The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Was busy this afternoon, started watching after dinner... and I've already turned it off.

They look like a team that doesn't actually want to play, so I choose not to watch anymore of this "effort".

$&!# schedule. Yeah they look like crap, but they must be just fricken beat. I haven't looked, but they've gotta have played more than anyone so far.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Oh look oilers beating Ottawa 

shocker 

making up the stagger 

make the move JB 

Yeah that Ottawa series last week was a mirage. The true showing of what kind of team Vancouver is against the Habs and the team is failing miserably 

Basically playing Ottawa was like in Contra when you enter the Konami Code (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A) and Montreal and the teams when you don't 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Benn can not develop into a top 6 guy 

oj can 

But not sitting in the press box

simple decision  

So you wanted to see both Chatfield and  OJ who have like 10 games experience play against an team we’ve struggled mightily against so far this season? When Benn had been playing just fine. I want to see these guys develop not throw them to the wolves. We got enough problems right now. What healthy team in the league right now is running two rookie defencemen at the same time?

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

And by then Pettersson, Hughes will be out of their ELC and Horvat and Boesser will get paid more due to an extension. 

So it's not like that new cap space will actually mean getting new players. 

No way is one dimensional Brock worth any more. Esp with Hogz and Podz coming.  

Just now, Devron44 said:

So you wanted to see both Chatfield and  OJ who have like 10 games experience play against an team we’ve struggled mightily against so far this season? When Benn had been playing just fine. I want to see these guys develop not throw them to the wolves. We got enough problems right now. What healthy team in the league right now is running two rookie defencemen at the same time?

Its Benn not Tanev 

you are sadly putting your hopes in a marginal nhler 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Vancouver plays the Habs 9 times this season right ? That's 18 points down the drain 

Yep. But as one poster alerted me, the Canucks are 4 & 1 against the Habs. so 16?

And my question is, how many points will they need outside of that series, to make the playoffs...

Edited by Me_

Just now, EddieVedder said:

No way is one dimensional Brock worth any more. Esp with Hogz and Podz coming.  

So Boesser walks. Just like Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli. 

Then I can't wait when Vancouver fills the hole when they decide to pay 9 million for a 30+ year old Free Agent like Mike Hoffman 

23 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

With that logic, why have a coach?

tippet has developed a d out if frankly no names, that is an accomplishment and all coaching 

Look at Montreal, sound d , how many stars? Coaching 

coaching matters 

How you infer that you don't need a coach from what I said is beyond me. 

I'll reiterate it again for you- the Oilers are still a mediocre team despite Tippet at the helm.  That's a roster issue not a coaching issue.

And you should look at MTL.  Not too long ago people wanted Julien fired.  Some key off season adds as well as internal development and look at them now.  Same coach. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Was busy this afternoon, started watching after dinner... and I've already turned it off.

They look like a team that doesn't actually want to play, so I choose not to watch anymore of this "effort".

$&!# schedule. Yeah they look like crap, but they must be just fricken beat. I haven't looked, but they've gotta have played more than anyone so far.

Yep, 4 games more than some teams plus they’ve already had 4 back to backs.

I don’t care what team it is, they’re gonna be tired after that gauntlet no matter how early on the season we are. I’m just glad we’ve avoided injuries for the most part (knock on wood).

We’ll see what some of those other teams do when they have to go through the same thing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yep. But as one poster alerted me, the Canucks are 4 & 1 against the Habs. so 16?

And my question is, how many points will they need outside of that series, to make the playoffs...

Yup.

If they can win the season series vs Wpg, Edm and Ott, as well as take few from Cgy, we're in.

I'm curious to see how we fair vs the leafs. If we can split games with them, then it's all good. But Green has to solve Mtl. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

And Toronto 

and Calgary 

and Edmonton 

all teams we can’t beat 

Edmonton could be a saw the off 

but we ca beat Ottawa!!!! Yay !!! 

Well so far Vancouver has only won 2 games against those teams. And Toronto isn't any easier since they are better than the Habs on paper plus they actually have world beaters like Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. Plus by the time Vancouver players the Leafs they would have lost all their confidence after losing to the Habs badly

29 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yup.

If they can win the season series vs Wpg, Edm and Ott, as well as take few from Cgy, we're in.

I'm curious to see how we fair vs the leafs. If we can split games with them, then it's all good. But Green has to solve Mtl. 

You’re right. Green has to solve Montreal.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

So you wanted to see both Chatfield and  OJ who have like 10 games experience play against an team we’ve struggled mightily against so far this season? When Benn had been playing just fine. I want to see these guys develop not throw them to the wolves. We got enough problems right now. What healthy team in the league right now is running two rookie defencemen at the same 

Right.

Chatfield should be nowhere near this team.  Floats around and plays too soft.  Even Biega, Stetcher and Hutton played with more intensity than this guy.  Would love to see Brisebois dressed next game.

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Its Benn not Tanev 

you are sadly putting your hopes in a marginal nhler 

There’s no hopes. I never said ya woohoo Benns the greatest.. He fills in where needed that’s his job and he was playing jusy fine. +7 in 5 games but whatever man. Btw I hope to see OJ next game but it never made sense to sit Benn until now possibly. But I’d rather see Chatfield sit a game 

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, mll said:

It might be more glaring this year because of this but Canucks have been bad defensively for a while.  Bottom-5 in mid to high danger scoring chances last season but Markstrom top-3 in those type of saves per CSA Hockey.  Probably the most accurate tracking out there as they capture the complete context of the play that leads to a shot (number of screens, passing plays etc).  

Sportlogiq had Vancouver bottom-3 in rush scoring chances against last season (while being also bottom-3 in creation).  They were top of the class in cycle goals but it left them open to rush scoring chances the other way.  

NYI was top of the class in successful controlled zone exits.  Knowing how and when to break out is also part of playing defence. 

Well perhaps NYI really did need a coaching change to unlock their potential.  In VANs case, I've already stated what I think the problem is before pointing fingers at the coaching staff.  How and when to break out is self defeating if you can't execute simple plays.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Well so far Vancouver has only won 2 games against those teams. And Toronto isn't any easier since they are better than the Habs on paper plus they actually have world beaters like Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. Plus by the time Vancouver players the Leafs they would have lost all their confidence after losing to the Habs badly

Agree what the killer will be edmonton has beaten Toronto and will not be swept by montreal and nor will Calgary or Winnipeg 

we are headed for 6th place in the division

Just now, Me_ said:

Green has to solve Montreal.

100%.

Watch the tapes Green. Crack their system, there's gotta be a hole to exploit and make them check the puck pressure... also figure out dump ins on their huge, mobile d isn't gonna work.

Anyways, that's his job. Not mine.

• Like 1