The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

15 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I don't get the Myers hate, he wants to be here, makes the team and players around him better, took less to sign here, a giant righty d man.

Look at when Myers came back vs Vegas and squished tuch a few times and suddenly tuch wasn't skating circles around the canucks d zone.

I think it's just his cap hit that many (such as myself) who have difficulty with considering what tangables he brings. Yes, he's a big man who has some skills, but 6m is a lot to pay for a guy who is only ok defensively, and perhaps already declining offensively (and was only above average to start with).

I honestly believe we could replicate everything Myers brings with Trymkin, for a fraction of the price.

With all that said, I don't think Hamonic is anywhere close to as good as Myers. He had a poor last season and should come much cheaper than his prior contract. He is, however, a relatively steady defensive presence we need to fill out the d corps, and will help on the PK.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

U dont reckon there are direct flights to NY from Winnipeg? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_James_Armstrong_Richardson_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

54 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Hamonic being on a PTO says that's a lie:lol:

I don't get the Myers hate, he wants to be here, makes the team and players around him better, took less to sign here, a giant righty d man.

Look at when Myers came back vs Vegas and squished tuch a few times and suddenly tuch wasn't skating circles around the canucks d zone.

I'm of the clothe that righty d play on the right side and lefty d men play the left.

So, I see it as the left D stack up like,

Hughes

Schmidt 

Edler

OJ 

Benn

Schmidt has probably the most experience playing his off side of the group, so he slides over to the right side.

Edler would be a candidate, but leave gramps alone !

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

OJ Hamonic

Edler's been tried on his off side before and it didn't work well.  Usually it's easier for an offensive defenseman to make the switch.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I don't get the Myers hate

I loved, still do, the Myers signing. Cheered for it before it happened. Let out a big hoot when it did!

Does not mean we cannot acquire players who cannot be just, or more effective...

I also whooped it up with the Schmidt & Hamonic arrivals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I think it's just his cap hit that many (such as myself) who have difficulty with considering what tangables he brings. Yes, he's a big man who has some skills, but 6m is a lot to pay for a guy who is only ok defensively, and perhaps already declining offensively (and was only above average to start with).

I honestly believe we could replicate everything Myers brings with Trymkin, for a fraction of the price.

With all that said, I don't think Hamonic is anywhere close to as good as Myers. He had a poor last season and should come much cheaper than his prior contract. He is, however, a relatively steady defensive presence we need to fill out the d corps, and will help on the PK.

Some of the intangibles he brings like running a mini workout regime at home with Virtanen etc.

Being a giant 1million bonus!

Being right handed top ufa d man of a ufa period@? 1 MILLION! :lol:

I like the idea of Tryamkin coming back to the current group of Hughes, Edler, Myers, Schmidt, OJ...

I don't think Tryamkin would be happy here with issues and comments he's made in the past. I don't think Tryamkin has the same hustle as Myers. Also LHD v.s. RHD

But man, that would be a scary core :o

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

OJ Tryamkin

Benn Hamonic

Podkolzin + Tryamkin + WOOOOOOO + picks

For

Seider + Rasmussen :ph34r:

This has the potential to shape up as one of our best defensive cores ever. May not be too mobile, with Hughes being our only 40+ point (in an 82 game schedule) scorer, but we've got Myers, Edler and Schmidt who can all pass well and could rack up 20-30 points. Juolevi will be huge - if he can put up some points then we're really well balanced.

Regardless, we've got some serious grit on our blueline now and all the guys can skate well. Expect to see this of course:

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty/Brisebois/Rafferty/Chatfield/Woo

Hughes, maybe a bit of Edler/Myers/Juolevi on the PP

Schmidt, Edler, Myers and Hamonic on the PK rotation

Everyone in that top-4 can play 20-25 minutes easily, hopefully Edler will take a step back around 18-20 minutes but he can still log them. Schmidt will hopefully be our top minute man in his prime now and Hughes can log loads of easier PP minutes. Myers will be around the 20 minute mark comfortably and Hamonic on our bottom pairing can easily play 20 minutes which is a nice comfort to have. Juolevi will be eased in, probably around 16 minutes to start and go from there.

