The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Can we play Podz only 9 regular season games? Save his rookie status for next year?

With the type of player Podkolzin is, I'm not sure if they'd go that route. He's gonna be a depth player for a bit and it might be smart to try to get his next contract on the cheap before he finds his game. If I were a GM that's what I'd do. 

Offensively I don't think he's there yet, so if you can sign him for under 3 mill it'll open up our window as a team. 

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

So after watching that game it was a fair bit closer than the score suggests.  WPG had some great chances they didn't convert on, but VAN battled hard as well. 

Hard fought game and not looking forward to seeing WPG six more times.  They are probably the nastiest team by far in the Canadian division

We actually play them 8 more times...

Next time will be with Dubois. So yea nice to get the win but it will be tough to get points out of them consistently.

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

With the type of player Podkolzin is, I'm not sure if they'd go that route. He's gonna be a depth player for a bit and it might be smart to try to get his next contract on the cheap before he finds his game. If I were a GM that's what I'd do. 

Offensively I don't think he's there yet, so if you can sign him for under 3 mill it'll open up our window as a team. 

I think there's a realistic possibility that he can only play 9 anyway or maybe not even play depending on the world championship and whether they play or get cancelled

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/canucks-hockey/when-can-the-canucks-sign-vasily-podkolzin-its-complicated-coronavirus-3146135

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

So after watching that game it was a fair bit closer than the score suggests.  WPG had some great chances they didn't convert on, but VAN battled hard as well. 

Hard fought game and not looking forward to seeing WPG six more times.  They are probably the nastiest team by far in the Canadian division

Yeah, we had struggled against them head to head but a win is a win and Demmer made the saves at the right time; next up Montreal - hope we have a better game plan against them.   Great team win last night and looking at the TOI on the D core seemed pretty balance - good on Baumer for the balance deployment..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nice to have depth - and nice to have options.   This shortened schedule is going to start filling the infirmary given how condensed it is ... already happening to other teams.    Like him or not - he's blocking LE... so is Hogs... also it's good to get 11 games out of the way that quickly and to come out unscathed (knock on wood)...well not entirely we have lost Hamonic and Haryulk

Depth is good I agree. Its just sad that is what virtanen has become... Or always has been, press box depth... He basically just fills a spot. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People need to lay off all the Virtanen criticism. It’s tired and played out. At this point he is what he is. Doesn’t do any good to continually pile on.

I see the teams development of him as just as much of a factor as his lack of effort. They brought him in too soon and made him think he had made it. Never forced him to kill penalties and learn the defensive side of the game. You can thank Willie for that.

Thats why these early years of a players development are so important and why we’re lucky to have Green teaching them. Just be thankful we have a guy like Hoglander stepping up this season.

Personally, I do think a change of scenery is what is needed for him. It honestly sucks it hasn't worked out for him here in Van. 

Petey needs to go up a few flex.. I think that’s 4 sticks on the one-timer that he’s snapped. I’m not sure if it’s coincidentally a set play, but after he snapped those first 2 sticks versus Edmonton, on back to back power plays, he went to a slap pass up until the mini Ottawa series... Then he started to let the clappers go again. Last night he snapped a twig on the PP one-timer and after that he lost confidence in the stick and started doing the slap pass again.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Personally, I do think a change of scenery is what is needed for him. It honestly sucks it hasn't worked out for him here in Van. 

Might be. 

But at this point his role is to provide depth for us. I’m sure we’ll see him slot in for someone again. Then we’ll see how bad he wants to stay in the lineup.

Unless we can package him for someone like Vince Dunn, I don’t think giving him away is a smart move. Trading for another project like Bennett definitely isn’t the answer.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Petey needs to go up a few flex.. I think that’s 4 sticks on the one-timer that he’s snapped. I’m not sure if it’s coincidentally a set play, but after he snapped those first 2 sticks versus Edmonton, on back to back power plays, he went to a slap pass up until the mini Ottawa series... Then he started to let the clappers go again. Last night he snapped a twig on the PP one-timer and after that he lost confidence in the stick and started doing the slap pass again.

I think the lower flex benefits his slingshot kind of shooting.  He rarely does a slapshot unless it's a one T on the PP anyway.

Petey's shooting mechanics are actually quite unique. Even his snap shots, it's more like a slingshot, puck just flows right out of his blade in such a smooth fashion.

Edited by Odd.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   McEwen, Motte and Myers tow the line - sure  Miller and Horvat and Edler and some others can do it too (Beagle/AR) but this team like 30 other teams in the league now except for many Vegas, isn't built that way anymore.  It's sad for me and i'm sure for others...Burke made a point showing how many ridiculous soft penalties are called these days... breath on someone wrong ... for sure if there is a game with 9-10 PPs - an entire period of special teams, you should be expecting a barn yard brawl not just the average game.   Hope the league listens to this and fixes it fast. 

Edit: Remember bench clearing brawls?   Feel OTT/PHI a decade or so ago - was like the league getting it out of their system ... you know the game where shift after shift fought each other.   That's a barn yard brawl folks.   

If you have an entire team of gorillas you run into some issues. They struggle more against hot goaltending. They fire a lot of pucks toward the net but they lack the offensive creativity and finish to beat a goalie who is possessed. Gorillas also fatigue easier. Crashing and banging and running a muck isn’t sustainable for 60 mins a game and 4 series. It sounds cliche and ridiculously obvious but you need a balance of Gorillas and Gazelles. 

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno man, I think he’s been possessed by the spirit of Jannik Hansen.

Hes playing like a real honey badger out there.

As much as I loved the way Hansen played, I believe "The Hog's" skill set is way beyond "The Badger". 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, BarnBurner said:

As much as I loved the way Hansen played, I believe "The Hog's" skill set is way beyond "The Badger". 

Of course there’s no doubt there.

Their motors are the same though. That’s the point I was trying to make.

• Cheers 2