The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

On 2/9/2022 at 12:10 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

You can never predict cases like Hamonic to be fair so no one's fault really but the pandemic. Realistically if he does return to play he'll be a massive internal boost for us, play alongside Hughes and be huge for our penalty kill, drop Schenn down to our 3rd pairing and suddenly we have some great depth again.

We can't play another season like this though where he's in and out (mostly out) of our lineup. Management had some big discussions with him at the start of the season which has ended up not productive for anyone as he's still in limbo. If he doesn't want to play, fine, then we need to spend that 3M on a top-4 defenceman. To be fair his money doesn't contribute to our cap, but it could be spent elsewhere. We're only going to have OEL, Myers and Hughes signed as defencemen next season. I wonder if we look towards the UFAs for help (Zadorov, Ristolainen for the right side for 5-6M?). Luongo's dead cap of 3M comes off the books too...

Hamonic was injured in the Boston game in November and is just returning to skating.  Where is the report that he is refusing to play or did you just make that up?

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I think you misunderstand the idiom "water under the bridge".  It doesn't mean that nothing bad happened, it means that it happened, it's in the past, and there's nothing we can do about it now.  We should learn as much as we can from the past but not dwell on it.  I like the play of Burroughs, but we could use the extra depth of Hamonic and Poolman.  Are they perfect?  No.  Would they make us a better team, healthy and in the lineup?  Most likely.  They are after all still Canucks players and useful ones at that.  Do we need to make upgrades?  Maybe.  But right now we have to focus on winning games with what we have.  GCG!

The year is shot with the start we had period. With the play of Calgary and all the teams with games in hand on us, getting into a WC spot is a longshot. With the revamp of coaching staff and head office, lets be honest and look towards 2023. Does this mean we give up; no. But, lets not hold on to dead weight if we have the potential to move it.

As such, hamonic has hurt the team more than helped it this year. In addition, during his Canucks tenure, he has shown avialibility issue other than covid ones. I hope he plays this week and well for the rest of the month, then gets moved at TDL. The $$ are more useful than him at this point. In addition, if we can find somone to take on Poolman, we do that too. Free up the cash to get a one difference maker versus one meh and one unavailable player.

Edited by BC_Hawk

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The province is reporting that Hamonic is now ready to return.  Boudreau says he will be a game time decision on Saturday and will definitely play next week.

For his contract, he dan be a valuable player.  IMO he’s dumb though.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

For his contract, he dan be a valuable player.  IMO he’s dumb though.  

Well, that nonsense about not wanting to get vaxxed obviously wasn't a sign of intelligence. But that's history now, and regardless, he is a useful player who would improve the team by helping to fill the biggest hole in the lineup. I am really looking forward to seeing him back, and I am hoping it's tomorrow.

Edited by WeneedLumme

On 2/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, AK_19 said:

Don't we have Poolman and Schenn signed for next year as well? At the moment, (assuming Hamonic is AWOL again) our d next year looks like:

Hughes Schenn

OEL Myers

Rathbone Poolman

We've got a log jam of mediocre D. The only way I see us changing our d-core is through trade.

Agreed, I'm all for trying to improve the quality of our top D.

Something like Miller for Schneider then flip Poolman for a 3rd round pick or worse.

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, I'm all for trying to improve the quality of our top D.

Something like Miller for Schneider then flip Poolman for a 3rd round pick or worse.

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Is Schneider a top pairing D? From what I can tell, he's only played 10 games in the NHL.

Not a easy game for Hamonic against pure offense team like TML, but he did okay and i'm glad he s back.
Hope Hughes joins soon and we could balance the ice time through the D corps.
we can't keep both Burroughs and Hunt in the lineup. although netiher of them played bad, but we have to replace at least one of them with a NHL calibre Dman.
i keep Burroughs over Hunt. i may even keep Burroughs over Poolman. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 2/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, -AJ- said:

Is Schneider a top pairing D? From what I can tell, he's only played 10 games in the NHL.

Maybe not right away but he's filling in at the moment and playing in their top-4 at the moment, playing 20+ minutes right now and already contributing. He was drafted highly and if this is how he's starting his NHL career (in a top team's top-4) then he's no-doubt going to slide into our top-4 with ease. We've basically got Schenn playing with Hughes right now - Schenn was Tampa's 6-7th guy last year and he's on our top pairing with Hughes. Schneider would be a massive upgrade on Schenn but mainly in the future and I bet by next season he'd be a staple up there.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maybe not right away but he's filling in at the moment and playing in their top-4 at the moment, playing 20+ minutes right now and already contributing. He was drafted highly and if this is how he's starting his NHL career (in a top team's top-4) then he's no-doubt going to slide into our top-4 with ease. We've basically got Schenn playing with Hughes right now - Schenn was Tampa's 6-7th guy last year and he's on our top pairing with Hughes. Schneider would be a massive upgrade on Schenn but mainly in the future and I bet by next season he'd be a staple up there.

Do you know what's happened recently? I see him playing 20+ minutes for his final three games, but he hasn't played for the Rangers since Feb 1. Has he been sent back down? Injured?

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Do you know what's happened recently? I see him playing 20+ minutes for his final three games, but he hasn't played for the Rangers since Feb 1. Has he been sent back down? Injured?

Injured against Boston but previously wasn't sure about playing due to Covid.

I think going forward he remains a bit of an unknown with his kid but when he's in the lineup he's a solid 20+ minute guy.

On 2/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, -AJ- said:

Legit top pairing D prospects are not available. You have to draft RD or trade for prospects that are not slam dunks but may turn into one. 

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Legit top pairing D prospects are not available. You have to draft RD or trade for prospects that are not slam dunks but may turn into one. 

Yeah, I guess I was just confused as to why he was being penciled in as a top pairing guy already as of right now.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Hamonic pretty much the one right shot d we should keep?  

i always liked him and glad he was signed for two years.

Myers did well, i would keep both (you don't teach size). 
clearly i have Hughes OEL Myers Hamonic to build around.
with Rathbone and Burroughs we may have our main D squad.
WE HAVE TO DUMP POOLMAN. 

8 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i always liked him and glad he was signed for two years.

Myers did well, i would keep both (you don't teach size). 
clearly i have Hughes OEL Myers Hamonic to build around.
with Rathbone and Burroughs we may have our main D squad.
WE HAVE TO DUMP POOLMAN. 

Rathbone, Hughes and Burroughs is a very small D corps

• Vintage 1