The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Never understood the obsession some folks have with Tryamkin. He was a decent bottom pairing player but Myers is a bonafide 2nd pairing defenceman and I don’t care what anybody says. The Canucks clearly missed him when he was out last season. 

Tryamkin had me when he leaned on Getzlaf and Benn and made them look like little Foosball players. Love Tryamkin and he would be a difference maker back in the lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Tryamkin had me when he leaned on Getzlaf and Benn and made them look like little Foosball players. Love Tryamkin and he would be a difference maker back in the lineup. 

I don't think so.  He was an ok dman and I liked his size and strength, but he was never going to be a difference maker, imo

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yeah, well, being 6’8 will have that effect. He was never overly physical. Guys would bounce off of him because he was so big but once he broke Brad Richardson’s leg I genuinely think he felt bad and dialed back his aggressiveness. He never struck me as having much of a mean streak. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Hamonic being on a PTO says that's a lie:lol:

I don't get the Myers hate, he wants to be here, makes the team and players around him better, took less to sign here, a giant righty d man.

Look at when Myers came back vs Vegas and squished tuch a few times and suddenly tuch wasn't skating circles around the canucks d zone.

I'm of the clothe that righty d play on the right side and lefty d men play the left.

So, I see it as the left D stack up like,

Hughes

Schmidt 

Edler

OJ 

Benn

Schmidt has probably the most experience playing his off side of the group, so he slides over to the right side.

Edler would be a candidate, but leave gramps alone !

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

OJ Hamonic

AND.. There was an article written maybe 2 months back about Virtanen spending every day at Myers' house exercising and working out. If Myers can actually have Virtanen in shape to start training camp, then this guy has done what no one else could! and the team will be better off for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

If he works out this will arguably be the best defence core the Canucks have ever had .

Fully agree, after watching this team for over 3 decades we have never had a d man like Hughes, ever. Seen many other teams have key d men like Neidermeyer,Leetch,Housley,Coffey,Bourque,Zubov etc. Having a player on your team like this is Huge! Hamhuis was good but he was not the offensive threat like the above mentioned. Not even close. Same with Lumme.

Another player we have never had on this team is Meyers. Yes we have had aggressive dmen before but none that could also put up offensive numbers. Think Byfuglin or Pronger and not Murzn or Alberts.

Many of our dmen over the years have been "one dimensional" and lacked a full game. 

Salo, had a killer shot but was slow and was not very aggressive. He tended to be injured at key times as well.

Bieksa, was aggressive but lacked any real offensive threat. Jovo? The same. 

Having a top prospect and a top minute dman as your 5th and 6th in depth, is a luxury I have never seen on this team before. 

The real test is going to be playoff success and a chance for these guys to at least play a few NHL games together. 

Having 1 or 2 of these key pieces to the puzzle on your d core is great, having all of them at once? Thats an exciting prospect I cannot wait to see how it pans out. This is definitely a great time to be a Canuck fan for sure. 

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This defence was definitely the best ever.  

Mention should also go out to the goalie when analyzing a teams defence. Luongo was arguably the greatest Canuck goalie ever. 

2011 was the greatest team ever assembled in Canuck history. That team dominated the NHL in every aspect.

Still a painful memory re how it all crumbled in game 7 of the Finals.  :sadno:

Linden , Bure , Mclean and the rest of the 94 Canucks say Hi! :towel: This team never "crumbled" in game 7, they gave EVERYTHING they had right until the very end. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Thing is with this pandemic going on. It’s way more complicated to just bounce from team to team. Another 7 or 14 day quarantine will delay his season. And his list probably consists of western Canadian teams. 

ya true... and I have a feeling he does want to play with us being on the west coast closer to his family.... can't wait to see him bang & crash!

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We also have no impending 3C's on the farm.  Anywhere in the system for that matter.  

Unless Costmar has NHL ready strength and stamina?

Most & extremely generous scenario is next year; don't even believe he is signed yet.

I dont see us giving up on Gaudette as a pivot.  And there have been zero signs of it to date.

There simply is not any other young pivot in our system ready to ascend in to his, Beagle, or Sutters minutes. We could play Miller as 3C?  But that emasculates this whole top 6 wing discussion.   Which is already an issue, people fearing Boeser / Jake is not good enough on our right side already...

So I doubt we see a lot of Gaudette at wing. Top 6 or otherwise.

FWIW:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Linden , Bure , Mclean and the rest of the 94 Canucks say Hi! :towel: This team never "crumbled" in game 7, they gave EVERYTHING they had right until the very end. 

As much as I love my black red n’ yellow ‘94 Canucks, they were a Cinderella team.

