The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I honestly don't think Pettersson is lacking confidence in himself, he appears to me to be unhappy. He's not battling like he used to, not putting in that extra D effort. Never see him smiling much anymore. I wonder if the off season changes have really affected him more than we know. Maybe he doesn't get along with the extrovert Schmidt? Maybe he misses having Marky around? I was watching him last night and I saw a player who isn't struggling because he can't. It looks like he's not giving his best. 

interesting that you bring up Schmidt.

A few thoughts on him

If he was traded to Edmonton or Calgary there would have been a chorus of fans saying " I don't want the Druggie around our young impressionable stars" 

But not a peep.

Then there was his mic'ed practice, very similar to the mic'ed Miller practice from the Summer,  except Miller had established himself and it was Schmidt's first day and more over the top. Maybe the team does not need a Miller and a Miller3.0

Also, the Canucks have been very firm on have 3 left shot and 3 right shot D-men and suddenly Schmidt is a lefty playing the right side.

and finally his style of play seem like it would be best suited to play beside Chris Tanev, rather than instead of Chris Tanev, which could be said for all our L shot d-men except maybe Ol Eddy

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I honestly don't think Pettersson is lacking confidence in himself, he appears to me to be unhappy. He's not battling like he used to, not putting in that extra D effort. Never see him smiling much anymore. I wonder if the off season changes have really affected him more than we know. Maybe he doesn't get along with the extrovert Schmidt? Maybe he misses having Marky around? I was watching him last night and I saw a player who isn't struggling because he can't. It looks like he's not giving his best. 

Tbh it could be. I think the main issue going on in the locker room is how everything was handled. Not being in touch with Tanev, stalling talks with Toffoli and Marky, and now again stalling talks with Green, it really isn't a good look. It's one thing when you don't resign players that have been with the org for a long time and have positively impacted the org over the years, but it's another thing when you sort of disrespect them in free agency. That could be something that our star players may be thinking about, but I guess we'll never really know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 4

5 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Tbh it could be. I think the main issue going on in the locker room is how everything was handled. Not being in touch with Tanev, stalling talks with Toffoli and Marky, and now again stalling talks with Green, it really isn't a good look. It's one thing when you don't resign players that have been with the org for a long time and have positively impacted the org over the years, but it's another thing when you sort of disrespect them in free agency. That could be something that our star players may be thinking about, but I guess we'll never really know. 

kind of like the Hamhius thingy

Yeah, the team really is like one big family. Marky and Tanev played a huge role. But it is a business, the kids know this.

Even though Demko faced 35 (?) shots last night, which is way too many for OTT, I thought Demko finally looked dialed in. He was sharp, and that one goal was a fluke off his head. If the Canucks can tighten up that D (they looked better too, especially Benn), and get solid goaltending, they might win more games than not. That can change morale in a hurry, WINS

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

How did canucks disrespect them by not signing them? Benning and Travis repeatedly said they are very happy for them that they got a great deal they deserved. It was unfortunate they couldn't sign them based on the cap situation and long term deals over the next few years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

How did canucks disrespect them by not signing them? Benning and Travis repeatedly said they are very happy for them that they got a great deal they deserved. It was unfortunate they couldn't sign them based on the cap situation and long term deals over the next few years. 

Didn't Benning completely ignore Tanev, Stetch, and Toffoli though? I get not signing them, but there still should be some sort of communication. 

1 hour ago, KingRaj91 said:

I don't think that's a factor in any way.  These guys are professional hockey players.........they've been dealing with that kind of thing since they were in Jr.  I do think there's a leadership vacuum from losing Tanev and Marky, but not how it went down.  Players know business is business

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

exactly, there was no disrespect

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

It isn't a huge stretch to suggest Tanev and Makry could've been soured especially based on the reports the Canucks were putting their negotiations on hold while they pursued OEL which Benning spent his energy on right up until the deadline. If Tanev and Marky were never going to be re-signed regardless of the OEL deal, that's sort of a big miss by Benning not to relay that to two guys who maybe felt they should command a bit more respect than that.

25 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Didn't Benning completely ignore Tanev, Stetch, and Toffoli though? I get not signing them, but there still should be some sort of communication. 

I am willing to bet there was a lot of communication between JB and the players agents but we just are not privy to those conversations

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well one can only hope that the victory has at least boosted their confidence somewhat, but lets face it beating the lowly Senators is nothing great, if they manage to sweep the 3 game series then perhaps that can be considered a stepping stone but until they can compete with the "real" contenders of their division. this series only serves to lift them off the bottom of the ladder and separate themselves from the Sens...

Their crap record in back to backs will be evident again tonight unless some miracle or hockey god intervention happens...if the Nucks manage a loser point from tonight it will be a minor miracle

26 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Well one can only hope that the victory has at least boosted their confidence somewhat, but lets face it beating the lowly Senators is nothing great, if they manage to sweep the 3 game series then perhaps that can be considered a stepping stone but until they can compete with the "real" contenders of their division. this series only serves to lift them off the bottom of the ladder and separate themselves from the Sens...

Their crap record in back to backs will be evident again tonight unless some miracle or hockey god intervention happens...if the Nucks manage a loser point from tonight it will be a minor miracle

Lol...it will be a major miracle...as they don’t play tonight. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

It isn't a huge stretch to suggest Tanev and Makry could've been soured especially based on the reports the Canucks were putting their negotiations on hold while they pursued OEL which Benning spent his energy on right up until the deadline. If Tanev and Marky were never going to be re-signed regardless of the OEL deal, that's sort of a big miss by Benning not to relay that to two guys who maybe felt they should command a bit more respect than that.

If that's all it takes to get Petey off his game, just regular hockey business, Benning would probably have traded him by now.

• Cheers 1