The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Malcolm Gladwell video on the G&M kinda of put the C-19 virus in perspective. He thinks the idea that isolation will be effective long term will not stand up. The majority of the people will get this virus. 

I think people will go back to work. The critical concern is testing capacity to ensure those who do have the virus can be isolated. Ortho announced yesterday that they will be able to antibody test 2 million per day by the end of May. Their equipment is in over 1000 USA hospitals. 

Association of American Physicians & Surgeons said 2333 patients were treated with hydroxychloroquine with 91.6% showing clinical improvement. China, France, Australia and USA are using the drug. Not a long term answer for the vast numbers. 

The idea of social isolation is to pace things, not to stop them.  

And to extend the timeline to manage healthcare institutions and not completely burn out and expose front line heath care workers all at once.   To be able to protect the resources that are needed during this crisis.   If you have 100 ventilators you don't want 500 people all needing them at once.  If there are huge surges all at once things grow exponentially and social distancing is intended to break the chains by identifying and tracing outbreaks and clusters and isolating them to stop the immediate spread.  It's a ripple effect that turns into a tidal wave real quick.

You can let everyone run around all at once and break the dam down and flood everything or you can sandbag and divert things in order to manage them.  Not magically take all the water away but be proactive until it subsides.  Then prepare for the next flood.  You take measures against complete devastation all at once.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Time to really rethink "food" and sources for it.  I mean, it likely isn't a coincidence that places that produce and process "meat" are being hit hard...yet we gobble (poor turkeys) it up.  Makes you wonder why there are Ag-gag measures in place?  Hmmm. secrets generally mean hiding something for me.  

Farming conjures an image of cows and chickens wandering green pastures on farms at sunset when, really, these mass producers cram them on top of each other in filthy conditions under stress, often doing terrible things during the process then pumping them full of antibiotics in order to package them nicely to sell to us for BBQ.  Gestation crates and baby cows produced "ONLY" for milk.

True "farmland" is being sold off to investors and developers who put mega mansions and other buildings on it. 

"Farming" is being replaced by "factory mass production".  It ain't pretty.  

I was a meat LOVER but the few times I do eat it now it tastes "off" and is not very good unless sauced or mixed in as an ingredient (mind you, I never bought from a butcher because I couldn't afford to.  Now I feel we cannot afford NOT to).  Mass produced meat has become, for me, like factor farmed fish.  Ew.  I don't buy meat anymore...I only eat it if my Dad prepares a meal and I don't want to hurt his feelings.  I'm trying to "educate" him by gently easing him into my thinking rather than pushing him into it.  Tends to have more impact that way....

But yeah...viruses and animals are connected.  And it's time to think of the root of these problems and eliminate them at the source.  A wet market started all this (reportedly) and meat producing plants are being hit hard.  Connecting dots at some point may be valuable to us as human beings.

I, for one, will NOT be shopping without thinking hard about what I'm buying, where it is from and how it was "produced".  It matters.  Local, small business will need our help and, in turn, will help us.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Time to really rethink "food" and sources for it.  I mean, it likely isn't a coincidence that places that produce and process "meat" are being hit hard...yet we gobble (poor turkeys) it up.  Makes you wonder why there are Ag-gag measures in place?  Hmmm. secrets generally mean hiding something for me.  

Farming conjures an image of cows and chickens wandering green pastures on farms at sunset when, really, these mass producers cram them on top of each other in filthy conditions under stress, often doing terrible things during the process then pumping them full of antibiotics in order to package them nicely to sell to us for BBQ.  

I was a meat LOVER but the few times I do eat it now it tastes "off" and is not very good unless sauced or mixed in as an ingredient (mind you, I never bought from a butcher because I couldn't afford to.  Now I feel we cannot afford NOT to).  Mass produced meat has become, for me, like factor farmed fish.  Ew.  I don't buy meat anymore...I only eat it if my Dad prepares a meal and I don't want to hurt his feelings.  I'm trying to "educate" him by gently easing him into my thinking rather than pushing him into it.  Tends to have more impact that way....

Processed food....   My chicken comes straight from the farm and has zero odor to it.  I used to eat a lot of processed chicken like Maple Leaf chicken breasts and they stunk right out of the package.  I only get meat from the butcher nowadays. 

Also places that have a lot of workers is close proximity is more likely to have an outbreak.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Farming conjures an image of cows and chickens wandering green pastures on farms at sunset when, really, these mass producers cram them on top of each other in filthy conditions under stress, often doing terrible things during the process then pumping them full of antibiotics in order to package them nicely to sell to us for BBQ.  Gestation crates and baby cows produced "ONLY" for milk.

True "farmland" is being sold off to investors and developers who put mega mansions and other buildings on it. 

"Farming" is being replaced by "factory mass production".  It ain't pretty.  

