The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

On Roussel’s kneeing call, the Montreal player’s knee looked as far out as AR but I don’t feel aggrieved by the reffing tonight.

had to go pick up a prescription was listening too it on the radio though so missed that, i thought yesterdays game reffing was terrible though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly.

JB will fire Green in the nest 3 weeks.

Or as the slide continues JB's neck goes into the noose if he hangs on to Green.

IMO it is way more important to change the coach right now than the GM.  What is changing the GM going to do in the middle of the season?  Right. Nothing.

Green needs to start by replacing Baumer, our defensive coverage is horrible

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Sad news 

with a worse goalie and a much weaker defense roster the oiler are better defensively. How is that? 

hmmm coaching?

By the way, Tippet’s team is ahead of Green’s team in the standing 

nice try though 

green is awesome though, just look at his body of work .....oh wait 

You're missing the point.  I'm not comparing the Oilers directly to the Canucks. 

Tippet is a sound NHL coach and the Oilers roster has more or less stayed the same throughout the years.  If coaching is the point at issue, then the Oilers should be a significantly better defensive group overall with Tippet compared to Todd McClellan etc.  They arnt.

If Tippet has squeezed the most he can defensively out of that group then it only supports my point-that the Oilers roster collectively arnt good enough.  Coaching isn't a silver bullet that's going to change that.

As far as the Canucks go, I have a hard time blaming the coach's for poor execution.  But I guess scapegoats is the easier conclusion when the players clearly need to be better.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

If you think Benn is an nhl quality top 6 guy you are sadly mistaken 

i am not pinning the game on him at all

we need OJ to develop, Benn is what he is

Yeah thats not the point I was making. He played great the last five games or whatever. One of the few nice surprises this year. Did i think he played well enough last year to be in the top 6, not really. Did I have him pencilled into the top 6 this year. Nope. But he’s played surprisingly well. Do I think OJ deserves some ice time? Yup! Definitely.

You’re literally just looking at one play that happened and went on about playing vets without acknowledging the fact that he’s actually deserved to be in the lineup thus far. It’s like you have your mind set on something about coaching or whatever it is and are ignoring all other facts 

• Cheers 1

Rebuilding is never an easy process.  The good news is that guys like Hoglander, MacEwen, and Chatfield seem to have transitioned successfully to the NHL while guys like Podkolzin and Tryamkin will be joining us soon.  All of our bad transitional “rebuild” contracts will be off the books in less than two years (Ferland, Sutter, Baertschi, Beagle, Eriksson, etc.), while guys like Horvat, Boeser, and Miller will still be under contract for another at relatively low cap hits.   

Our real “window” won’t really start until that time.  For now - I think it’s important that the temporary addition of Toffoli allowed our boys to get a taste of playoff experience while knocking out the defending champs in the process!    

People talk about how Benning has “bled picks,” but look at how many of our players have graduated through our system.  

This year will likely be a regression from last season, but I think it’s similar to our 2007-2008 season, in that, we made a surprise 2nd round Appearance a year prior only to miss the playoffs that season........only to then begin our greatest 5 year stretch in franchise history.  

I think we are at the same point.   I’m not saying that we will enter in our “elite window” next season, but I still think we are definitely trending towards elitehood.

Save this post and let’s see where we are at two years from this date.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Barry Trotz says defensive structure is the easiest thing to fix.  He says playing defense is not skill-based but about character and hard work.  NYI was one of the worse defensive teams when he took over and that 1st season they were the only team that allowed less than 200 goals.  

Bearing down is one thing. Executing defensive passes so you can break out cleanly/not turning pucks over and giving opposing teams glorious scoring chances is another.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Yeah thats not the point I was making. He played great the last five games or whatever. One of the few nice surprises this year. Did i think he played well enough last year to be in the top 6, not really. Did I have him pencilled into the top 6 this year. Nope. But he’s played surprisingly well. Do I think OJ deserves some ice time? Yup! Definitely.

You’re literally just looking at one play that happened and went on about playing vets without acknowledging the fact that he’s actually deserved to be in the lineup thus far. It’s like you have your mind set on something about coaching or whatever it is and are ignoring all other facts 

Weird how someone so knowledgeable about the game has such tunnel vision :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Bearing down is one thing. Executing defensive passes so you can break out cleanly/not turning pucks over and giving opposing teams glorious scoring chances is another.

Fatigue is obviously playing a factor, I don’t think anyone can deny that.

It’s not like the entire team just forgot how to pass. They’re not mentally sharp right now and that’s contributing to our losses.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

It might be more glaring this year because of this but Canucks have been bad defensively for a while.  Bottom-5 in mid to high danger scoring chances last season but Markstrom top-3 in those type of saves per CSA Hockey.  Probably the most accurate tracking out there as they capture the complete context of the play that leads to a shot (number of screens, passing plays etc).  

Sportlogiq had Vancouver bottom-3 in rush scoring chances against last season (while being also bottom-3 in creation).  They were top of the class in cycle goals but it left them open to rush scoring chances the other way.  

NYI was top of the class in successful controlled zone exits.  Knowing how and when to break out is also part of playing defence. 

• Like 2