The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just a few months ago the Canucks had Toffoli to play top line minutes and Boeser could/would have brought  back a d- man.

Things change, Toffoli is gone and Brock stayed, then the Canucks got Schmidt and Hamonic to bolster the D. No trade needed.

And what if Toffoli decided once Brock was traded he wasn’t interested in signing anymore?

It was a risky move no matter how you slice it. Brock is too important to this team to trade.

Just because some fans weren’t happy with his play at the time doesn’t mean you make a knee jerk trade involving a core player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

People need to lay off all the Virtanen criticism. It’s tired and played out. At this point he is what he is. Doesn’t do any good to continually pile on.

I see the teams development of him as just as much of a factor as his lack of effort. They brought him in too soon and made him think he had made it. Never forced him to kill penalties and learn the defensive side of the game. You can thank Willie for that.

Thats why these early years of a players development are so important and why we’re lucky to have Green teaching them. Just be thankful we have a guy like Hoglander stepping up this season.

Blame can't be on Wee Willie only....Coach Green had Jake in Utica, barely deployed him in a role any different to what he has been on the Canucks...I would say it is on Green for not trying jake on the PK with his speed, he should have developed the D side of his game when he got Demoted to Utica when Green was the Coach

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Blame can't be on Wee Willie only....Coach Green had Jake in Utica, barely deployed him in a role any different to what he has been on the Canucks...I would say it is on Green for not trying jake on the PK with his speed, he should have developed the D side of his game when he got Demoted to Utica when Green was the Coach

Willie was the one who said “welcome to the NHL” as if he had made it.

Regardless if he looked good in camp, Virtanen needed more time in the minors. His two way game was always an issue.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what if Toffoli decided once Brock was traded he wasn’t interested in signing anymore?

It was a risky move no matter how you slice it. Brock is too important to this team to trade.

Just because some fans weren’t happy with his play at the time doesn’t mean you make a knee jerk trade involving a core player.

I'm happy they didn't trade Brock. No way would they have traded Brock with  Toffoli unsigned, imo

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

No kidding :lol:

Nobody’s gotten more stick with less carrot than Jake.  

I think people are just burnt out from getting their hopes up with Virtanen only to have him stumble.  That’s a poor reason to write him off though - still lots of time for him to once again get back on track.  

Nah I think jakes days here are numbered. It’s too much of a distraction for Jake to play in his hometown. Time and time again Jake is has shown he’d rather spend time with his friends in Abbotsford rather than putting in the work. Either trade him to Calgary for Bennett or send him to the Blue Jackets or Carolina where either Torts or Rod will put him in his place. With Macewan and Hoglander and now Podkolzin coming into the mix, Jake is now the odd man out. Hell I’d rather have Eriksson playing right now as he’s actually useful. Jake over skates the puck, doesn’t forecheck or back check hard and rarely ever finishes a check. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Willie was the one who said “welcome to the NHL” as if he had made it.

Regardless if he looked good in camp, Virtanen needed more time in the minors. His two way game was always an issue.

Agreed, his hockey iq was questioned at the draft, hence by Button projected him lower. Jake never played the same in the A or NHL like he did against his youthful peers in the WHL. That unwillingness on his part to get better as he stepped up to a Pro league has left him in the situation he is in now.

Time to move him out, he clearly has been passed over by others and with Podz on the horizon soon its time to try and move him for maybe a RHD. Be great if we could use him in a deal for Timmins or something but unlikely.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Or were you referring to how much more difficult it would be to take brief hops down the coast to play powerhouses like Anaheim, LA and San Jose than it is to fly thousands of kms crossing multiple time zones to play pushovers like Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg?

Personally I like the new format of less travel and playing mini-series against the same teams. I actually suggested something along the same lines years ago, long before COVID, to help combat climate change. Flying 5,000kms to play 1 game then flying all the way back is just silly. Its hard on the players, a waste of money, and has a terrible environmental impact. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Benched, sat out, sent down. low minutes when he does play.

Poster "Jake is being coddled."

Jake has looked slower this year.

It could be that there was no training / pre season and we saw a bunch of guys not look so great in the first 7 games. 

