The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

lol....look who's looking to "hide the numbers/facts":

"The Tampa Bay Times reported that Florida's official death numbers only include deaths where the deceased was an official resident of Florida, not deaths where the person got sick and died in Florida but say, had a NY driver's license and were snowbirds like the medical examiners numbers show and that is the main reason for the discrepancy.

Florida Department of Health pushing back on the Tampa Bay Times insisting official residency is the appropriate way to report deaths."

I blame Roger Daltry & Pete Townsend.  John Entwistle & Keith Moon have passed away, so they're innocent.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my wife and i smoke them together so I'm all good on that front. Plus we usually take them on our annual camping trip and smoke 'em outdoors so we don't have any neighbour issues. 

City Cigar in Vancouver is a great place to go find one, really nice staff who can find something you'd like. 

Thanks Jimmy. I do feel the need to point out my posts were designed as a round-about way to poke fun at a poster claiming that we, as a nation, have not been educated enough in healthy living practices by the government.

(I still smoke the odd cigar too)

As mentioned above

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/florida-ordered-coroners-to-stop-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-report/ar-BB13o0wj?ocid=spartandhp

Florida officials have reportedly withheld medical examiners' data on coronavirus deaths in the state for over a week, with the policy changing shortly after the Tampa Bay Times reported that the medical examiners were counting 10 percent more deaths than the state.

Stephen Nelson, the chairman of the state Medical Examiners Commission, told the Tampa Bay Times that the state health department intervened and told him it planned to remove causes of death and case descriptions from mortality data.

Nelson told the newspaper the data is meaningless without that information, and the entirety of the list should be considered public information.

"This is no different than any other public record we deal with," he said. "It's paid for by taxpayer dollars and the taxpayers have a right to know."

Alberto Moscoso, a spokesman for the state health department, told the Times that the department "participated in conference calls" with the state Department of Law Enforcement, which provides administrative support to the Medical Examiners Commission, saying the discussions pertained to "privacy concerns for the individuals that passed away related to COVID-19."

He said the state did not provide a formal legal opinion during the calls.

In March, the agency attempted to persuade the Miami-Dade County medical examiner's office to restrict access to death records, according to the Times, citing correspondence between the two agencies. The county ultimately released the records, including the names of the dead.

Hillsborough County, meanwhile, refused to release records for weeks before eventually releasing a list on Tuesday of those identified as dying from the virus after questioning from the newspaper. The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner, which previously provided a spreadsheet of coronavirus-related deaths, was directed by county attorneys last week to stop releasing it, according to the Times.

"I was actually taken aback when they called us," Paul Petrino, the Palm Beach County office's operations manager, told the newspaper, saying the office considers the release of the information essential to providing the public with information.

"I'd hate to see anything hinder that," he told the Times. "Hopefully, it won't."

The Hill has reached out to the Florida Department of Health for comment."

• Upvote 2

https://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-news/2020/04/29/costco-canada-customers-will-need-to-wear-protective-face-coverings-starting-may-4th/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=costco0429&fbclid=IwAR13MMU6AzxyDII2Ofoa70NVgIFFo-sClRKEk8G--d5Al_l377AMIIat2Co

Since the original article was posted we've learned that the new policy will not be launched immediately at all warehouse stores, but rather with a slow roll out beginning on May 4, 2020. Which warehouse store(s) will be implementing the new policy at the beginning of the roll out is currently unknown to us. We will update this story as more information becomes available to us.

Should be true.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

As mentioned above

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/florida-ordered-coroners-to-stop-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-report/ar-BB13o0wj?ocid=spartandhp

Florida officials have reportedly withheld medical examiners' data on coronavirus deaths in the state for over a week, with the policy changing shortly after the Tampa Bay Times reported that the medical examiners were counting 10 percent more deaths than the state.

Stephen Nelson, the chairman of the state Medical Examiners Commission, told the Tampa Bay Times that the state health department intervened and told him it planned to remove causes of death and case descriptions from mortality data.

Nelson told the newspaper the data is meaningless without that information, and the entirety of the list should be considered public information.

"This is no different than any other public record we deal with," he said. "It's paid for by taxpayer dollars and the taxpayers have a right to know."

Alberto Moscoso, a spokesman for the state health department, told the Times that the department "participated in conference calls" with the state Department of Law Enforcement, which provides administrative support to the Medical Examiners Commission, saying the discussions pertained to "privacy concerns for the individuals that passed away related to COVID-19."

He said the state did not provide a formal legal opinion during the calls.

In March, the agency attempted to persuade the Miami-Dade County medical examiner's office to restrict access to death records, according to the Times, citing correspondence between the two agencies. The county ultimately released the records, including the names of the dead.

Hillsborough County, meanwhile, refused to release records for weeks before eventually releasing a list on Tuesday of those identified as dying from the virus after questioning from the newspaper. The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner, which previously provided a spreadsheet of coronavirus-related deaths, was directed by county attorneys last week to stop releasing it, according to the Times.

"I was actually taken aback when they called us," Paul Petrino, the Palm Beach County office's operations manager, told the newspaper, saying the office considers the release of the information essential to providing the public with information.

"I'd hate to see anything hinder that," he told the Times. "Hopefully, it won't."

The Hill has reached out to the Florida Department of Health for comment."

Sheesh.

Looks who's hiding info now.

:picard:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

https://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-news/2020/04/29/costco-canada-customers-will-need-to-wear-protective-face-coverings-starting-may-4th/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=costco0429&fbclid=IwAR13MMU6AzxyDII2Ofoa70NVgIFFo-sClRKEk8G--d5Al_l377AMIIat2Co

Since the original article was posted we've learned that the new policy will not be launched immediately at all warehouse stores, but rather with a slow roll out beginning on May 4, 2020. Which warehouse store(s) will be implementing the new policy at the beginning of the roll out is currently unknown to us. We will update this story as more information becomes available to us.

