The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

6 hours ago, Harvey Specter said:

If the reports are true, I think a sub-$1.2M/YR contract will be a steal for Hamonic for what he brings both from a replacement and upgrade standpoint. Despite him being pegged as a 3rd pairing right now, I can see him jumping up to a 2nd pairing if he can gel with his new defensive-corp, or even an occasional first-pairing when he needs to back-up his tired teammates on an extended shift or the like. 

So, sending a NHL contract like Louii or Baer or ?? to the Taxi squad / AHL,

Saves $1M off the cap, that alone covers Hamonic's contract! Perfect!

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

So, the canucks are 1.5 million over cap with

15 f

6d

2g

Ferland on LTIR brings the canucks 2 million in cap space

14fwds

Eriksson & Baertschi each give 1.050 mil cap when papered to the AHL

12 F with 4.1 in cap space

Hamonic 800-1.200

Oj around 900k

Hoglander around 900k

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat JV 

Hoglander Gaudette Macewan 

Motte Beagle Roussel 

Sutter

Hughes Myers 

Edler Schmidt 

Oj Hamonic 

Benn

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Now THAT has me excited!

I would be tipping Baer as favorite. It will be immensely positive if Hogz wins the spot! 

Related; I read some articles tipping Virtanen as most likely to play with Petey & Miller. My observation is Jakes did improve his puck possession skills notably last year. Not possession stats. Someone else can comment there? The acts of stickhandling, protecting the puck, making plays...  But I still do not see that as his strength. Which I thought would be a must with EP? He does have the shot. I still dont see the cycle game or net crashing. I thought his speed, size for checking & North / South game, body for match ups and affinity for stealing pucks? Would be naturals for Jake playing with Horvat!

But the articles indicated EP's productivity went up when playing with Jake.  Goals per 60, possession time in offensive end, etc., by memory. And Horvat's went down. And by more playing with Virtanen...

Seems Jake has the inside track on top line. What are your thoughts?

I'd be shocked if Baer isn't on the taxi squad. Personally I'd say Hoglander has a better shot.

One would assume Virtanen would be a better fit on Horvat's line, I agree. But for whatever reason, reality/stats didn't seem to bare that out.

As for our RW 'conundrum'. I'd imagine Green may cycle through Boeser, Virtanen and (if he makes it) Hoglander on all the lines throughout the season, until/if someone demands remaining in one spot. I'm just happy that, reportedly, Jake appears to actually be focused on being a legit option for once.

54 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hirschy loves 'im!

A Brandon Sutter in the sense of character! A great move by the organization; a winger away from being a contender now...

"Defensive Brandon Sutter" :huh:

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think this years trade deadline is going to be abnormally active with the upcoming expansion draft. I expect the Canucks to do another Toffoli type trade. 

I expect we'll pick up a D in the summer.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think this years trade deadline is going to be abnormally active with the upcoming expansion draft. I expect the Canucks to do another Toffoli type trade. 

Can't edit.. Stupid board.

We may actually end up selling some of Pearson, Sutter or Benn at the TDL.

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

How much you want to bet Hamonic signs for exactly $1,075,000? ;)

Waive Benn (taxi) and it's completely cap neutral. Done.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

Could be harder to make trades this year if players have to quarantine to cross the border. I cant imagine american teams trading with canadian teams if the player isn’t available for potentially 5 games, and with how close the Canadian division should be there probably wont be any sellers at the deadline

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Could be harder to make trades this year if players have to quarantine to cross the border. I cant imagine american teams trading with canadian teams if the player isn’t available for potentially 5 games, and with how close the Canadian division should be there probably wont be any sellers at the deadline

Honestly didn't think of that aspect of it at all. Fair point. 

50 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

33 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Honestly didn't think of that aspect of it at all. Fair point. 

Hopefully by TDL, vaccines etc are having enough effect that maybe that opens up a bit.

Craig Button seemed a little less enthusiastic about the signing. Said he can help on the 3rd pair but his skating has taken a step back from where it was. Likened him to a Luke Schenn type. 

Personally I'm optimistic. He still played a pretty big role last year, and the year before he was very good. He's had time off to get healthy. It feels similar to the Zack Bogosian situation when he signed with Tampa. 

Maybe a good fit will help Hamonic regain form, or maybe hes just a good 3rd pair PK guy, but either way we could use the depth & you can't complain with the price tag.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Craig Button seemed a little less enthusiastic about the signing. Said he can help on the 3rd pair but his skating has taken a step back from where it was. Likened him to a Luke Schenn type. 

Personally I'm optimistic. He still played a pretty big role last year, and the year before he was very good. He's had time off to get healthy. It feels similar to the Zack Bogosian situation when he signed with Tampa. 

Maybe a good fit will help Hamonic regain form, or maybe hes just a good 3rd pair PK guy, but either way we could use the depth & you can't complain with the price tag.

I'd take the Schenn that played with Hughes.  Perfect skillset for this group.

Edited by King Heffy