Having the depth is key because playing every second night will wear on the players and it might be worthwhile working Benn and one of the other kids into the rotation every now and then to give the guys a night off here or there. Having Hamonic allows this - Green could give Schmidt a night where he plays bottom pairing 15 minutes and Hamonic plays 22 minutes. We've got some flexibility, not just in case of injury, but with such a harsh schedule coming up we need to be able to play it smart - especially with Edler.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

4 hours ago, Iggynucks said:

I don’t get the hate for Myers either. D-men always come at an inflated price and his price tag wasn’t even that bad. Not spectacular at anything but either strong or solid in most situations. For whatever reason, Canuck fans always need a yearly whipping boy though. 

We always need at least one defenseman to blame all our problems on. Myers has the fattest contract while not really being a number 1 D-men so he gets the dubious honor.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I'm of the clothe that righty d play on the right side and lefty d men play the left.

So, I see it as the left D stack up like,

Hughes

Schmidt 

Edler

OJ 

Benn

Schmidt has probably the most experience playing his off side of the group, so he slides over to the right side.

Edler would be a candidate, but leave gramps alone !

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

OJ Hamonic

TBF to Hamonic - (1) it's likely a deal is already agreed but just needing to wait for Ferland to go on LTIR and (2) Covid-19 kinda messed up the whole money dollars situation so i don't think in a normal year he'd be a PTO-quality player (a la Peter Schaefer bless him). 

Having said that, I would take Myers over Hamonic all day. 

• Cheers 2

If the reports are true, I think a sub-$1.2M/YR contract will be a steal for Hamonic for what he brings both from a replacement and upgrade standpoint. Despite him being pegged as a 3rd pairing right now, I can see him jumping up to a 2nd pairing if he can gel with his new defensive-corp, or even an occasional first-pairing when he needs to back-up his tired teammates on an extended shift or the like. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I wasn’t a fan of signing another vet on the d-side but have warmed up to Hamonic deal. He has the ability to move up tp top 4 and the LD3 spot is still open for prospects. With the compressed schedule the prospects should still get their games. Schmidt, Edler, Myers and Hamonic can all play a heavy game. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I wasn’t a fan of signing another vet on the d-side but have warmed up to Hamonic deal. He has the ability to move up tp top 4 and the LD3 spot is still open for prospects. With the compressed schedule the prospects should still get their games. Schmidt, Edler, Myers and Hamonic can all play a heavy game. 

It might be better in Canada but I think we’ll see covid run roughshod on organizational depth. Look at what happened in the NFL with the Broncos’ quarterbacks and Saints’ running backs. One player gets sick and now 4 have to isolate. 

7 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

me neither. He had the 2nd best stats on exits/entries after Hughes. He also showed his physical play when it mattered (despite the ref's).

7 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

OJ Hamonic

I'm guessing we'll see:

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

OJ-Myers

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

me neither. He had the 2nd best stats on exits/entries after Hughes. He also showed his physical play when it mattered (despite the ref's).

I'm guessing we'll see:

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

OJ-Myers

I like the looks of that.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm guessing we'll see:

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

OJ-Myers

Fair enough, i don't think Hamonic should be in the top 4 over Myers though

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Fair enough, i don't think Hamonic should be in the top 4 over Myers though

I kind of see it more like 3 groups of really good 2nd pairs. We could have a legit "top" pair in Hughes-Schmidt, but I think Green will want to have 50 minutes of excellent puck moving over two pairs, vs. 22-25 for one uber pairing.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I kind of see it more like 3 groups of really good 2nd pairs. We could have a legit "top" pair in Hughes-Schmidt, but I think Green will want to have 50 minutes of excellent puck moving over two pairs, vs. 22-25 for one uber pairing.

Hard to say.   A Hughes Schmidt pairing is definitely worth a look.   It could be mostly about scoring but after some time together also about just getting the puck the f!ck out of our zone, which both players do extremely well IF they have back-up from the forwards to re-gain possession. 

Im in favour of this, but it probably will take some time:

Hughes Schmidt 

Edler Myers 

OJ Hamonic 

This will have more to do with OJ more then anything.  If his 7 minutes of play is like what he always does then we have 4 guys on 3 lines that can successfully get the puck out of our zone ... Bomber needs to stop asking them to play like he did.. time to unleash the beast ..

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1