Should be true.

Maybe is speculation.  Nothing on Costco. ca   on the updated Covid info page.

https://www.costco.ca/coronavirus-response.html

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if stores go this route anyways.  I was shopping at T&T on the weekend and about 95% of the people there were wearing masks.

Requiring people to wear a scarf wrapped around their face....  does this really make sense ?

A link to a very long story regarding the difficulty of collecting accurate numbers, in the fight against Covid.

It's on MSN- I tried to post it all here, but it came out a mess.

worth a read though.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/how-accurate-is-us-covid-19-death-count-some-experts-say-off-by-tens-of-thousands/ar-BB13n5UY?ocid=spartandhp

The novel coronavirus has already claimed the lives of more than 58,000 Americans. But experts fear that number could be far higher at this point in the outbreak -- perhaps by tens of thousands -- once the pandemic subsides enough for officials to go back and make a true reckoning of the dead. 

Experts are urging leaders to take measures right now to preserve data and medical specimens so that science has the chance to determine the precise number of people who succumbed during one of the most severe global pandemics in memory.

Advertisement

“Under-counting deaths in this particular epidemic is happening all over,” said Dr. Daniel Lopez-Acuna, an epidemiologist and former top World Health Organization (WHO) official, who spent 30 years at the organization. "It’s almost inevitable." 

Calculating the precise number of COVID-19 deaths is remarkably complicated for a number of reasons. But leading epidemiologists, pathologists, medical examiners, medical history professors and local, state, federal and global health officials told ABC News that more testing is the single most important factor in determining an accurate national death count.

“We need to have the testing available because the big question now with COVID-19 is the denominator -- of anything,” said Dr. Alex Williamson of the College of American Pathologists. “How many people get it? How many people recover? How many are hospitalized? How many died? We don't know the true denominator. More testing is the most important thing we need to do.” 

MORE: Coronavirus death toll in US likely worse than numbers say

Ongoing testing kit shortages in cities and states nationwide means that only clearly symptomatic patients are currently being tested in many places. There also is no uniform national system in the U.S. for investigating deaths, and until two weeks ago, the U.S. was only counting Americans who lab-tested positive, before or after death, for COVID-19.

Left out of the tally are people who died without being tested and those who died at home or some other non-healthcare facilities before they could seek medical care. 

“It is an extraordinary challenge,” said Dr. Sally Aiken, president of the National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME). “There just isn't really the infrastructure.”

Further undermining an accurate national count are new analyses that suggest the virus was spreading in the U.S. much earlier than previously believed, likely playing a role in more deaths than currently known.

MORE: When each state's stay-at-home order lifts

California’s first known COVID-19 death to date was Patricia Cabello Dowd, 57, in Santa Clara County. Dowd died on Feb. 6 of heart complications, which were later determined to have been unleashed by the COVID-19 virus. Dowd's death — in which an autopsy obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle listed a heart rupture “due to Covid-19 infection” — came three weeks before the earliest previously identified American coronavirus-related death.

New data on cardiac arrest emergency calls reviewed by ABC News suggests that New York City’s catastrophic outbreak likely began in close-knit neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn as far back as mid-February.

………..

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Starting Friday all Costco stores in Illinois you will need to wear a mask.

I think costco will accept a losely tied scarf around your face that keeps slipping down every 2 minutes...

Strange policey.    First costco should maybe be selling masks at cost in front of the store.... if they actually cared about stopping transmission of the virus. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think costco will accept a losely tied scarf around your face that keeps slipping down every 2 minutes...

Strange policey.    First costco should maybe be selling masks at cost in front of the store.... if they actually cared about stopping transmission of the virus. 

Scarves, dart Vader helmets, ski masks, masks made out of bras and underwear etc.

You will see some strange stuff.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Requiring people to wear a scarf wrapped around their face....  does this really make sense ?

Why not?

I mean social distancing in a grocery market is damn near impossible.  Even if they tried to limit amount of customers in at a time.

At T&T, they even had a remote thermal scanner pointed at a your forehead before you can enter.  If you showed a fever, you were denied entry.

51 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

A fatal, catastrophic mistake. 

I was in here three weeks ago warning about the motives of some of these corporations.  Fast-forward. A week ago the United States cut off their funds to the WHO.   Coincidence I guess?

I want government to stop hiding important facts and to do a better job of educating people on nutrition.  Sue me 

IF you think they do enough then fine.  Clearly I'm in the minority here which is also fine, we can leave it at that.  No problem 

Government isn't in the business of educating people on nutrition...they oversee others who are though.  Dieticians, doctors, fitness experts are better sources of information.  

Healthy people get this virus.  Some get hit hard.  While being educated on nutrition is important, you're ignoring the part where it's in order to have an immune system that can respond to viruses.  Meaning you'd already have it.  Their attention was focused on trying to make sure not too many had it at the same time.  That was really important and we've done well..so not sure we should complain. 

I don't know that the Government's "hiding" facts either...they just have to be pretty sure of them in order to present them.  This "novel corona" virus was something new and they weren't going to just start spouting off...they're doing their due diligence in it all.  I'd prefer that.

What was a "fatal catastrophic mistake"?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really not sure how effective a scarf around your head that falls down every 2 minutes will be......  

To be fair...stores can't make you buy properly fitted masks.  So I guess something is better than nothing. 

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats the thing what if you don't have a mask especially since they are still scarce at this moment as people have bought them up?  Need to provide masks if thats the case.

• Cheers 1