The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Mtl vs. Van is the tale of two teams differently affected by the pandemic.  Where Van was anticipating more cap space and the opportunity to sign their players to continue to improve their team they were stopped dead in their tracks by the new economic reality of the NHL.  Meanwhile, Mtl was well positioned to sign good players at lower dollars, to provide capable veterans to their emerging young core of players and greatly improve their team.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You're missing the point.  I'm not comparing the Oilers directly to the Canucks. 

Tippet is a sound NHL coach and the Oilers roster has more or less stayed the same throughout the years.  If coaching is the point at issue, then the Oilers should be a significantly better defensive group overall with Tippet compared to Todd McClellan etc.  They arnt.

If Tippet has squeezed the most he can defensively out of that group then it only supports my point-that the Oilers roster collectively arnt good enough.  Coaching isn't a silver bullet that's going to change that.

As far as the Canucks go, I have a hard time blaming the coach's for poor execution.  But I guess scapegoats is the easier conclusion when the players clearly need to be better.   

With that logic, why have a coach?

tippet has developed a d out if frankly no names, that is an accomplishment and all coaching 

Look at Montreal, sound d , how many stars? Coaching 

coaching matters 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Why because they’re better than the Canucks?

The division is great, our roster is below average

Haha yeah!  Because for once *almost all the Canadian teams are pretty kick ass for a change, and we're struggling hard af.

Edited by JustRich

27 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah thats not the point I was making. He played great the last five games or whatever. One of the few nice surprises this year. Did i think he played well enough last year to be in the top 6, not really. Did I have him pencilled into the top 6 this year. Nope. But he’s played surprisingly well. Do I think OJ deserves some ice time? Yup! Definitely.

You’re literally just looking at one play that happened and went on about playing vets without acknowledging the fact that he’s actually deserved to be in the lineup thus far. It’s like you have your mind set on something about coaching or whatever it is and are ignoring all other facts 

Benn can not develop into a top 6 guy 

oj can 

But not sitting in the press box

simple decision  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Can't wait for 2 years to go by and free up the dead cap space. 

And by then Pettersson, Hughes will be out of their ELC and Horvat and Boesser will get paid more due to an extension. 

So it's not like that new cap space will actually mean getting new players. 

It has been incredibly disheartening for Canucks fans to see Tofolli lighting the lamp against us. It seems likely to also be a real bummer playing against Tanev/Markstrom in Calgary.  Right now it seems obvious that the team has not improved this year, but taken a step back.  

Toffoli + Tanev  + Markstrom   >  Virtanen + Schmidt + Holtby + cost of a buyout/trade (money saved somewhere, somehow)

Although much of what has happened to our team is the result of economic circumstances, some of it can be squarely dropped at the feet of management/ownership who appear to have made the wrong decisions about the current team and why there is so much debate about the Benning management group's ability to scout pro players.

Edited by Comeback_Kings
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Mtl vs. Van is the tale of two teams differently affected by the pandemic.  Where Van was anticipating more cap space and the opportunity to sign their players to continue to improve their team they were stopped dead in their tracks by the new economic reality of the NHL.  Meanwhile, Mtl was well positioned to sign good players at lower dollars, to provide capable veterans to their emerging young core of players and greatly improve their team.  

Such a garbage excuse . Our cap space is a problem because of benning not a pandemic .

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, JustRich said:

I still like this team,

I loathe this division is all. 

There is nothing wrong with this team a good coach could not fix.

There is a ton of talent up front in the first two lines... they just need someone to coach them to play more fluidly.  And a new PP coach.

The third and fourth lines are playing worse than their potential... they could easily improve, just need some structure.

The defense is the real problem...  Edler is the only really good 'D' player, but he's only a No. 2 at best... Hughes has tons of 'O' talent, but needed someone like Tanev to cover for his defensive handicaps of inexperience and lack of size.  He is not a real #1... right now he adds up to a #3.  The loss of Tanev combined with Markstrom's loss is a real difference in the team.  Marky is not playing particularly well in Calgary because he misses Ian Clarke who he had an exceptional relationship with.

Myers is a No. 4, jury is out on Nate Schmidt... right now he is a No. 4.  The rest are basically No. 7's.

So we have a No. 2, a No. 3, two No. 4's and a bunch of No. 7's.  Tanev was a No. 2 when paired correctly but he is not there now.  When Hughes was paired with Tanev he was a No. 2 as well.

Holtby and Demko are more than capable of playing goal for this team, but they are not last year's Marky... they have shown they cannot deal with being hung out to dry by the defensive lapses and give-aways.  Marky's season last year was team MVP.

Basically it comes down to the Team needing to start over with a new coach who can install a defensive system that incorporates the forwards and makes up for the weak D.  Plus that coach needs to bring along Hughes and Juolevi.

And Benning needs to restrain his impulse to trade picks and prospects and overpay for any player who becomes available... especially avoid the 'playoff' trades like last year's Toffoli disaster.  Only trade for players who you can sign and who will become a permanent part of the team.  Rentals are for Cup Contenders, not wanna be's.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They have all the confidence in the world playing against us and we don’t have any right now.

Happens all the time with certain teams. No reason to overreact.

There are plenty of reasons we should be very concerned with the product on the ice we have seen this season minus Ottawa and game 1 vs Edmonton. Like I said before, the team looks defeated and deflated. We are nearly 1/4 through the year and there is not a lot of room for error with the condensed schedule.