Problem is, he started with a short leash already after a dissapointing playoffs. 

He needed to have come in better shape andfaster. 

I only recall one summer where he worked his butt off

36 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

As far as Hansen's and the Hog's motor being the same, you can add Motte to that list as well.

Hoglander and Motte have some similarities. They both play with a ton of energy. Hoglander has a higher skill set but Motte is quietly turning into a real nice hockey player. For all we know Motte may have lack the confidence. Some people struggle to believe in themselves. 

Jake is a special case. Tons of potential but seems to really lack the drive. Yes the coaching staff has had to be hard on him. They had no choice because Jake lacks the self motivation. If Jake played with the same intensity that Motte dose and did it every shift he would be Greens favorite player. He has the size , mobility and shot to be a difference maker every game. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

You really complaining about the environmental impact of travelling ? If the NHL is such a huge contributor to climate change why don’t we just boycott the NHL and you can get Greta involved and both of you can combat the NHL together. 

how dare you

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

You really complaining about the environmental impact of travelling ? If the NHL is such a huge contributor to climate change why don’t we just boycott the NHL and you can get Greta involved and both of you can combat the NHL together. 

Where is the DAMN loSersson Mophead expression when I need it!? Shame on the mod that removed that...was the only good thing about that player on this team...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

... because the poster clearly demonstrated there are ways to make an impact without suggesting assinine, over the top idiocy?

• Upvote 1

Just now, tas said:

... because the poster clearly demonstrated there are ways to make an impact without suggesting assinine, over the top idiocy?

Well it’s 2021 and there no shortage of asinine over the top idiocy when it comes to cancel culture and politics regarding climate change. The NHL is the least concern. When it comes to climate change I think Canada is doing a pretty damn good job at reducing their carbon footprint. 

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Hoglander and Motte have some similarities. They both play with a ton of energy. Hoglander has a higher skill set but Motte is quietly turning into a real nice hockey player. For all we know Motte may have lack the confidence. Some people struggle to believe in themselves. 

Jake is a special case. Tons of potential but seems to really lack the drive. Yes the coaching staff has had to be hard on him. They had no choice because Jake lacks the self motivation. If Jake played with the same intensity that Motte dose and did it every shift he would be Greens favorite player. He has the size , mobility and shot to be a difference maker every game. 

All's good, but my post had nothing to do with Jake. Why do you people continually drag him into every conversation? This is about Hoglander and Motte having the same motor as Hansen. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Well it’s 2021 and there no shortage of asinine over the top idiocy when it comes to cancel culture and politics regarding climate change. The NHL is the least concern. When it comes to climate change I think Canada is doing a pretty damn good job at reducing their carbon footprint. 

what's the harm in doing more? the only person suggesting canceling anything here is you.

"you want to ban single use straws? why don't you just go around cutting off the head of every second person? that'll make more of a difference."

Edited by tas
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Doing good doesn't mean we can't do better. Why are you taking this to such an extreme? Guy was just suggesting ways to play hockey and minimize travel. You had to go overboard to a stupid level.

15 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Nah I think jakes days here are numbered. It’s too much of a distraction for Jake to play in his hometown. Time and time again Jake is has shown he’d rather spend time with his friends in Abbotsford rather than putting in the work. Either trade him to Calgary for Bennett or send him to the Blue Jackets or Carolina where either Torts or Rod will put him in his place. With Macewan and Hoglander and now Podkolzin coming into the mix, Jake is now the odd man out. Hell I’d rather have Eriksson playing right now as he’s actually useful. Jake over skates the puck, doesn’t forecheck or back check hard and rarely ever finishes a check. 

Major hyperbole here. "Jake went to the pub one night"    reaction-"OMG Jake hasn't done a single push up this off season."

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Jake has looked slower this year.

It could be that there was no training / pre season and we saw a bunch of guys not look so great in the first 7 games. 

Problem is, he started with a short leash already after a dissapointing playoffs. 

He needed to have come in better shape andfaster. 

I only recall one summer where he worked his butt off

Jake spent time in the Okanogan working out with Myers,  so I doubt shape is the problem this season.