times by improvements to ventilation. Those measures aren't expensive either. Some of those improvements must be part of Japan's low case numbers.

It does not fill me with confidence about going back to work in my very old, run down school in two weeks

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

How in the bloody hell can so many people over 50 be not vaccinated?  They had their friggin’ chance.  Screw them!  No health care for antivaxxers!  Our hospitals could function fine if not for these selfish idiots.  Tape an aspirin to their foreheads and send them home.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

It does not fill me with confidence about going back to work in my very old, run down school in two weeks

We should have secured a supply of N95 masks for the teachers and school workers. You don't have to throw them out everyday. In fact, all you need is 5 disposable masks on a daily rotation and re-use. By the time day 7 rolls around, there's nothing to clean. Any cleaning process just damages the mask anyways.

Aside from that, opening windows helps, provided they don't screw them shut. That was another epic fail in the list.

The kids will be fine though. I know of 3 kids that just had omicron already and it presented very very mild. Not bad enough to even go see a doctor. The class will probably empty fast as they will all be at home in quarantine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

We should have secured a supply of N95 masks for the teachers and school workers. You don't have to throw them out everyday. In fact, all you need is 5 disposable masks on a daily rotation and re-use. By the time day 7 rolls around, there's nothing to clean. Any cleaning process just damages the mask anyways.

Aside from that, opening windows helps, provided they don't screw them shut. That was another epic fail in the list.

The kids will be fine though. I know of 3 kids that just had omicron already and it presented very very mild. Not bad enough to even go see a doctor. The class will probably empty fast as they will all be at home in quarantine.

I don't have windows, I'm dead in the middle of the school.  We've been ok through it all, our kids are pretty disciplined with masks, but weve had some sick parents from kids bringing it home and we lost one dad a cpl months ago

• Huggy Bear 4

5 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Very wise.  N95 masks for all persons over 12 in schools.  Plus get those super fan air exchangers for all classrooms.  I’m kind of surprised this wasn’t done last year.  What wasn't it done?  Proper masks and ventilation.  Just friggin’ do it!  Stupid to wait.  A teacher in icu for a month is easily the cost of these masks and fans for a 1000, no?