The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Where do you live that you aren't being told to stay inside?  

Like you say we don't know if people are getting enough exercise so it should be reiterated anyways.  You can't just walk your dog and then convince yourself everybody is okay. 

If the whole country is told to stay inside, gyms are closed etc...naturally there will be less exercise going on.  Sorry I don't have the data for that but come on it's just common sense.  Not to mention the rain has arrived.  How many people are getting their exercise today?

The people sitting inside eating junkfood aren't doing so because they're told to stay inside.  Most I know are actually getting healthier because there's nothing but time....time to prepare home cooked meals, baking, etc.  It's an opportunity to do so.  

We are all responsible for our own health.  

All those things you listed are "excuses" for people who aren't as motivated to do this.  Those who really want to take care of their health...do.  And Government intervention isn't usually the difference.  Their own lack of motivation/energy/commitment/discipline is.

If we haven't heard all the messages about:  heart health, obesity, inactivity and sedentary lifestyles, fresh air, drinking water, eating fresh fruits and vegetables, processed food dangers, etc. then we're probably stuck under a rock somewhere.  And likely safer from this virus than if we climb out from under it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Provincial Health Officer Lol.  When I first saw that Acronym being used, Noodles was what I though as well.

Man, you just reminded me how much I miss a good hot bowl of PHO eaten at the restaurant.  Take out is never the same.

True story: A buddy on mine was in LA about a decade ago. Snoop Dogg was pretty popular at the time (still is, I guess)

Buddy saw a Vietnamese restaurant in downtown LA called PHO Shizzle.....

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I never said they tell us to sit and eat junk food

I never said don't wash your hands

I never said don't social distance

I never said supplements were a cure

I never said supplements are better than a vaccine

I never said exercise cures covid-19

I never said nutrition cures covid-19

I never said supplements are a alternative to social distancing

I never said supplements are an alternative to washing your hands

I'm wondering why they can't take a short piece of their day to mention healthy living habits to help implant a nutritional strategy during these trying times?  They tell us how many people are dying and yes they do tell us to stay inside

Now what I really can't grasp is why everybody seems to have a problem with this question?  

I hear what you are saying.  We have been deprived of eating out, enjoying our favorite restaurant away from home.  The last thing people want to hear is Dr. Henry telling us to eat healthy.  There's a balance as to how much you want to tell everyone to do.  At some point it becomes nagging and people start tuning things out.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I never said they tell us to sit and eat junk food

I never said don't wash your hands

I never said don't social distance

I never said supplements were a cure

I never said supplements are better than a vaccine

I never said exercise cures covid-19

I never said nutrition cures covid-19

I never said supplements are a alternative to social distancing

I never said supplements are an alternative to washing your hands

I'm wondering why they can't take a short piece of their day to mention healthy living habits to help implant a nutritional strategy during these trying times?  They tell us how many people are dying and yes they do tell us to stay inside

Now what I really can't grasp is why everybody seems to have a problem with this question?  

No, they don't. At least not full stop. 

If everyone has a problem with your question, maybe you should try to look at how you are phrasing things and understand that you are misrepresenting the arguments that many have made. It is a classic straw man argument to suggest that we are being told to stay inside. Full stop. They have kept golf courses open (or at least re-opened them). Same with tennis courts. The trails that I go on are not closed. Parks are not all closed. If we were being told to say inside altogether, these options would not be made available. You, intentionally or unintentionally, are misrepresenting key pieces of information about the instructions that the public has been given. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

True story: A buddy on mine was in LA about a decade ago. Snoop Dogg was pretty popular at the time (still is, I guess)

Buddy saw a Vietnamese restaurant in downtown LA called PHO Shizzle.....

Didn't Snoop copyright that Word?

Not sure how good PHO is in LA.  But interested to try if I ever get a chance

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

You seem to be accusing me of defiance against the distancing/hand washing rules?  and that I think Dr Henry shouldn't mention these rules either? 

I'm wondering why they can't take a short time out of their day to mention something about nutritional health.  They speak to the public every day 

Because if you start going on and on, people tune out.  If you throw in too many things, it becomes too generalized/diluted and probably ineffective.  Hand washing is the number one thing to keep viruses "out" of our systems.  Social distancing keeps people with the virus far enough away that they can't transfer it to us.

Exercise and diet are things that may help IF/WHEN we get the virus.  Their messages are directed at preventing that from happening.

I'm not accusing you of anything but I'll go back and check and, if so, I apologize.  Didn't mean to.

• Cheers 2

Donald Trump's response to Covid-19 has been pretty lousy so far, but he doesn't hold a candle to Jair Bolsonaro: <_<

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/so-what-bolsonaro-shrugs-off-brazils-rising-coronavirus-death-toll/ar-BB13nfA5?li=AAggNb9

More than 5,000 Brazilians have lost their lives to the coronavirus – even more people than in China, if its official statistics are to be believed.

But on Tuesday night Brazil’s president shrugged off the news. “So what?” Jair Bolsonaro told reporters when asked about the record 474 deaths that day. “I’m sorry. What do you want me to do?”

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Well this seems convenient for your argument. They will just tune out the nutritional information cause it's becoming "too many things".  I'm not buying that

Are people not smart enough to handle too much info?  But they are smart enough to take care of themselves and understand the immune system and don't need reminding that Vitamins and minerals could be life saving?