The 2011 team was drastically better and was built on much stronger assets.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Never understood the obsession some folks have with Tryamkin. He was a decent bottom pairing player but Myers is a bonafide 2nd pairing defenceman and I don’t care what anybody says. The Canucks clearly missed him when he was out last season. 

Absolutely.   We were a different team whenever he was on the ice.  Better the Eagle IMO.   People need to understand what could happen if we lose him to the ED.   He’s every bit as important as Hamhuis was to our 2011 team, or Diduck was to our 94 team.  Leave the guy alone.   If we lose him we’d better freaking pray that Rafferty is up to the task.   Seems highly unlikely given Myers resume doesn’t it?   Good grief.  Great teammate - he’s helping JV figure it out this off season.  Loves BC.   And plays his friggen heart out.   For me at least, he was in the top level of guys that impressed during the playoffs.. up there with Motte, EP, QHs etc..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

As much as I love my black red n’ yellow ‘94 Canucks, they were a Cinderella team.

The 94 team won a lot more playoff series though .. when it mattered the most they did it starting in 1989...

Edit: And they weren’t as Cinderella as the media made them.   Their regular season didn’t follow the same script as 93 did ... but if you take the loser points out of our two barely Presidents trophy teams they weren’t much better , same with the WCE teams.  I’d say they were marginally - not drastically- better teams.   Especially when you consider the competition in a much smaller league back then.   And playoff wins matter more anyways.  Not regular seasons ones. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Stats wise you would think so but the same outcome occured didn't it. Where the 94' team lacked skill they made up for in heart, determination and character. This shows it takes more then just skill to win a championship. 

The 94' team played like a "Team". The 2011 team lost a couple of players and they all fell apart, they needed all of their skill and without it, they were rendered useless. Their game 7 they couldn't even muster up a legitimate fight. It was embarrassing.

You would think 2 of the best offensive players this team has ever seen AND arguably the best goalie we have ever had(as some as posters have stated), we could have mustered up enough to win 2 of the last 5 games of that series. 

The 2011 team struggled throughout the entire playoffs and were almost eliminated prior to the final. They were pretty dominant in the REGULAR SEASON though. ::D

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.  He was an ok dman and I liked his size and strength, but he was never going to be a difference maker, imo

Difference maker may be a exaggerated. But know one has handled those two like Try. I specifically remember the looks on Benn and Getzlaf when Try leaned on them and rubbed them out. They definitely played different when Try was on the ice. If you can temper two of the top western power forwards, I lean towards difference maker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Yeah, well, being 6’8 will have that effect. He was never overly physical. Guys would bounce off of him because he was so big but once he broke Brad Richardson’s leg I genuinely think he felt bad and dialed back his aggressiveness. He never struck me as having much of a mean streak. 

I agree for sure as he isn't a mean player. But Try's shear strength was on display against big power forwards the Canucks have always had issues with. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Baer may very well be a dark horse.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yup! For what its worth?

Hey, we had Sutter there for a few games, a few years ago...

Looking like Hoglander with the inside track at the moment...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree for sure as he isn't a mean player. But Try's shear strength was on display against big power forwards the Canucks have always had issues with. 

For sure. Past Canuck teams struggled against the heavier, Pacific Division teams and for years us fans clamoured for more size up and down the lineup. Hence the Gudbranson trade. That being said, the league is constantly evolving and the winning formula changes on a yearly basis. Mobility, speed, and skill throughout the entire lineup are crucial in today’s game and the way the Canucks are drafting and acquiring players meets those needs. Tryamkin is a typical stay at home defenceman with above average mobility but he’s not a missing piece that will get this team any further than they already can without him. Having him here means a sparing role for OJ and he needs to play a lot this year because his game is better suited for today’s NHL, especially developing alongside a Travis Hamonic who is IMO the perfect partner for him outside say Chris Tanev. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I hope we smash this division. Might be able too with Rathbone, Hoglander standing out early in camp, jake  being attentive, and the add of the hamburgler. (I know thats hammonds nickname but im borrowing it :P)

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Now THAT has me excited!

I would be tipping Baer as favorite. It will be immensely positive if Hogz wins the spot! 

Related; I read some articles tipping Virtanen as most likely to play with Petey & Miller. My observation is Jakes did improve his puck possession skills notably last year. Not possession stats. Someone else can comment there? The acts of stickhandling, protecting the puck, making plays...  But I still do not see that as his strength. Which I thought would be a must with EP? He does have the shot. I still dont see the cycle game or net crashing. I thought his speed, size for checking & North / South game, body for match ups and affinity for stealing pucks? Would be naturals for Jake playing with Horvat!

But the articles indicated EP's productivity went up when playing with Jake.  Goals per 60, possession time in offensive end, etc., by memory. And Horvat's went down. And by more playing with Virtanen...

Seems Jake has the inside track on top line. What are your thoughts?