The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Exactly. That’s the major unknown right now.

Does it come back and bite us in the a$$ once again, and again, and again if there is no cure and antibodies doesn’t work? 

Are the ones that already have it get “activated” at some point? How about the seemingly asymptomatic people who die suddenly...

Many questions, very few answers.

The only experience I can offer is my own, which is not based on a test, but based on my own opinion.  As a teacher, I get every virus that comes around and I've got a pretty good handle on how my body reacts to the seasonal virus' that come and go every year.  In late january/early Feb I was hit with a respiratory virius, the likes of which I had not experienced in my adult life.  I was bedlocked for 7 full days, barely able to get up to go to the bathroom, I barely ate and I was coughing non-stop for a week, struggling to breathe the whole time.  My high fever persisted for a solid 5 days and I slept (or tried to) for at least 16 hours a day in that time.  Once my fever broke and I was able to regain some regular functioning, I found that my body was having a hard time recovering.  I was unable to work out or exercise for any length of time and the fatigue on my body persisted for a long time.  My brain was also foggy for weeks after.  No one really had covid on the radar at this point, but all signs point to it as the likely culprit.

Jump ahead to the third week of March, in isolation for about 7 days by that point.  I start with a sore throat and heavy phlegm and I just chalk it up to a cold or flu.  Then it starts to move down into my chest and about 4 days in my lungs start burning like you wouldn't believe.  My temp goes up, but it's manaegeable with meds, but I am in a constant state of delirium........sometimes unsure of where I am, or where the last 15 mins went.  No coughing this time, but non stop phlegm and a feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest.  The fatigue was back heavy too.

I phoned 8-1-1 and they said unless I was unable to breathe to just ride it out at home.  So, no test to say whether it was Covid 19 or not, but I feel like it likely was,  The questions is............did I have it in january and it just sat dormant until march, or it did I get re-infected and just got a milder case of it?

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Not being a user of Social Media other than this very forum. Within a few minutes I can usually figure out a person that spends a lot of time on FB etc by their topics of conversation and often their opinions.

For the fun of it, I'd like to see if you get me right.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Either that or there won’t be any retirees left to pull from the fund in the first place.

that thought is terrifying.  I can't imagine losing that many people from that generation

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree, I see no way to survive this depression on the backs of tax payers and the working man.  

I don't think thats the right analogy. It would be like if the bank erased your mortgage, but also took your house anyway. That debt is someone elses investment, we cant just erase it. 

If you're simply talking about one country erasing cash loans to other countries thats one thing, but its not where most of our debt is. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think thats the right analogy. It would be like if the bank erased your mortgage, but also took your house anyway. That debt is someone elses investment, we cant just erase it. 

If you're simply talking about one country erasing cash loans to other countries thats one thing, but its not where most of our debt is. 

I'm talking more abut the national debt accrued to make sure everyone is able to withstand this time.

that said, I'm fully on board for a wipe the slate clean action..........I couldnt care less what corporations/big banks who hold the mortgages, credit card debt feel about it

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

The only experience I can offer is my own, which is not based on a test, but based on my own opinion.  As a teacher, I get every virus that comes around and I've got a pretty good handle on how my body reacts to the seasonal virus' that come and go every year.  In late january/early Feb I was hit with a respiratory virius, the likes of which I had not experienced in my adult life.  I was bedlocked for 7 full days, barely able to get up to go to the bathroom, I barely ate and I was coughing non-stop for a week, struggling to breathe the whole time.  My high fever persisted for a solid 5 days and I slept (or tried to) for at least 16 hours a day in that time.  Once my fever broke and I was able to regain some regular functioning, I found that my body was having a hard time recovering.  I was unable to work out or exercise for any length of time and the fatigue on my body persisted for a long time.  My brain was also foggy for weeks after.  No one really had covid on the radar at this point, but all signs point to it as the likely culprit.

Jump ahead to the third week of March, in isolation for about 7 days by that point.  I start with a sore throat and heavy phlegm and I just chalk it up to a cold or flu.  Then it starts to move down into my chest and about 4 days in my lungs start burning like you wouldn't believe.  My temp goes up, but it's manaegeable with meds, but I am in a constant state of delirium........sometimes unsure of where I am, or where the last 15 mins went.  No coughing this time, but non stop phlegm and a feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest.  The fatigue was back heavy too.

I phoned 8-1-1 and they said unless I was unable to breathe to just ride it out at home.  So, no test to say whether it was Covid 19 or not, but I feel like it likely was,  The questions is............did I have it in january and it just sat dormant until march, or it did I get re-infected and just got a milder case of it?

Seems odd to me that you couldn't get tested after all that.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Seems odd to me that you couldn't get tested after all that.  

In january, when I was hit hard, it wasn't even on the radar.  In march, if you weren't being admitted to hospital, no test

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

In january, when I was hit hard, it wasn't even on the radar.  In march, if you weren't being admitted to hospital, no test

In October my brother in law drove a bus load of Chinese exchange students.  He spent November and December sick.  Now he's wondering what he had as well. 

I hope your okay now .

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

In October my brother in law drove a bus load of Chinese exchange students.  He spent November and December sick.  Now he's wondering what he had as well. 

I hope your okay now .

I'm past thre sick part of it now, though my lungs aren't in good shape and I'm still dealing with a lot of phlegm, though that might be allergies from being in blooming orchards every day.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I really think I got it while I was in Vancouver for Sedin night, because for a week or so I had the symptoms and it wasn’t like any cold/flu I had before. 

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I should clarify that I mean't conversations in person, though it's often pretty obvious here online too. 

But i don't mind being wrong, so I"ll take a crack at it.

I know very little about you... but , I'll guess option 'D'

Close C :P

Although you may be predicting the future because I do have a very inactive Instagram account but may start using it as it seems one of a few ways that my students will respond to messages (...yes...even texting is become too cumbersome with teenagers)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm talking more abut the national debt accrued to make sure everyone is able to withstand this time.

that said, I'm fully on board for a wipe the slate clean action..........I couldnt care less what corporations/big banks who hold the mortgages, credit card debt feel about it

So what happens when debt holders go out of business and millions of people that work for banks, insurance, credit, mortgage companies etc. become unemployed?

Also where are you going to get money to buy a house or a car? Cash only?

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

So what happens when debt holders go out of business and millions of people that work for banks, insurance, credit, mortgage companies etc. become unemployed?

wiping out all debt has a long history throughout major civilizations throughout the world.  The Romans did it every 50 years or so.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The won't go out of business, you just start again, fresh.  You don't wipe out the institutions.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

f7cffd1.jpg

This is something that I have thought about as well as I have seen images being posted online. You can get way more hits by from a picture by sensationalizing it. Its easy to create the illusion that people are being dangerously reckless, when in actuality they are following guidelines. Nature of the click bait world we live in, where someone apparently doing something wrong gets a lot more attention and media coverage than everyone else. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 3