I could survey 50 people right now and I bet 35-40 of them wouldn't know what foods are high in Vitamin A.  I'm not sure where this assumption that North Americans are health gurus comes from?  We are known for GMO and obesity 

We have information at our fingertips so if we don't "know" sources of Vitamin A, we can certainly get them. 

And we've seen it here in this thread...people wanting to get covid information don't want to have to "sift through".  Hell, I watch the first 10 minutes of the daily updates to get the pertinent daily news then shut it off.

Where do you start/end with "health and nutrition"?... because that's a pretty wide topic to cover.  You want Vitamin A?  What about Iron, Zinc, D, E?  Can  I take them while on meds for hypertension?  What if I'm allergic?  Are there food interactions?  Take with or without food?  What if I'm pregnant?  Dosage?  HEEEELLLLP.  

The message is a pretty basic/simple one and if I survey 50 people right now to ask how, best, to take care of health...most would know.  Diet that includes lots of fresh veggies and fruits and limits processed foods, exercise, fresh air, water, rest, avoid stress.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How many Canadians are reading the Vancouver.ca/property-development page on a daily basis?   

Most people will only need to read it once. You seem to be the exception and need to be repeatedly hit over the head with information.

You claimed that the public were being told to stay inside. I told you this information was wrong. I showed you that you were wrong. You continue to whine. 

I found that information by literally Googling:

6t4uQN6.png

You complain about people being lazy and yet you seem to lazy to do any research. You've just decided what you want the truth to be and then ignored any information to the contrary.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Thanks Stealth....it's right there:

• Practice mindfulness. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate
  • Try to eat healthy meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Yet another idiot putting people's health at risk in the name of "freedom".....<_<:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexico-coronavirus-mayor-dismisses-city-manager-golf-course-reopen

A New Mexico mayor reportedly fired his city manager for refusing to reopen a golf course amid the state’s stay-at-home order currently in effect to limit the impact of the coronavirus, according to a report Tuesday.

Grants Mayor Martin "Modey" Hicks has “dismissed” City Manager Laura Jaramillo, KOB 4 reported. The City Council will hold a vote Friday to decide whether her termination will be finalized.

Hicks announced Monday he would challenge Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s statewide stay-at-home order, encouraging non-essential businesses in Grant, including a gun shop and its city-operated golf course, to reopen.

“Come play golf,” Hicks told residents, according to KOB 4. "What the governor is doing is wrong. That’s why we’re standing up against it.”

New Mexico State Police responded to at least eight businesses who reopened their doors, but officers only issued one citation, as well as one cease-and-desist order to the city-operated golf course.

Jaramillo was dismissed by the mayor for not ordering city employees at the golf course to reopen.

“This is about the Constitution to this country. Period,” Hicks told KOB 4 Monday in an interview outdoors. “It’s about our livelihoods. It’s about our liberties. It’s about our rights. And we will not compromise them no more to a tyrant in Santa Fe.”

“Why do you want to take the chance to spread it?" a woman passing on the street shouted, confronting the mayor. After spouting profanity and calling the woman "ridiculous," the mayor then said the city’s revenue is down by 30 percent, meaning he might need to lay off staff.

The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General also sent a cease and desist letter to Hicks on Tuesday, ordering him to follow the governor's orders. The mayor argued it’s unfair for the state government to allow hardware store chains and large supermarkets to remain open while smaller salons and mom-and-pop shops must shut their doors.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How does the importance of diet and exercise and north american"s being weak on will power not coincide with one another?  Obviously people need things driven in to their heads, like you say.  Do you know what people are doing right now?  Sitting at home eating take-out and junk food while not getting regular exercise.   If the government tries branding nutritional knowledge into peoples minds everyday at 3pm or whenever it is... what's the hurt?  What is the downside other than it might fall on some deaf ears?  People need to be told everyday to stay inside?  We're not smart enough to do that but 'we all understand the bodies system and how to properly stay healthy? 

I suppose you could try to bombard people with healthy living choices, maybe a brute force technique might do some good. I don't claim to be in the know on human psychology. There are arguments against it, most people now days have low attention spans. Its more important to get essential information out rather than try to make some sort of broader point which is probably just going to be lost on the masses. We have known that there is a direct correlation b/w smoking and lung cancer but it often takes governments hiking up taxes on smokes in order to get people to quit. Sadly that is not the case with food, the healthy choices are often more expensive while the cheap stuff that clogs your arteries is cheap and easily available. 

28 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

it is not enforced legally but they do say "stay inside" and there are signs and red tape across almost all parks.   Simple minded people see "stay home" everywhere so that's what they do.  They don't see nutritional information everywhere, just fear mongering, death rates and political BS 

The signs and red tape at parks is usually put in some of the areas where people congregate i.e. skateboard parks, tennis and basketball courts, playgrounds.  AFIAK, running tracks and most trails are open.  Also with respect to how strict we are it all depends on the jurisdictions that you are dealing with.  Both Quebec and Ontario have tighter restrictions on movements because they have had a tougher experience with Covid.  BC has been more lax.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

it is not enforced legally but they do say "stay inside" and there are signs and red tape across almost all parks.   Simple minded people see "stay home" everywhere so that's what they do.  They don't see nutritional information everywhere, just fear mongering, death rates and political BS 

They also offer recovery rates and rather "hopeful" outlooks if we keep at this because we're succeeding for the most part.

Fear mongering is thinking people will succumb because they've been told to stay home.    

• Cheers 3