But yeah...viruses and animals are connected.  And it's time to think of the root of these problems and eliminate them at the source.  A wet market started all this (reportedly) and meat producing plants are being hit hard.  Connecting dots at some point may be valuable to us as human beings.

along these lines, we also eat way too much animal protein in north america. You need about 2 ounces per day (if your primary source is animal protein). If we actually only bought what our bodies needed meat processing would be much much different.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Also places that have a lot of workers is close proximity is more likely to have an outbreak.  

Another problem I think was that the workers were used in more than one "factory"  (much like the care aid workers working in different care facilities/nursing homes).

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

along these lines, we also eat way too much animal protein in north america. You need about 2 ounces per day (if your primary source is animal protein). If we actually only bought what our bodies needed meat processing would be much much different.

Exactly.  The palm of the hand thing in comparison to the triple whopper deals.  

And buying a little for a premium at the butcher versus getting a "family pack" at a deal at the grocery store.  Pay $15-$20 for one steak as a treat instead of a crappy pack of 2 or 3 or 6.  The freezing it and eventually throwing it away because it got buried at the back of the freezer and looks like it's prehistoric deal that some of us do (did).

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Exactly.  The palm of the hand thing in comparison to the triple whopper deals.  

And buying a little for a premium at the butcher versus getting a "family pack" at a deal at the grocery store.  The freezing it and eventually throwing it away because it got buried at the back of the freezer and looks like it's prehistoric.

thats what we often try to do, I prefer better but less to volume. But thats now, when I was a kid in SK I could snarf down a massive steak and look for more. Its really a culture shift. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I’m waiting/dreading the day when Corona meets and has babies with Avian.

The progeny will undoubtedly be the deadliest virus on earth and simultaneously delicious when deep fried. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats what we often try to do, I prefer better but less to volume. But thats now, when I was a kid in SK I could snarf down a massive steak and look for more. Its really a culture shift. 

I used to rib my ex about his different way of doing things...that he always bought premium/organic everything and I was the bargain shopper who got "deals" and better "value".  I'd ask if he was secretly rich and famous...but he just knew waaaay before I did that everything comes at a cost.  In fairness, I couldn't "afford" to feed a family that way...but should have done the volume to quality comparisons and adjusted.

Funny...we've been split a long time but we can now talk about differences in a good light rather than tearing each other up.  He was right.  And is quite happy to hear me say it (on those rare occasions when it's applicable).  :towel:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Quantity or quality.....I choose to eat at buffets.:P

(now excuse me as it's time for me to take my cholesterol pills......)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Many factory farms in North America ain't a whole lot different than Chinese wet farms

Nope.  There are actual government standards here.  Large number of unregulated (black) markets there.

Irony......unfettered capitalism in China.  Government regulation in the "land of the free".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nope.  There are actual government standards here.  Large number of unregulated (black) markets there.

Irony......unfettered capitalism in China.  Government regulation in the "land of the free".

My brother in law was doing additions a factory farm that provides pork to Fletcher's.........he never ate corporate pork again.  He legitimately had ptsd over it

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Russ said:

Oh brutal!  Did they say why?  Theres no way they can do that if they aren't giving you a service.  I was wondering about my buddies, he rescheduled his wedding from May to August now, hoping it goes through by August but we will see what kind of restrictions there are at that point.

They gave us the option of keeping the same day but only able to have a ceremony now with 45 people no dancing food or pictures allowed anymore.We had around 14hrs of being able to use the venue for setup and other stuff now we only get 4hrs.They offered us dates for next year but march april and only friday instead of mid june on a saturday like we had originally planned.

Its disappointing the fiance is mad shes out $1000 but it is what it is i guess.

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

That sucks.  I think as long as they re-schedule you they don't  technically have to refund.

Still a D Bag  move by them though. 

We signed a contract and nowhere in the contract does it cover pandemics.

We will probably get married in surrey instead of aldergrove for alot less next year.Lots of money is gonna be lost for small local businesses because of this.

Edited by Violator

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I choose to eat at buffets.:P

We used to go to a place called Mama Pandas when I first lived on my own.  Money was tight so my roomie and I would bring baggies in and smuggle chicken wings.

• Upvote 1

McDonald’s Canada will start importing US beef due to Covid 19 meat plant shutdowns. 

Not that I eat that garbage in the first place, but I wonder the quality difference woulD be between the two meat sources. 

Also, with the amount of Covid cases in the US and the inane push to reopen their businesses sooner than later it wouldn’t surprise me if their meat plants eventually succumb to Covid cases at those various plants too. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Also, with the amount of Covid cases in the US and the inane push to reopen their businesses sooner than later it wouldn’t surprise me if their meat plants eventually succumb to Covid cases at those various plants too. 

Don't worry.  The owners of the plants will get bailed out.  The workers who may get the virus?  **** out of luck.

• Cheers 1